Rate your Chinese chain saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the big manufactures had not moved their plants to china (and given away patents to the CCP), there would not be chinese clones of the most popular huskys and sthils. It is a dirty shame that it has come to this. With the clone market, Husky and Sthil will be out of business in the next few years and then we will be at the mercy of china. When they decide to conform with the UN, and stop making gas saws (and parts), we will all be using cross cut saws to fire our wood stoves. I cringe every time I see "made in china" on stuff I buy, I know where its going and its not a good place. Unfortunately, Options are limited. Just look under the hood of any late model car and you will often see that the motor is mostly made in china just as one example. It Sucks!

I am running a Holzfforma G366 (Stihl MS361 clone) and I am very happy with it, running a 24" bar and full chisel chain. Definitely a bit heavier than the Stihl but still reasonable for a 60cc saw. I run AV-gas 100 octane at 50:1 and the saw runs very strong. My opinion on China vs German/US/Sweden is really that the mfg'ers are as much to blame as the globalists who moved mfg'ing to China. The manufacturers already have their own parts made in China and charge a large premium for "real OEM" parts and push their newer models vs maintenance of perfectly good older saws. I would love to buy a Stihl in excellent condition but never see any of the pro saws change hands that haven't been put through the mill, so to speak.

The 25cc saw has been great except the oil line was clogged (still trying to figure that out) and I had to tweak the chain guides for a tighter fit. Super light, runs good.

Don't know why your oil line was clogged but if you substitute 3:1 mixture of diesel (or kerosene) to bar oil it just might unclog itself.

Thanks, I wound up disassembling the whole pump system, blew out a clog between the tank and pump. Have no idea how it got clogged, brand new saw.

I'm Not a fan of the Chinese, but not gonna talk about politics and trade here. Gonna talk about saws. I've run Stihl saws for over 50 years and am a big fan of them over Huskys. Being retired now I have time to repair and rebuild saws and am getting much better at it. I've done lots of "Homeowner" saws of the clamshell design, but never a "Pro" saw with a vertically split case. I ordered one of those China junk saw kits (660 clone) with no expectations just to learn how to put one together and work on them. Spent all of $171 dollars on it plus shipping. They claim it's the third generation of that model, LOL. Well guess what, I was stunned. The materials, fit and finish were very good, the saw runs very strong and has been reliable so far. I've only run a dozen tanks of fuel through it but have actually been impressed so far. This saw runs as well as my buddies Stihl 660, and will actually out pull it while ripping. He thinks its junk because a screw vibrated loose on it! I believe he might be a bit embarrassed. Using it to learn on has been worth the money. I still don't care for China and what they do to us and the test of the planet, but my mind keeps going going back to when the JAPANESE made crap, and there was no way you wanted their junk, until the paradigm shift and their junk became better made than our AMERICAN products ( what brand vehicle do you drive now?) Summing it up, I don't like the Chinese, but I like this saw. The end.
How much was the shipping?

So in the spirit of this thread, I was looking for a 60cc range saw. Cheap. Tired of buying name brand and sinking a bunch of money into it, done enough those projects, got enough on the shelf. Wanted a "turn key" cheap saw. Found this little saw. DeReal, 62cc. First thing, took cylinder off (carb, intake, exhaust) flywheel and clutch just to make me feel better that it was assembled correct. Broke a finger off the clutch as there was Loc Tite on it and didn't know (ordered a new one for dirt cheap, already on). Flywheel nut same! Now the keyway in the flywheel, not exactly machined tight, or maybe that's how they adjust the timing?! I just put on the advance side of key way Lol! I'll get my light out and check at some point, not really sure stopper, and it runs good. Checked seals, lines, everything over. Removed base gasket, installed, checked that all ports lined up, put cylinder and intake on. Muffler mod was just remove the baffle. Fuel and third pull it fired! Got 3 tanks ran thru so far. That's roughly 3 Rick's, face cord, WTF you prefer to call if, I call it 3 loads heat on my wagon behind the tratter! Lol! I did take the .325" chain and bar off (after it desperately found a rock, oops). Put 7 tooth rim sprocket for 3/8", used the spare 16" bar for my Jonny 2150, 3/8 chisel, cuts pretty well for a cheap saw. And delivered to my door, $115 flea Bay surprise. Biggest problem so far, cracked recoil housing, limb about 30' up, 2" diameter came down, why you have your head on a swivel when felling!! I seen happen above, just ran, saws cheap, injuries aren't. Packaged very well, 2 boxes that hold the saw from their factory, and an Amazon box, even though I bought from flea Bay..... Lol

Attachments

• KIMG2270.JPG
    KIMG2270.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 26
  • KIMG2271.JPG
    KIMG2271.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 25
  • KIMG2268.JPG
    KIMG2268.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 24
  • KIMG2319.JPG
    KIMG2319.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 22
Thanks for your review.
Love the tag line on your avatar. too!
Just got my Holzfforma G288 unpacked only took 2 weeks 6days to get here. Not to bad birthday gift to me!! Only problem was a bent bucking spike tang which a straightened with vise grips. I put a 1/2 tank of 40-1 fuel in it and it ran 4th pull!! Re-tuned carb a bit and installed a 32” Tsamura bar and 3/8” full chipper chain. I’ll get back to you after I’ve put a couple tanks of gas through it.

lets start a post on Chinese saws?
I got an 066 kit about 3yrs ago. Put it together as a project. It was fun and started right up, would die after about 2-3 mins. Had a problem with throttle assembly. Never put it in wood tho. I'll have to drag it out and check it out again. I'd say it was worth it overall...
But l love my Huskys to do the cutting with!

Thanks on the review! Just wanted to do it and give anyone looking at these saws a good idea what they are getting into. Not at all bragging or saying their the best, just an honest review.
Interested in how the G288 is when you run it. Am interested. Thinking about the G372 65cc Holzfforma as a next purchase to try. I'm liking the 60cc saws lately, got enough 70+cc to do me.

The 25cc saw has been great except the oil line was clogged (still trying to figure that out) and I had to tweak the chain guides for a tighter fit. Super light, runs good.

Don't know why your oil line was clogged but if you substitute 3:1 mixture of diesel (or kerosene) to bar oil it just might unclog itself.
I'll try to remember this fix, thanks.

If you haven't noticed, everything is made in China.
Thanks to people looking at nothing but price and idiot corporations that’s care about nothing but the next quarters profits so are willing to give away the store for a short term boost in bottom line. Also, “everything” isn’t made in China. There is still a lot of quality products made outside of China and if of good VALUE. Add to that the hypocrisy of saddling US/ EU/ Commonwealth countries with endless environmental and labor laws (which in many cases I can agree with) but turn around and send your money to companies that are under no such restrictions.
I was contemplating getting a rip-off saw for using in a cs mill but after contemplating this thread I’ll look for a used saw in need of repair instead.

Back