• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

RatchetScrench: The original ratcheting scrench!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched the promo video in the first post and I am interested to know why in a 2minute promo video did you only show the smaller 14mm side of the tool being used (ie Husky bar nuts). Not once in the multiple demo's did you show the 3/4"/19mm socket being used as you would find on a Stihl saw. I only ask this as in my experience the clutch covers on stihls don't allow for most standard sockets to be used as their too thick walled. You need a thin walled socket to fit particularly on the front bar nut. There is a bunch of room on the Husky clutch covers with the smaller nuts for any socket to work but it's a tight fine tolerance with the 19mm nuts on Stihls with the recessed area on the clutch cover. Is this why not a single demo was done in the vid? I'd like to see it undo captive bar nuts on Stihl pro saws.

I got one that fits those in here somewhere. You know it dont fit those small plugs ;).

But never know. Maybe someday.

View attachment 837111
I actually just keep a 5/8" spark plug socket and a 3/8" ratchet in the tool box for that little plug. Not like they go bad often, just more of a do we have options for size or what not?

Will this reach in to remove a spark plug on an "0" series Stihl without removing the top cover?
Thanks for the question, cuinrearview. Please see the images. The first shows the depth of the 19mm socket, which is about 16mm. (The 13mm socket is the same depth). The other picture shows the thickness of the socket at about 3mm. Hopefully this is enough to answer your question.

The "0" series Stihls are 2000 model-year and older, I believe. While the RatchetScrench could not reach the SPARKPLUG of a Stihl 034 AV Super, I'm happy to say that the 19mm bar nuts have not changed size, so they still fit. (I'm working on a quick video to show that, coming soon).

The RatchetScrench's dimensions closely mimic those of a low-profile traditional scrench. So, if you cannot reach into the sparkplug like a deep-socket scrench could, you can fit underneath 3/4 and full-wrap bars, while deep-socket screnches cannot.

Every millimeter of detail was considered while designing the RatchetScrench. I've used primarily Stihl and Husqvarna chainsaws in my career (like most pros, I'd imagine) and the functional goal was to make the most compatible tool, in the most ways, primarily for both of these brands. Nothing against other brands... just not as much testing with them.
IMG_4486.JPGIMG_4487.JPG

While not a quick process, the designing and prototyping was some of the most fun part of this project. My normal job involves running a chainsaw all day, every day, and once I thought I had all of the necessary measurements, down to the millimeter, prototyping began:
IMG_4488.JPG
:)So, the RatchetScrench is a tool that accomplishes these priorities:
1. Add ratcheting technology to the scrench.
2. Fit under 3/4 and full-wrap bars
3. Match the dimensions of a low-profile scrench as closely as possible.
4. Make a flathead screwdriver tip that fits into the bar chain-groove.

Hope this helps! Thanks again!

I watched the promo video in the first post and I am interested to know why in a 2minute promo video did you only show the smaller 14mm side of the tool being used (ie Husky bar nuts). Not once in the multiple demo's did you show the 3/4"/19mm socket being used as you would find on a Stihl saw. I only ask this as in my experience the clutch covers on stihls don't allow for most standard sockets to be used as their too thick walled. You need a thin walled socket to fit particularly on the front bar nut. There is a bunch of room on the Husky clutch covers with the smaller nuts for any socket to work but it's a tight fine tolerance with the 19mm nuts on Stihls with the recessed area on the clutch cover. Is this why not a single demo was done in the vid? I'd like to see it undo captive bar nuts on Stihl pro saws.
Great questions, CR888. Thanks!

While making my video, I would film with the saws that I used every day at work, which happened to be Husqvarnas.
You're right: I should have included footage of use with Stihl, as well. (That's not to say the research wasn't done while including Stihl; numerous trips were made to saw shops where I would get weird looks as I checked prototypes on their saws).

The RatchetScrench does work with most Stihl chainsaws since most Stihls use a 19mm bar nut. (If the nuts aren't 13mm or 19mm, it won't work).
Here's the RatchetScrench fitting on an old Stihl 034 AV Super (19mm nuts):
IMG_4490.JPGIMG_4492.JPG
As far as the clearance on that front nut, I know exactly what you are referring to, and that is why I had the thickness of the socket made 3mm thick:
1592717179297.png
The strategy during design was to stay as close as possible to the dimensions of a traditional low-profile scrench (not deep-socket). The reasoning is I wanted to start with a tool that would fit under your 3/4-wrap and full-wrap bars.

I hope this answers your question. If not, please let me know, Thanks!

How about fitting the newer smaller spark plugs? Like the ngk cmr6h?
If the nut on that sparkplug is 13mm, you have a chance. The limiting factor is often access to the spark plug; often a deep socket is required because of housings that surround the spark plug. What saw are you running?
I have "NGK CMR6H" written on a post-it note, and will check the next time I'm at the hardware store.
Thanks for the interest!

Dang that was fast for first class from Cali.
:o

I oiled the oiling points first off.

Does clear the bar nuts on stihl front etc

But no on a 361 plug with cover on.

Had to get the long stihl scrench for reaching plug 361 with cover on.

For my uses I will be glad to have it on the bench just for removing and putting on them dang bar nuts. Another tool to use for me to make my work easier. :cheers:

rsz.jpgrszz.jpgrszzz.jpg

RatchetScrench recall on past orders:
We have been made aware of a problem with the switch on about 25% of tools that went out last week that causes the ratchet to slip, rendering it unusable. This only affects a small number of past orders. New orders will all be stress-tested, as will your replacement if you have a defective tool. Please contact [email protected] for a replacement if your tool is slipping. Sorry about the growing pains...

RatchetScrench recall on past orders:
We have been made aware of a problem with the switch on about 25% of tools that went out last week that causes the ratchet to slip, rendering it unusable. This only affects a small number of past orders. New orders will all be stress-tested, as will your replacement if you have a defective tool. Please contact [email protected] for a replacement if your tool is slipping. Sorry about the growing pains...
Is there a way we can test our RatchetScrench to be sure?

Thanks.

Philbert

Is there a way we can test our RatchetScrench to be sure?

Thanks.

Philbert
Hi, Philbert,
You may simply give a good tighten/loosen, tighten/loosen to your bar nuts a couple times. I'm finding that if they're going to slip, a decent torque on some bar nuts will reveal any issues right away. I don't think there were that many with the issue, but please contact me at [email protected] if you're having the issue and we'll get you a stress-tested replacement right away.
Thanks for asking!

Why not weld a star bit on it, on the opposite side as the screwdriver. For the stihl people? Just thinking...

Why not weld a star bit on it, on the opposite side as the screwdriver. For the stihl people? Just thinking...
Thanks for the question, Natster,
We considered the star bit, but that would only serve the Stihl owners, as far as I know...and if you're working on star bits you're probably doing something to your saw in your shop. "The greatest good to the greatest number of people," right? So, if you're in the field we wanted Stihl and Husky owners to be able to adjust their chain tension, and, best of all, use the flathead screwdriver tip in your bar chain groove to clean the gunk out! That's why we went with the flathead tip. Thanks, again! Keep 'em coming!

Adding a star bit to it would remove the "universal appeal" to both husky users, and stihl users. But, that won't bother a stihl user.... Just sayin!
But, it would be more useful. To a stihl user.

Great questions, CR888. Thanks!

While making my video, I would film with the saws that I used every day at work, which happened to be Husqvarnas.
You're right: I should have included footage of use with Stihl, as well. (That's not to say the research wasn't done while including Stihl; numerous trips were made to saw shops where I would get weird looks as I checked prototypes on their saws).

The RatchetScrench does work with most Stihl chainsaws since most Stihls use a 19mm bar nut. (If the nuts aren't 13mm or 19mm, it won't work).
Here's the RatchetScrench fitting on an old Stihl 034 AV Super (19mm nuts):
View attachment 837254View attachment 837255
As far as the clearance on that front nut, I know exactly what you are referring to, and that is why I had the thickness of the socket made 3mm thick:
View attachment 837258
The strategy during design was to stay as close as possible to the dimensions of a traditional low-profile scrench (not deep-socket). The reasoning is I wanted to start with a tool that would fit under your 3/4-wrap and full-wrap bars.

I hope this answers your question. If not, please let me know, Thanks!
Thanks for reply, it's that front bar nut that can be very difficult to fit a socket in (on Stihl saws) but your pics demonstrate it can! I was going to fit a 3/4" socket to a 1/4" ratchet that had the guts changed out so it had a 3/8 anvil in the body of a 1/4" ratchet. You won't find a 19mm or 3/4" socket in 1/4" drive size without using adapter's. But the problem I ran into is the chrome sockets struggled to fit in the recessed area on Stihl clutch covers.IMG_20200621_141209_5.jpg

The RatchetScrench!
Reviews, comments and suggestions related to the RatchetScrench can continue, here!

The RatchetScrench is the original ratcheting chainsaw-maintenance tool!
Proudly invented, designed and founded by US Forest Service Hotshot firefighters, the RatchetScrench finally brings ratcheting technology to the scrench!
The RatchetScrench makes the toughest jobs just a bit easier.

Information/Purchase here.

Looking forward to everyones' thoughts!
-Nick, Owner/Founder
View attachment 836932

"Proudly made by good people in China"

You lost me at that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back