Quick cost benefit analysis on trailers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcurbanloggers

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys, I started my own tree business a few years ago to put me through college and it has been a great success! I’m planning on upgrading my rig shortly. I’m debating between two dump trailers. One is 7x14 the other is 7x12. Normally I wouldn’t hesitate to go with the 14 but there are some special circumstances here: 1. My local dealer was able to cut me a deal on the 12 footer and is momentarily holding the price. She has quoted me at $7,125. She cannot cut me a deal on the 14ft so that can be had for $8,150, which is pretty standard around here. 2. I have a 2001 7.3 3/4 ton with SRW. I will NOT be buying another truck any time soon. It has 160k on the clock and I’m driving it until it dies. I worry that a 14 footer will put way too much tongue weight on the rear. The axles are so much closer to the hitch on the 12ft that i think the truck will be happier hauling it... but I don’t know — maybe tongue weight is less than I am expecting it to be. I have a class V factory hitch that says it can handle 1,250 lbs tongue weight, but that happens to be exactly 10% of the ford’s suggested max towing capacity, so it may be capable of more. 3. I am moving around a lot with school and work etc, so storage is always of concern, so that may be easier with a 12ft.
So the question(s) is this: would an extra 2ft of Length be worth the tongue weight and an extra $1,000? Is hauling brush on a 12 footer too difficult or slow? Will the bigger trailer upset my truck? How much brush can I realistically haul with either trailer, namely the 12ft? Right now I’m piling it high on 5x10 utility trailer — how much more capacity could the dump allow me? Since I’m also a full time student, I’m usually only taking 15 hours worth of jobs a week. I do not need to be crazy efficient to make money — I’m just trying to be more professional and make my work days go a little smoother. Let me know what you think. I appreciate the advice. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you plan on hauling anything in the trailer like a mini-excavator or skid steer? My trailer is 18ft and it's just about right in length for my skid steer with attachment on it.

I had looked at dump trailers and decided to just get dump trucks. Dump trailers sturdy enough to haul 2 cords were close to 10k when I priced them. I have maybe 20k in 4 dump trucks.

Do you plan on hauling anything in the trailer like a mini-excavator or skid steer? My trailer is 18ft and it's just about right in length for my skid steer with attachment on it.

I had looked at dump trailers and decided to just get dump trucks. Dump trailers sturdy enough to haul 2 cords were close to 10k when I priced them. I have maybe 20k in 4 dump trucks.

I don’t plan to haul anything other than brush, logs, and firewood. I very occasionally rent a machine for a job, but frequently they are way too big (think d6 dozer big) for that sort of set up anyways. Maybe I’ll haul a skid steer some day but I can’t really afford to factor that in to my decision now.

I don’t plan to haul anything other than brush, logs, and firewood. I very occasionally rent a machine for a job, but frequently they are way too big (think d6 dozer big) for that sort of set up anyways. Maybe I’ll haul a skid steer some day but I can’t really afford to factor that in to my decision now.

Thoughts anyone? Suggestions?

May be worth looking on your local Craigslist for dump trucks.

Around here 7k would buy a decent setup.

I've had several dump trailers over the years from 8' to 14', I'd be happy to have all of them again except the 14'. It was just too big IMO and the only real benefit was the extra room to haul equipment. I really like deck over dump trailers as the between the tire dumps drag out the pile forever. I currently have a high side 6x10 deck over that cost $5K, every once in a while I wish it was a 12 but I enjoy the compact dumped pile and ability to get in tight spaces with the 10' trailer. I rarely haul brush, but if I did I could see how the 12 would be nice.

For ME, I would go for the larger trailer.
My own trailer is a 6x12, with a ramp gate, not a Dump, but I sure wish it was :D. I'm not using it for business but I have never regretted not getting a smaller trailer. I have had people say "Gee, is your trailer BIG Enough?", and I just say, "Well, NOT REALLY but I make do with it" if it was ever Stolen or totaled in an accident, I have already decided I would replace it with a 6'10"x16' Dumper, with triple 5,000# axles.

Yep, a smaller trailer can get into a FEW more places than a larger trailer, but a couple of feet in length won't be that big of difference in that respect, and I will take the extra capacity as a very worthwhile trade for ME.

I pull my trailer with a 94 F350 crew cab long bed, and just backed 3/4 of a mile down an overgrown old logging road to turn around, 2' of length wouldn't have made a difference in where I could have turned around, and longer trailers DO Behave Better when backing. But hey, I have been a Truck Driver for 30 years, so a 3/4 mile backup wasn't a big deal, and I got some damn nice firewood out of it:).

I am often running the trailer I have near or over it's load ratings, so for ME, a larger trailer wood ;) be a no brainer, but what is right for YOU, may be different.

I may ADD a smaller trailer in the future, I occasionally see a use for one, but I won't hesitate to put 2 1/2 yards of Pea Gravel in the one I have, and Two loads sounds a whole lot better than FIVE loads to Me;).

Doug :cheers:

Latest posts

Back