Rate your Chinese chain saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are good beater or loaner saws. Low quality plastics - low quality everything really. But easy to take apart and parts are easily available. And if you damage, lose or get one stolen it's no big deal.

I've bought four over the last year. 52cc, 58cc and, allegedly, 62cc. Three were used ones in good condition for less than £20 / $28 each and one was brand new, missing oil and fuel caps, for £27 / $38.

It does pain me to support Chinese industry though.

I have few made in China chainsaws all Makita branded 3 battery electric and one 3601frdb. I think there are plenty of reviews of these things without typing out new stuff. I seem able to get parts point and click.

Bill you have on multiple occasions put threads to made in China chainsaws with pictures and places to purchase. How many have you actually bought? Same question for the rolls of chain.

Hell, most of their parts are bad enough, why would I buy one made of them? They have the technology but if they keep selling low quality why bother using it. Guess my answer is no wouldn't buy one or support the people who make them.... Old School thinking.

I have been watching these saws for the last few years on Ebay and have often wondered about them.A 62 cc saw for $129 is tempting.Just out of curiosity though,how much better is a Holzforma clone saw versus a $129 Coocheer or some similiar off brand .I doubt I ever buy either,because that $129 would buy me enough fuel mix and a couple chains to run my good saws for a year.

I have few made in China chainsaws all Makita branded 3 battery electric and one 3601frdb. I think there are plenty of reviews of these things without typing out new stuff. I seem able to get parts point and click.

Bill you have on multiple occasions put threads to made in China chainsaws with pictures and places to purchase. How many have you actually bought? Same question for the rolls of chain.
Franny/ Guys, I’d like to invest into one more saw, I’m on the fence which one to get wether it’s chinese or older Swedish/American made. I’m looking for ideas.

Have two chinesium saws, a 440 knockoff and a 200t. The 440 quickly became the main felling/bucking saw and the 200t is the new main tool for pruning the orchard.

Bought them as kits and had a lot of fun putting them together. Wouldn't recommend buying them in kit form if you're not familiar with small engines though since there's no manual or instructions, so the box of screws and parts can be a little daunting to sort out if you don't know what you're doing.

Anyhoo - both saws work great and tbh can't tell them apart from the Stihl counterparts.

I have a largely Chinese clone of a 660 with a lot of the important parts (crank, piston, rings, brake parts, clutch, etc.) replaced by the builder with OEM (or equivalent non-Chinese) parts. Runs like a raped ape. For as little as I use a 660, it works great for me, knock wood, for about 1/3 of the price of OEM.

I bought a kit to assemble a 361 clone (also have an original Stihl 361), but haven't gotten around to putting it together yet.

John cutter top handle has been flawless. Probably 20 tanks through it. I'm quite impressed, even though it tried to kill me.
Does that saw have a chain brake, or just the "handguard" thingie?

Franny/ Guys, I’d like to invest into one more saw, I’m on the fence which one to get wether it’s chinese or older Swedish/American made. I’m looking for ideas.
In my opinion, you can’t go wrong with an old yellow saw. I’m kinda fond of the Mac 10 series saws from 54cc up to 70cc. Lots of parts, power, and solid construction.

I have a largely Chinese clone of a 660 with a lot of the important parts (crank, piston, rings, brake parts, clutch, etc.) replaced by the builder with OEM (or equivalent non-Chinese) parts. Runs like a raped ape. For as little as I use a 660, it works great for me, knock wood, for about 1/3 of the price of OEM.

I bought a kit to assemble a 361 clone (also have an original Stihl 361), but haven't gotten around to putting it together yet.

Does that saw have a chain brake, or just the "handguard" thingie?
Chain brake

Back