Question about self-belaying to a new position...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zebco Kid

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
First, please forgive me as I'm sure my vocabulary isn't exactly right for what I'm asking.

This is a question about moving about the canopy. I enter the canopy from the ground. When I arrive at my desired destination, I lanyard in, disconnect my primary line, and coil the rope and throw it over the next limb, which will often be higher and some distance away. As I'm using my original primary line to advance up and through the canopy, were I too undo the lanyard, and commit to the newly placed anchor, I would swing. As I climb DRT, I know (and often do) simply use the other end of the rope, and traverse under tension from the first anchor to the second. Here's my question...is it acceptable to simply "self belay" from the original location using a Munter hitch or a belay device with the standing part of the rope? This would allow me to travers under control toward (underneath) the new anchor point. When I reach my destination (no tension on the standing line), I can simply pull it back to me. I'm not sure if this saves any time or hassle. I'm just wondering if it is an "orthodox" way to move through the canopy?

Thank you in advance for your input.

ZK

Hello Jolly Logger,

Thank you for the reply. Nothing is wrong. I'm just a tentative newbie. Being conservative.

ZK

Yes...I am gorging on tree climbing information, lectures, reviews, techniques, etc. I have not seen anyone regarding this technique/approach. I'll give it a try this afternoon.

B86342C0-38A1-41D9-893E-B8309335B879.jpeg

Yes...I am gorging on tree climbing information, lectures, reviews, techniques, etc. I have not seen anyone regarding this technique/approach. I'll give it a try this afternoon.

View attachment 914734
Once you set your line in the fourth fork up that leader facing us, you own that tree, you can get anywhere in that canopy.

OK. I climbed yesterday and gave the idea a whirl. Worked great.

my new tie in point was about 15’ from my original and 6’ higher. The original was horizontal to me. My lanyard was too short to be used to belay me all the way to the new tie “area”. So, I simply used the standing part of my rope around a limb and back to me with my Petzl ReversO belay device. Once I was where I wanted to be, I simply disconnected the ReversO, pulled the standing part back, and continued on. Worked like a charm.

Excellent point. Your comment about the fourth fork up on the oak tree got me thinking about that very idea.

Funny how one enters a sport/activity. As I'm learning on my own, I have come to see moving the TIP as the thing. This weekend I'll start focusing on optimizing from the beginning. That will be a fun challenge. Thank you for the inspiration.

DG

Excellent point. Your comment about the fourth fork up on the oak tree got me thinking about that very idea.

Funny how one enters a sport/activity. As I'm learning on my own, I have come to see moving the TIP as the thing. This weekend I'll start focusing on optimizing from the beginning. That will be a fun challenge. Thank you for the inspiration.

DG
As a fun and useful exercise, pick a branch maybe 15-20' up. Stand back 10-15' and work on your pinch technique... send it up over the limb, letting the line run through your hand, and then give it a pinch right after it passes the limb, and then let go... practice that until the throwball comes right back at you and catch it... then just keep working higher into the canopy until you can do that higher...

Latest posts

Back