Rate your Chinese chain saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’d like to try different brands of saws. With Husqvarna and Stihl we use we’re like the Maytag man most never break down. Sometimes it’s fun to tinker with them. Don’t get me wrong if I can find a running husky I grab that first if it’s close to the same cost used husky vs new farmertec.

John cutter top handle has been flawless. Probably 20 tanks through it. I'm quite impressed, even though it tried to kill me.
View attachment 930166View attachment 930170
How did it come to cut the back of your hand?....were you holding timber and cutting it at same time?
Franny/ Guys, I’d like to invest into one more saw, I’m on the fence which one to get wether it’s chinese or older Swedish/American made. I’m looking for ideas.
I think it's sad to see even Japanse organisations giving-over their manufacturing to China....organisations do it to stay competitive in markets where US/UK/European/Australian people are offered various'cheap' Chinese stuff by major retailers and smaller ones following their lead instead of demanding local manufacture...no matter what the price. On the other aspect...I bought my Jonsareds 49SP...beautifully made...when it was new...that's let me think...30 years ago. It's still running well. My older Solo, Echo and McCullochs are all good saws...I wouldn't buy or sell anything which doesn't have a well-working chain brake...like one of my Mc Cullochs and my Atom unless only for use, as mine, with an auger. Readily-claimable warranty is important if you are looking at the economics of purchase.

Chainsaws can be addictive . I'd accumulated about 20 good chainsaws... am now 'divesting'. I have little problems with saws as I don't flog them and I keep them clean, tuned, the chains sharp and use correct oils. I recently sold off my two 066 magnums...I'm not so terribly impressed by Stihl though I'm keeping for a little longer an 038 which I bought needing a couple of small repairs. I recently sold 5 (twin cylinder) EVL's ....to blokes who were enthusiasts.

There seems to be a propaganda-proselytiser 'macho' type in USA, no 'OHS' ethics or morals, which scorn chainbrakes and in doing so mislead the inexperienced on safety.... I see others offering videos in which they are working over their heads with saws. Reality is not paranoia....saws are intrinsically extremely dangerous, especially when familiarity increases, not decreases risk. On an outback Queensland station I visited some forty years ago or so (I don't think chain brakes were around then) one of the workers had 'no chain-brake' kickback which sawed him from cranium to nose. No he didn't live.

With globalization the way it is, I would be surprised if there was any chainsaw made today that didn't contain some Chinese components, even if it was just hardware or fasteners. Even a top of the line saw, I would bet once you dug deep enough into it, you'd find components like electronics, etc, from China.
I try to buy domestic, but sometimes it feels like a lost cause. The closest I have to a Chinese saw is an old Made in Taiwan McCulloch that must have been at the end of McCulloch's time in business. It needs fixing and parts but would probably run.
Hi...Taiwan is near china but never been 'Chinese' in the sense of 'part of China' ....though Xi would have the world believe otherwise...or be 'nuked'...which he has already threatened to Japan and Australia. Taiwan is an 'epicentre' of solid state design and your 'made in Taiwan' saw may be not too bad a thing. I don't think I'm hypocritial in my next comments when as a young apprentice I bought German tools...Gedor...great tools.. and when Australian made, bought dominantly 'Dufor' over 'Sidchrome'. Sidchrome were not reliable enough for me... I also preferred the duller 'Dufor' finish, similar to Gedor, to the shiny Sidchrome...Today Australia is flooded with medium to low quality Spanish and Chinese tools...and has lost local manufacturing industry. That should not be dismissed lightly, the 'globalisation' concept exists only for one reason...the wish and design of the "New World Order"...which is using 'disimagination' herding us into freedom-fantasising serfdom far more inhuman and inescapable than anything yet seen on earth. Denial of services is the whip...as China is using now, on Australians, preaching 'behave or else' sermons whilst taking over the Pacific.

I think with a choice one should 'buy-local' when quality is really good but I don't think one should feel 'guilty' buying a Chinese saw, if pressed for money. Being a professonal I will do almost anything to NOT buy Chinese drilling machines and the like...which are hastily made 'throw-aways' rather than 'repairers'. Supply deficiency has become very apparent during the 'Covid' period slow-down in delivery from China, USA, Uk and Europe.I think that should make one think about whether or not their country has lost valuable self-sustenance to the point of endangerment. Confrontingly, Giroux discusses the planned, internalised destruction of USA in "The Violence of Organised Forgetting "...It's worth reading

This is getting a little political?
So I restore old cars ,tools ,chainsaws, and some guns .
Guns would be the most significant because in America (which is the greatest country in the world) we still reserve the right to go to Wal-Mart and purchase a side arm and long range rifle to protect our freedom.
Some other citizens of other countries backed themselves into a corner by giving the rights away (including the right to do stupid sh¡t) , most of the great peoples of America will buy the trinkets of the communists to play with, but just Mess with the bull and you'll get the horns thats a fact!
We change presidents like dirty underwear , if you country sucks thats nobody's fault but yours ,not the Chinese. Maybe you should fight to get a good old American constitution instead of ********.
We don't have much respect for people who blame everybody else for their problems in America.

Of course...the rest of the world 'just doesn't understand' does it.... Best of luck with that one;....now as for chainsaws...are there any entirely made in USA or it's neighbour Canada?

Hi...Taiwan is near china but never been 'Chinese' in the sense of 'part of China'
I just did Wikipedia and of the indigenous people to that island they now account for 2.38% of the population.

"In 1662, Koxinga, a loyalist of the Ming dynasty who had lost control of mainland China in 1644, defeated the Dutch and established a base of operations on the island. His forces were defeated by the Qing dynasty in 1683, and parts of Taiwan became increasingly integrated into the Qing empire. Following the First Sino-Japanese War in 1895, the Qing ceded the island, along with Penghu, to the Empire of Japan. Taiwan produced rice and sugar to be exported to the Empire of Japan, and also served as a base for the Japanese invasion of Southeast Asia and the Pacific during World War II. Japanese imperial education was implemented in Taiwan and many Taiwanese also fought for Japan during the war.

In 1945, following the end of World War II, the nationalist government of the Republic of China (ROC), led by the Kuomintang (KMT), took control of Taiwan. In 1949, after losing control of mainland China in the Chinese Civil War, the ROC government under the KMT withdrew to Taiwan and Chiang Kai-shek declared martial law. The KMT ruled Taiwan (along with the Islands of Kinmen, Wuqiu and the Matsu on the opposite side of the Taiwan Strait) as a single-party state for forty years, until democratic reforms in the 1980s, which led to the first-ever direct presidential election in 1996. During the post-war period, Taiwan experienced rapid industrialization and economic growth known as the "Taiwan Miracle", and was known as one of the "Four Asian Tigers"."

So User name Pythagorus, What Chinese made stuff do you have in the chainsaw department. I have some Makita Stuff made in China, not sure where and the bars on my top handle Husqvarna saws that come in boxes saying made in Sweden have made in China on the envelope the bar is in. It helps to know if one is discussing manufacturing location, or just clones as they are called.

I am just guessing looking at the dates above Here in the United States this is the era when the king of England would give to governors or individuals of the various states in the colonies blocks of land that we have been using as the start of land title. How did it work in Australia?

Guns would be the most significant because in America (which is the greatest country in the world) we still reserve the right to go to Wal-Mart and purchase a side arm and long range rifle to protect our freedom.
Some other citizens of other countries backed themselves into a corner by giving the rights away (including the right to do stupid sh¡t) , most of the great peoples of America will buy the trinkets of the communists to play with, but just Mess with the bull and you'll get the horns thats a fact!
We change presidents like dirty underwear , if you country sucks thats nobody's fault but yours ,not the Chinese. Maybe you should fight to get a good old American constitution instead of ********.
We don't have much respect for people who blame everybody else for their problems in America.
last time i went to Walmart they had no ammo.... at least that i wanted to buy ..and **** china......

Clone 372xp's are right on par with the quality control out of the Vikings, and much better than the ones you find at Lowe's. The ability to modify the new/clean saw is a real attraction and makes them very appealing. I highly doubt that I would take the top end off my OEMs saws to tinker with.
I rate them very high for the mechanical type of person.
As always its best to rummage through your local scrapyards first and possibly find an original to bring back to life first.
Yeah. My 372 clone has somewhat had the crap run out of it.Has earned an OEM husky or Hyway top end.Fun to assemble with clean parts.

Yeah. My 372 clone has somewhat had the crap run out of it.Has earned an OEM husky or Hyway top end.Fun to assemble with clean parts.
Looking at maybe fitting a Hyway top end to my 372, if I can find one cheap enough. I cant justify a new OEM top end for it for the little work I do with it.

New Zealander's were lining up to sell their g uns to the govt (which was funny because it was taxpayers money the govt was using).

Pure and great enough to go out of my way and spend more money to assure anything even remotely possible I purchase is not made in china, can you say that yank?
How pure are you china lover, what steps and effort do you or anyone else reading this take to not buy china crap?
I have done without because I will not buy Chinese products. If I am looking for something and I see from china, it goes right back on the shelf.

My first and only Chinese manufactured saw is a Farmertec copy of the MS200t.
I owned an 020t for years but sold it recently when someone made me an offer that I couldn't refuse...and that I hadn't really used the saw in several years.
It figures that a month after I sold it, situation changed and I need the saw again so I bought a Farmertec G111 on advice from a buddy who has been using one a couple years in business duty and said it wasn't too bad.
I put my spare 12" Stihl bar and chain on the Farmertec and it has run without incident thru 20 tanks of fuel. Idle has to be higher than the 020 to be stable but chain is stopped so it's all good.
My 020t was low use condition and ran like the 35cc saw that it is, lots of power in a small saw. This 200t copy cuts about as well as my 020 did, so far as I've been able to determine.
Only time will tell about reliability.

I really like my Farmertec top handle-G2500 with 12in bar, Stihl yellow chain..... Liked so much bought a 2nd one. The settings were pretty much spot on, and muff was fine also... First tank, 30:1, and now 10 tanks later running 40:1 Echo FD rated oil... Starts on 1st or 2nd pull (cold) and hot starts right up. Conscious here is they copied the older Zenoah Jap blueprints/reverse engineered pretty well, and that the Japanese zehoah was just that good. I've some issues with a stihl 381 copy, took several adj to get running properly, even after replacing carb with 038 mag one. Just can't get the idle spot on. But does crank, and run fine though.

Thats the saw I just bought. I think its one manufacturer, multiple rebrands. Search 25cc chainsaw. I posted in another China thread, I live in eastern Europe and the only saws available are 2 or maybe 3 China models, all different names and colors. I do have an Echo and Craftsman but it takes 3 weeks to get parts from the US.
The 25cc saw has been great except the oil line was clogged (still trying to figure that out) and I had to tweak the chain guides for a tighter fit. Super light, runs good.

I'm Not a fan of the Chinese, but not gonna talk about politics and trade here. Gonna talk about saws. I've run Stihl saws for over 50 years and am a big fan of them over Huskys. Being retired now I have time to repair and rebuild saws and am getting much better at it. I've done lots of "Homeowner" saws of the clamshell design, but never a "Pro" saw with a vertically split case. I ordered one of those China junk saw kits (660 clone) with no expectations just to learn how to put one together and work on them. Spent all of $171 dollars on it plus shipping. They claim it's the third generation of that model, LOL. Well guess what, I was stunned. The materials, fit and finish were very good, the saw runs very strong and has been reliable so far. I've only run a dozen tanks of fuel through it but have actually been impressed so far. This saw runs as well as my buddies Stihl 660, and will actually out pull it while ripping. He thinks its junk because a screw vibrated loose on it! I believe he might be a bit embarrassed. Using it to learn on has been worth the money. I still don't care for China and what they do to us and the test of the planet, but my mind keeps going going back to when the JAPANESE made crap, and there was no way you wanted their junk, until the paradigm shift and their junk became better made than our AMERICAN products ( what brand vehicle do you drive now?) Summing it up, I don't like the Chinese, but I like this saw. The end.

The 25cc saw has been great except the oil line was clogged (still trying to figure that out) and I had to tweak the chain guides for a tighter fit. Super light, runs good.

Don't know why your oil line was clogged but if you substitute 3:1 mixture of diesel (or kerosene) to bar oil it just might unclog itself.

Back