Railroad axe build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
357F300C-23DB-460B-8902-584DFEA29125.jpeg 539A04C9-CB52-4F94-951A-B9F9ED5C0B00.jpeg 769BFC83-970B-4EE9-95A3-7ABAE54B7942.jpeg E55D6072-12EB-42AC-948B-76F89BFFFE3A.jpeg building this from railroad that a customer at work gave me. Milled the top about about 1 1/4 so far and I’ll add some steel behined it in c channel form so the wood will come out of the back a inch also. Making my own handle aswell out of some tuff elm that didn’t wanna split. Handle is 19” total length and axe head is about 3 lbs now or so. It was 3.8 before I cut off the bottom and milled the groove. I’ve got a question, right now the groove is straight. Does it need to be tapered 2-3 degree?thanks a lot

Cool project. It's hard to get it ito perspective. It looks big, but if you have it down to 3 pounds, that's good. My favorite weight for a splitting axe is 3.5-4 pounds on a long handle. Nice to have a mill. I never thought about it, looks like you might be able to make a nice wedge for a splitter from a piece of track too?

Oh well, just a thought. I have a piece of track that was ground into a pretty little anvil. Should I be warry of it chipping? It's small enough I'd only be using a ball peen on it.

I have a piece made into a anvil also.I beat the heck out of it with no problems. Rail will harden and eventually chip. I got a scar on my arm where a chip the size of a 22 shell flew off and went to the bone. Had to have it cut out. So yea it will chip. Keep any flanges as a result of striking, ground down and it should work well for years.

I’ve never machined a hunk of rail but I always envisioned it being tough as hell...judging by how easily you put that big slot in it with a HSS end mill it must not be too tough. Is the area that contacts the wheels surface hardened and the rest soft ?

I’ve never machined a hunk of rail but I always envisioned it being tough as hell...judging by how easily you put that big slot in it with a HSS end mill it must not be too tough. Is the area that contacts the wheels surface hardened and the rest soft ?

Lots of diffeerent types of rail. You can dent it with a hammer. The more you hit it the harder it gets. They use a lot of head hardened rail in hump yards, but usually on just the hump itself. Might see some head harden rail on high tonnage rail lines, but most isnt.

Back