Question on Husky Auto Tune

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fordiesel69

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score

So my question is......with this video the 555 he is resetting starts off WAY too rich. No worries, it is going to detect this in the cut and make the adjustment which it did. So if you notice this took a very long time like 40 seconds or so ( I honestly did not count but it seems like a while). Now what happens when you shelf the saw after operating it in the 80 degree F ambient, and the autotune reset to lean and stored those values, and you try using it in the winter. Will the 40 seconds of being too lean hurt anything when it is trying to re-tune?

I guess I was shocked it too so long to tune itself leaner, which makes me nervous when it starts off too lean and has to take forever to go richer.

Resetting takes around a minute at no load. During normal operation the saw runs good almost immediately. I ran my 562xp for years without ever resetting and it always ran spot on. Auto Tune and MTronic are a huge benefit to the average user.

I agree with you, it’s ridiculous that you’re expected to do this…

if only there was a simpler solution…

View attachment 1053624

Most guys can't tune a carb to save their lives and most won't bother tuning daily or semi daily. As such AT/MT are much better than an adjustable carb.

I can tune a carb well and to be honest was skeptical of the compensating carbs. Then I ran a few and I would never go back to screw adjustable a carb now.

It's a non issue. The at/Mt constantly tunes as it's runs. The system will figure itself out before the first cut is done. 90% of people can't tune an engine if their life depended on it. These systems have been a godsend to equipment.

It's a non issue. The at/Mt constantly tunes as it's runs. The system will figure itself out before the first cut is done. 90% of people can't tune an engine if their life depended on it. These systems have been a godsend to equipment.
Amen. I can barely carry a tune much less tune a chainsaw. I am tone deaf.
“What’s that noise?”

Amen. I can barely carry a tune much less tune a chainsaw. I am tone deaf.
“What’s that noise?”
Tuning by ear until you hear the motor four stroke isnt a great way to tune.. When a motor is four stroking it means that the motor has so much fuel in the combustion chamber it's intermittently misfiring. Peak HP and torque is well leaner than this and only in the chainsaw world is this an exceptable way to set a carb.

I did not intentionally want to turn this into an autotune vs manual tune debate. I understand peoples opinions, but i am only wanting to know that for the 40 sec it took to go from rich to lean, is this going to be an issue if it takes 40 sec from lean to rich again after being on the shelf?

I did not intentionally want to turn this into an autotune vs manual tune debate. I understand peoples opinions, but i am only wanting to know that for the 40 sec it took to go from rich to lean, is this going to be an issue if it takes 40 sec from lean to rich again after being on the shelf?
No..because you don't hear reset procedure unloaded and the 40second thing is only while doing a reset. It responds several times a second in normal usage.

As a owner of both 450mk2 and 550xp mk2...I know that idle on both is set too low from a factory...

While that is trivial to correct with 450 model.....does anybody happen to know if a dealer can rise idle rpms of A/T saw?
Did idle re-set on 550xp yesterday (3+ minutes of idling)....but chainsaw is still a little to "shaky" for me while idling....

As a owner of both 450mk2 and 550xp mk2...I know that idle on both is set too low from a factory...

While that is trivial to correct with 450 model.....does anybody happen to know if a dealer can rise idle rpms of A/T saw?
Did idle re-set on 550xp yesterday (3+ minutes of idling)....but chainsaw is still a little to "shaky" for me while idling....
I’m not sure if it’s the same as a stihl, but I’m sure it probably is. There is a small screw under the solenoids on the carb, you can turn them in, though if you have to, it’s likely you’re covering up a bigger problem rather than repairing that issue.

450 runs flawlessly (2.5 yrs old).....550xp mk2 is a recent acquisition.....I only ran like 3-4 tanks trough it....
If it's like any of the autotune/mtrinics they take a few tanks to break in and run right. I wasn't super impressed with my ms 400 till tank 8 give or take. Easier starting and the power really came in. Went through similar with the 562xp when I bought that.

Latest posts

Back