Questions about clutches, also cross-ref question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeer007

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all! So I'm about to ask about something that is very likely frowned upon in most respectable forums. So I have a no-name Chinese chainsaw.. yes, yes I know. Go ahead.. laugh, get it all out now :)

The reasons are multiple, but suffice to say I'm not a pro but I do harvest firewood to help heat my house. I've also got like.. shoot IDK half a dozen kids or so, so I can't justify dumping the $$ it takes to get a real saw (even though I'd love to). I cut about 4 cords as year and the random limbs from storm damage. So this does what I need.
Anyway.. now that that's out of the way I sincerely hope that doesn't turn ya'll off from reading the rest. So I've got this 62cc saw and it's honestly been great. However the clutch design is rather bad, IMO. It's one of these: https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51Prs+mvYFL._AC_SX679_.jpg I've gone thru two of these now in the span of a year.. first time I broke one of the triad arms off removing it. This time the spring broke inside thereby locking it inside the drum. You can still cut but it's not fun nor as safe.
So I'm hoping to find a better replacement that'll fit. the thread pitch is 1.25mm and I calipered the hole and it's 9.5mm. It's driving a 3/8 7T rim sprocket if that makes any difference. I <believe> a Stihl 372 is 1.25 but it's a 14mm which is way too large. I can't find any sort of clutch specs chart, or crankshaft specs chart or anything that might be helpful unless Im just unfamiliar with the right keywords to search for.

Second question, I've been searching for the past hour and no one, anywhere.. lists thread pitch or clutch/crankshaft hole size. Are the 'clutch sizes' like .325, 3/8, .404 usually indicative of the size of shaft they fit? Or is that entirely irrelevant and/or by chance?

Thank you so much!

Those Cinky dink 62cc things are a copy of something else like Shindiawa, Tanaka or something, can't remember which- but I have found usually there is not a whole lot wrong with the spider of friction shoes of aftermarket clutches- their big let down is their springs- I'd hazard a bet there is a Husqvarna similar size clutch and clutch spring that will swap over and an OEM Husqvarna spring would be a much more suitable part.
Then keep your eyes and ears open for an old Husqvarna 61 for sale in your local region- MUCH better and more easily found older saw that will still do what you want to do VERY well and cheaply, plus parts are easily found for it, or for it to be upgraded to a larger CC saw.

Thanks Bob, I have a mis-ordered Clutch that's supposed to fit Husq models: 340, 345, 346XP, 350, 351, 353, 445 and 450. Except it's tpi is 1.0.
So close, yet so far away..

Thanks Bob, I have a mis-ordered Clutch that's supposed to fit Husq models: 340, 345, 346XP, 350, 351, 353, 445 and 450. Except it's tpi is 1.0.
So close, yet so far away..

But will the spring from that clutch fit the clutch you have with a broken spring?
ie: you do not have to replace the entire clutch- just the broken piece.

I'm gong to try to stretch a part of this broken spring out a bit. See if I can band-aid it for a bit until I source something that fits.

No I do, one end snapped off. Honestly I'd had those jump apart before and they are a complete PITA to re-assemble. If I can't stretch what's left just a bit then it ain't going back together.
There are a number of differences between mine and the one like linked. Either way I think we're segwaying from the topic. I can order another just like the one with the broken spring.. and I <might> be able to get this one back together. What I'm really hoping for is finding a better/beefier/more reliable clutch design that fits an M9.5x1 LH. I mean, that'd tickle my under belly.

@JD My bad, I didn't quite get your meaning earlier. No, the clutch piece that broke earlier this year.. nah it's long gone. I usually save useful bits from things but I think I was too mad at that one to care :)

Hi all! So I'm about to ask about something that is very likely frowned upon in most respectable forums. So I have a no-name Chinese chainsaw.. yes, yes I know. Go ahead.. laugh, get it all out now :)

The reasons are multiple, but suffice to say I'm not a pro but I do harvest firewood to help heat my house. I've also got like.. shoot IDK half a dozen kids or so, so I can't justify dumping the $$ it takes to get a real saw (even though I'd love to). I cut about 4 cords as year and the random limbs from storm damage. So this does what I need.
Anyway.. now that that's out of the way I sincerely hope that doesn't turn ya'll off from reading the rest. So I've got this 62cc saw and it's honestly been great. However the clutch design is rather bad, IMO. It's one of these: https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51Prs+mvYFL._AC_SX679_.jpg I've gone thru two of these now in the span of a year.. first time I broke one of the triad arms off removing it. This time the spring broke inside thereby locking it inside the drum. You can still cut but it's not fun nor as safe.
So I'm hoping to find a better replacement that'll fit. the thread pitch is 1.25mm and I calipered the hole and it's 9.5mm. It's driving a 3/8 7T rim sprocket if that makes any difference. I <believe> a Stihl 372 is 1.25 but it's a 14mm which is way too large. I can't find any sort of clutch specs chart, or crankshaft specs chart or anything that might be helpful unless Im just unfamiliar with the right keywords to search for.

Second question, I've been searching for the past hour and no one, anywhere.. lists thread pitch or clutch/crankshaft hole size. Are the 'clutch sizes' like .325, 3/8, .404 usually indicative of the size of shaft they fit? Or is that entirely irrelevant and/or by chance?

Thank you so much!
Check out small Poulan clutches.
Someone may confirm it might fit or not.
Shindiawa or Tanaka might work as stated above.
Likely a 50ish CC motor part on better offerings.

If you can match the offset and get the shoes to set right on your clutch drum have someone change the threads at a machine shop if needed. You can shim a spider but it's not recommended for long term use.

Really you just need to figure out what its a clone of. It will make finding parts much easier. Care to take a few pics of your saw and post it? Would make life a lot easier for us to help you.

Actually.. the more I look. I'm seeing this same case, clutch, cover, dogs,.. lots of similarities with the Dereal 62, as well as the X-Bull found on ebay. All those seem to orbit Zenoah.

Looks like a Zenoah clone to me. The covers etc can be quite different between manufacturers/ retailers but the underlying saw is the same (even for the "different" cc models in some cases :s )
I would suggest visiting some of your local small engine shops & asking if you can dig through any of their saw carcus's looking for a suitable spring. Chances are you'll at least find a junk saw with the same clutch as yours (& in my experience the clutch isn't the most common problem with them) & they'll probably let you have the whole thing for a few bux

This lineage of Chicom saws started by cloning the Zenoah G455AVS (sold in the US as RedMax G455AVS). I have two of the original Zenoah and these are my go to saws if I need to cut anything or fall any tree under say 20" or some such. Truly excellent, well built, light weight and well balanced saws(!)

Over the years, I've also picked up several Chicom equivalents for free (or almost) "for parts", but never needed a part *lol*

The Chineese guys started putting on bigger jugs (52cc at first), but imho didn't make any other major changes, so I'd be surprised if the clutch would have changed much. Of course, that may be the problem right there: Same clutch from a 45cc now running 62cc?
But more likely the problem is the inferior materials used.

Clutch on the images for the Coocheer you linked to for the looks the same as on my Zenoahs

The Zenoah part numbers for the G455AVS are:
2670-512000 Clutch ass'y earlier IPLs
848C805121 Clutch ass'y later IPLs
3317-51231 Spring only
2880-51110 Drum (for Rim sprocket)
3350-51121 Rim sprocket

The clutch assembly from the later IPLs is shared with the G500 (50cc) so that just may have been updated, but should still have the same fit.

So my guess (no guarantees though) would be that if you manage to get the clutch OEM from Zenoah/RedMax you'd have the same fit, but better quality steel.

@Pudsy Agreed. The images I found last night of teh oem Zenoah clutches.. with the exception of the cross drilled holes, looked like overall better material, more exacting craftsmanship and identical.

Back