Question about WOT and limbing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nebuchadnezzar

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello!

Chainsaws are designed to be run WOT (Wide Open Throttle) while in a cut, and WOT is typically safer even when limbing (because a chain moving quickly that's sharp is less likely to snag a branch), but is there any considerations ya'll have about how little load the chain has on smaller branches, and do you ever go less than WOT when limbing? Perhaps for reasons of protecting the saw's motor?

I have heard some say that if you regularly use a chainsaw with less than WOT then it can mess up the carburetor. I don't think that applies to me (M-Tronic STIHL), because I can reset the carb whenever I want. The only reliability issues in running non-WOT that I can think of is that perhaps the spark arrestor would eventually have a greater carbon build up (and spark plug for that matter) because modern two-strokes run cleanest at WOT.

Any thoughts?
Thanks

Ps. Resetting M-Tronic requires you to run the saw at WOT outside of a cut (only a portion of that is actually at full rpm as the computer adjusts). I prefer the efficiency of that over needing to be in wood (AT), but does anyone else feel like that may one day hurt the saw?

I run mine wide open through most the cut but slow down at the very end unless it's a tree falling and uncut wood is pulling and splitting the log apart when i am concerned about the log for market. If doing firewood with the whole tree it doesn't hurt my feelings if it splits some but it can be dangerous or fatal should it barberchair suddenly. Heavy leaners or if you are directional pulling and putting tension to the fall are the most likely to barber chair bad.
I am unaware of hurting a chainsaw cutting at lower speeds then wot, but i suppose you could cause some problems if that was what you most did.
During some training a woman come through a felling cut wide open and the saw blade kept going right to her chaps and bounced off cutting the chaps. That is 1 reason i usually slow down unless it needs cut fast to avoid wood breakage. Bucking fire wood i slow down neari ng the ground watching and waiting to see and feel bark contacting the chain to prevent exiting into the ground and quickly dulling the chain.

Hello!

Chainsaws are designed to be run WOT (Wide Open Throttle) while in a cut, and WOT is typically safer even when limbing (because a chain moving quickly that's sharp is less likely to snag a branch), but is there any considerations ya'll have about how little load the chain has on smaller branches, and do you ever go less than WOT when limbing? Perhaps for reasons of protecting the saw's motor?

I have heard some say that if you regularly use a chainsaw with less than WOT then it can mess up the carburetor. I don't think that applies to me (M-Tronic STIHL), because I can reset the carb whenever I want. The only reliability issues in running non-WOT that I can think of is that perhaps the spark arrestor would eventually have a greater carbon build up (and spark plug for that matter) because modern two-strokes run cleanest at WOT.

Any thoughts?
Thanks

Ps. Resetting M-Tronic requires you to run the saw at WOT outside of a cut (only a portion of that is actually at full rpm as the computer adjusts). I prefer the efficiency of that over needing to be in wood (AT), but does anyone else feel like that may one day hurt the saw?
No sensible answer here will come close to you getting behind your saw and gaining insight. Experience will give you all the answers and understanding.

I wot, burp it on small branches, limbs. Let it eat through the wood as it exits it slows down.

Let off once and a while and rev it to clean out the chips. Supposedly it also helps with cooling. Limbing not a problem wot or slowing down but bucking pull off once and a while to do the above.

WOT is typically safer even when limbing (because a chain moving quickly that's sharp is less likely to snag a branch)
Seems to me that's more than enough reason alone to never run a saw under load EXCEPT at WOT, regardless of whether half-throttle hurts the saw.

I don't think half-throttle will hurt the saw, but if it's more likely to hurt ME at half-throttle when limbing, I ain't gonna do it.

I have had a lot of crap try to or hurt me using chainsaws in 40 + years of using them but I don't recall it ever due to it running less then w.o.t.
. I would think if anything serious or very painful happened on that account I would remember.
Need to get through wood plenty fast that could barber chair or the like. Limbing small limbs I don't think much on wot, just accelerate, as the chain nears the limb,cut through it what ever it takes that gets through it at a comfortable speed and control it finishing the cut. Imo there is more danger wot going into and coming out of the cuts wot when your in a mess of branches, from accidental contact of the bar nose with another limb causing severe kickback at wot or if something let loose above the branch you cut it could fall on top your bar sending it to 1 of your body parts. Want to be safe, control the fall of the wood and lessen the chain revelations on exit.

Latest posts

Back