Rate your Chinese chain saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if you are aware, Tanaka is Japanese, not Chinese. And they do make very good stuff.
Of course, 50 years ago people dissed all the Japanese products as trash just like they do now with the Chinese saws.
50 years ago I bought a brand new Japanese bike, Yamaha 125. Everyone said it was rubbish but of course they all had british bikes. The funny thing was theirs was always leaking oil and breaking down, mine never leaked and never broke down. And was faster than a british 500cc. Not that I dont like british engines I have an old 1940 lister D that runs like a big swiss watch but the Japanese made some good bikes, just look at any race (road, track or dirt) they lead the field. And they were making knives before we had saucepans:) China is giving us what we want, if people didnt buy crap they would up their game but until then they will keep selling us crap. Humans are slow to learn, animals have more sence .

50 years ago I bought a brand new Japanese bike, Yamaha 125. Everyone said it was rubbish but of course they all had british bikes. The funny thing was theirs was always leaking oil and breaking down, mine never leaked and never broke down. And was faster than a british 500cc. Not that I dont like british engines I have an old 1940 lister D that runs like a big swiss watch but the Japanese made some good bikes, just look at any race (road, track or dirt) they lead the field. And they were making knives before we had saucepans:) China is giving us what we want, if people didnt buy crap they would up their game but until then they will keep selling us crap. Humans are slow to learn, animals have more sence .
I bought a 288 put a 32” Tsumura bar on it and went to work with it. After break in it got much better but still lacked what my real 288 does. Pulled the cylinder and found extremely sloppy porting, which is what I expected. Installed a tweaked hiway cylinder and a Lil Red Barn domed piston. That really fixed it! Still have just $400 in it we’ll see how long it lasts. This isn’t my every day saw yet but will be soon the Husky finially needs rebuilt after 20 + hard years

Thanks to people looking at nothing but price and idiot corporations that’s care about nothing but the next quarters profits so are willing to give away the store for a short term boost in bottom line. Also, “everything” isn’t made in China. There is still a lot of quality products made outside of China and if of good VALUE. Add to that the hypocrisy of saddling US/ EU/ Commonwealth countries with endless environmental and labor laws (which in many cases I can agree with) but turn around and send your money to companies that are under no such restrictions.
I was contemplating getting a rip-off saw for using in a cs mill but after contemplating this thread I’ll look for a used saw in need of repair instead.
Exactly wallet buyers and nothing but wanna-be window lickers for the real stuff.

Decades ago we ran husky saws in the woods and husky Swede dirt bikes in the woods too.

I just purchased a tenix four stroke chain saw. I’m sure it’s not on the leading edge of four stroke technology. But they got there foot in the door. Could this be the wave of the future? Running a heavy four stroke saw time will tell. I paid $67 for a new tenix four stroke saw. So I can laugh at myself or not time will tell.

I just purchased a tenix four stroke chain saw. I’m sure it’s not on the leading edge of four stroke technology. But they got there foot in the door. Could this be the wave of the future? Running a heavy four stroke saw time will tell. I paid $67 for a new tenix four stroke saw. So I can laugh at myself or not time will tell.
Seen those at TSC i imagine for the average homeowner not having to mix any fuel would be appealing to them. But stock the spark plug ( torch ) and the chain needs to replaced as it uses a skip chain.

Stock skip chain?Rocker arms look a little sloppy.If someone could design a high quality replaceable low cost and durable valve train might be on to something.Looks like lash is adjustable?

Decades ago we ran husky saws in the woods and husky Swede dirt bikes in the woods too.
Japanese were playing games with the exchange rates back when I assume.Even relatively poor kids parents could afford a Japanese woods bike or mini-enduro.I remember dreaming of my dad affording a Husqvarna 125 or an unobtanium Monark 125, or even a Penton.

I have 3 chinese saws.
25cc top handle, I bought this before you could get the joncutter one, its the same saw but not quite as good. I had to fix the fuel and oiler lines and replace the junk chain, since then its ran great.
61cc timberpro, it works fine as is and only needs a good chain, the kill switch broke after two years I had no other issues.
58cc joncutter, same deal as the timberpro, it works fine as is, it didnt come with a bar/chain so it got good ones from the start.
I modded the 58 and 61cc saws with 372 carbs, home made intakes and porting, they out cut 50cc pro saws now and still start super easy and never stall.
Since I dont run saws to make a living these are all I need and have also been reliable, they always start and cut when I need them to.

I have 3 chinese saws.
25cc top handle, I bought this before you could get the joncutter one, its the same saw but not quite as good. I had to fix the fuel and oiler lines and replace the junk chain, since then its ran great.
61cc timberpro, it works fine as is and only needs a good chain, the kill switch broke after two years I had no other issues.
58cc joncutter, same deal as the timberpro, it works fine as is, it didnt come with a bar/chain so it got good ones from the start.
I modded the 58 and 61cc saws with 372 carbs, home made intakes and porting, they out cut 50cc pro saws now and still start super easy and never stall.
Since I dont run saws to make a living these are all I need and have also been reliable, they always start and cut when I need them to.
I ran 2 tanks of fuel in the 288. I got better and better now to throw it in the fray and see if my guys can break it!!

I know what your saying, some of my friends who cut a ton of firewood would break my chinese saws eventually. They dont clean filters let alone the dirt off the saw and just beat the crap out of stuff, they only get a few years out of a pro saw.
I only recommend chinese saws as replacements for small cheap saws from the hardware stores.
The under 200 dollar 52cc chinese saws will start easier and cut a ton better than the 35-40cc named brand saws that cost that much.

OK, I have not read the rest of this thread, I want to ask a question/comment, whats your opinion?
anyone heard of SUNPATTKAWA Tools? They are supposedly in Thailand, offering all kinds of name brand stuff, at cheap prices. such as "genuine Stihl" ms-391 for $254.06 (L189.89 pounds} free shipping, ms-661 c-m 25 for $541.49 (L404.70 pounds). Also the trust web sites rate this company high, no problems, no fraud. Just wondering if anyone ever used this site, I ordered something from them (under $100) and used PayPal so i'm not to worried, just waiting and wondering.

yikes, I checked out the site.Too good to be true??? I'm also wondering if anyone has purchased from them.

OK, I have not read the rest of this thread, I want to ask a question/comment, whats your opinion?
anyone heard of SUNPATTKAWA Tools? They are supposedly in Thailand, offering all kinds of name brand stuff, at cheap prices. such as "genuine Stihl" ms-391 for $254.06 (L189.89 pounds} free shipping, ms-661 c-m 25 for $541.49 (L404.70 pounds). Also the trust web sites rate this company high, no problems, no fraud. Just wondering if anyone ever used this site, I ordered something from them (under $100) and used PayPal so i'm not to worried, just waiting and wondering.

yikes, I checked out the site.Too good to be true??? I'm also wondering if anyone has purchased from them.
Well what I ordered is a Granberg Chainsaw Mill ($84.), I think $284. from Granberg and about $230. from Amazon if I remember right. I ordered it on 2/14, my order is still listed as "awaiting confirmation" on the website. When I ordered it, the website said something about 23 to 25 days, can't remember if this was the time of arrival or the time before it would ship, and I do not know where it is shipping from. But like I said this is a test for me to see if this website is legit. Will let you know how it all turns out. Thanks Guys, I love this forum!

Well what I ordered is a Granberg Chainsaw Mill ($84.), I think $284. from Granberg and about $230. from Amazon if I remember right. I ordered it on 2/14, my order is still listed as "awaiting confirmation" on the website. When I ordered it, the website said something about 23 to 25 days, can't remember if this was the time of arrival or the time before it would ship, and I do not know where it is shipping from. But like I said this is a test for me to see if this website is legit. Will let you know how it all turns out. Thanks Guys, I love this forum!
Make sure you file a claim with Paypal before your time is up. (if needed)

Latest posts

Back