Rate your Chinese chain saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking good to me. I bet if anything it would be the normal slight issues. Chain tensioner, carb throttle plate. The seventh mount looks slightly chinsyer than the oem I have, but it's hard to tell from the photo it just could be a more polished steel than the darker colored that's on OEM. But overall I'm going to say for one of the best saws they made it's great to be able to get one and have it for firewood. I cant imagine a hobby guy not getting his money's worth out of that.

Looking good to me. I bet if anything it would be the normal slight issues. Chain tensioner, carb throttle plate. The seventh mount looks slightly chinsyer than the oem I have, but it's hard to tell from the photo it just could be a more polished steel than the darker colored that's on OEM. But overall I'm going to say for one of the best saws they made it's great to be able to get one and have it for firewood. I cant imagine a hobby guy not getting his money's worth out of that.

Honestly I expected some of the issues I had with 372s and the very reliable G660 , but nothing of note.
I have some spare parts on hand figuring something would be off ,carburetor, tensioner, or on/off switch.
Carburetor malfunction was always an issue before whether it was incorrectly assembled or had garbage in it, stripped screws from my G372.
Of course time will tell and I have too many saws for it to be pushed too hard. I have worked my other knock offs on particularly hard days and jobs and even use it in chainsaw class for the students to use. Basically if monetary gain was my goal I would have more than quadrupled my cost of them .

Honestly I expected some of the issues I had with 372s and the very reliable G660 , but nothing of note.
I have some spare parts on hand figuring something would be off ,carburetor, tensioner, or on/off switch.
Carburetor malfunction was always an issue before whether it was incorrectly assembled or had garbage in it, stripped screws from my G372.
Of course time will tell and I have too many saws for it to be pushed too hard. I have worked my other knock offs on particularly hard days and jobs and even use it in chainsaw class for the students to use. Basically if monetary gain was my goal I would have more than quadrupled my cost of them .
They are not doing a bad job of putting most together. Allot of what I've come accross is bad quality rubber. I replaced the boot on my 038 with OEM and it's been good ever since. I think for the most part they are good it's the little details if they fix those it will be on par. For the premise of what they are for if you heat with wood and are on a budget you can get one of these or the G660 and do allot of work on big wood for a reasonable cost. I like you have way to many saws to ever run one to death. I usually have a seasonal lineup that I use and select another set for the following year.

I heard a lot of Crap about the Chinknesium, so I order a G444 to test it out. I bought just the power head, broke it in, retuned and went to town.

I ran that thing for a bit, pulling a 25" B&C and had zero issues, Nothing broke.

Stock has comparable power to the 440 and did great on fuel.

However, as far as longevity goes, it felt like a cheap piece of Crap and I sold the Powerhead for a $100 more than I bought it for.

That pretty much sums it up.

Mad3400

Bought a Husky 450 Rancher to do a little milling on our Colorado property at 9500ft elevation. Thing wouldn’t run out of the box. Took quite a bit of tweaking and it’s totally under powered at that elevation. Milling softwoods. Meh on the 450. Nice bucking saw though. But honestly not much better than the makita 36v I bought for the wife. That thing rocks as long as you have batteries charged up. Anyhow …

Amex gave me a $200 Amzn gift card to sign up with them. Picked up a Neo Tec 372xp clone for real cheap after the gift card. Came with a damaged crankcase. Little lip of metal at the front bottom of the crankcase. Turned out to be superficial and JB weld turned out to be a perfect color match.

Neotec sent me a complete new crankcase with piston. Good spare i suppose. Again at 9500ft had trouble tuning. Broke the recoil in the process (used decomp every time I pulled it). Bought an oem recoil and was back up and running. But it still wasn’t running well. Wouldn’t hold an idle and had no power in wood. Ugghh. Brought the saw to AZ for the winter. Replaced the carb with another China (wish I could type “China” the way Trump said China. It always made me laugh). Anyhow new carb and the thing purrs at 800ft elevation. Pulls through wood nicely. Sure it will get better after broken in. Will see how it does at elevation in spring.

Aside from the damage to the crank, the recoil failure and the carb issue the saw seems like it will kick my 450 ranchers butt .. easily.

Wish I picked up a real Walbro carb. The new carb is ok but it’s nowhere near perfect. It is a bummer to get a new saw and it doesn’t work out of the box. But I experienced that with the husky. It was temperamental as well. But the neotec like the other China saws is not built as well. Yah those plastics. But that said, for what I have into this saw it’s pretty cool. Can’t wait to mill some logs. I’ve got about 20 or so 20” x 10ft logs waiting for me.

If I get bored and I won’t but a 660 might be nice to have. I’d love to see a solid comparison between Chinese brands. Is my neotec better quality than the holtzforma? Worse?

That’s my story :)

I heard some not so good reviews of a few models ,like the G444. So I avoided them even though I'm more familiar with Stihl design.
The G372XP I ordered was the 4-1 deal and 3 other guys got saws also ,g255,g366 and g660. My saw was the only one that didn't run ,lol . The screw on the fuel pump side of the carburetor was stripped out and it wouldn't hold pressure. I ordered a used 2165 Jonsered carb rebuilt it and it was good to go. That was over 2 years ago and I've done some other modifications to that saw and it runs much stronger than the stock 372xp now.
I have fixed alot of 455,460,and 465s in the last couple of years and I would definitely take a new knock off over one of these saws.

They are not doing a bad job of putting most together. Allot of what I've come accross is bad quality rubber. I replaced the boot on my 038 with OEM and it's been good ever since. I think for the most part they are good it's the little details if they fix those it will be on par. For the premise of what they are for if you heat with wood and are on a budget you can get one of these or the G660 and do allot of work on big wood for a reasonable cost. I like you have way to many saws to ever run one to death. I usually have a seasonal lineup that I use and select another set for the following year.

My " too many saws" is due to my love of the McCulloch saws. I started out with a ProMac700 and an old 10-10 heating a 2 story farm house. The early 10 series saws don't run for years ,they run for generations!
I pick them out of scrap yards and shop bins for next to nothing and do some simple maintenance work on them to get cutting again.

My " too many saws" is due to my love of the McCulloch saws. I started out with a ProMac700 and an old 10-10 heating a 2 story farm house. The early 10 series saws don't run for years ,they run for generations!
I pick them out of scrap yards and shop bins for next to nothing and do some simple maintenance work on them to get cutting again.
Yup that's how I started in my love for saws when I was 13 we had a storm that took down a ton of trees and it was my job to cut them up. I was given a pro mac 10 10 of my grandfathers and I cut it all up. The saw is here it needs a little work but it's in good shape. Needs a starter pawl and a possible carb kit. It's a good saw never failed to put wood on the truck.

Really liking my RedMax G3800, GZ4000 clone. Made by Panier in china for MTD it is a copy of the redmax. The ryobi, black max and craftsman saws are practically the same with the exception of the ryobi and blackmax requiring 50:1 vs the craftsman requiring 40:1
View attachment 1023980
View attachment 1023981
What’s the requiring 50-1 vs 40-1 tune the saw and you can run what you like.

Im not saying get a new stihl, I'm saying get something decent. And stihl is a pain to get part for online. Easier to get parts for a husqy. Heck look through the classified adds here and see what guys have up for grabs. It's pretty obvious your going to keep having issues with the saw you have, it's not that its a just a clone, it's a morphed non standard clone. That's the issue. Right now you don't even clim to have interchangeable parts with an actual saw.
The farmertec clones have parts interchangeability with Stihl/husqvarna and their getting better.

The farmertec clones have parts interchangeability with Stihl/husqvarna and their getting better.
Good for them. We're not talking about straight up clones, or stuff that has readily available parts. We're talking about a morphed pos that, clearly, doesn't work right. All the o. P. E. That's gone through my hands over the years the worst stuff has been kinda clones that are market as a "pro" design. Even if they were decent runners being wanna be copies parts are a pain to find. Get something standard.

@seandonato
just wondering if you have ever owned or run one? Or is your opinion just based on heresay?
Because I have owned and run one since 2018 and I find i to be a good saw that runs very strong. At a cost of $207 for a Husky 265 clone.
It is advertised as being a direct clone of the Husky with 100% interchangeable parts. But since I have not had to replace any of the parts, I could not say for certain.

@seandonato
just wondering if you have ever owned or run one? Or is your opinion just based on heresay?
Because I have owned and run one since 2018 and I find i to be a good saw that runs very strong. At a cost of $207 for a Husky 265 clone.
It is advertised as being a direct clone of the Husky with 100% interchangeable parts. But since I have not had to replace any of the parts, I could not say for certain.

Husqvarna never made a 265 though. :innocent:
For a casual user- these things run a chain around a bar and put some wood on a trailer- but generally they do not do it as well nor for as long as the original models they are copied off.
100% interchangeable if you have a big enough hammer- interchangable fit is less than idea if you try to put some cheaper Chinese parts onto genuine saws.
And, yes- I built one, have owned a few and repair a heck of a lot more.

@seandonato

Some like mine had misaligned oil pumps because the casting mold for the case was messed up , mine had a smaller spark plug hole, and the decomp hole threads that had a tiny straight line cut that caused an air leak. I tossed the cylinder, fixed the oil pump, and replaced the carburetor to make it a semi decent saw that now actually runs good.

Back