Rate your Chinese chain saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So in the spirit of this thread, I was looking for a 60cc range saw. Cheap. Tired of buying name brand and sinking a bunch of money into it, done enough those projects, got enough on the shelf. Wanted a "turn key" cheap saw. Found this little saw. DeReal, 62cc. First thing, took cylinder off (carb, intake, exhaust) flywheel and clutch just to make me feel better that it was assembled correct. Broke a finger off the clutch as there was Loc Tite on it and didn't know (ordered a new one for dirt cheap, already on). Flywheel nut same! Now the keyway in the flywheel, not exactly machined tight, or maybe that's how they adjust the timing?! I just put on the advance side of key way Lol! I'll get my light out and check at some point, not really sure stopper, and it runs good. Checked seals, lines, everything over. Removed base gasket, installed, checked that all ports lined up, put cylinder and intake on. Muffler mod was just remove the baffle. Fuel and third pull it fired! Got 3 tanks ran thru so far. That's roughly 3 Rick's, face cord, WTF you prefer to call if, I call it 3 loads heat on my wagon behind the tratter! Lol! I did take the .325" chain and bar off (after it desperately found a rock, oops). Put 7 tooth rim sprocket for 3/8", used the spare 16" bar for my Jonny 2150, 3/8 chisel, cuts pretty well for a cheap saw. And delivered to my door, $115 flea Bay surprise. Biggest problem so far, cracked recoil housing, limb about 30' up, 2" diameter came down, why you have your head on a swivel when felling!! I seen happen above, just ran, saws cheap, injuries aren't. Packaged very well, 2 boxes that hold the saw from their factory, and an Amazon box, even though I bought from flea Bay..... Lol
That is the Dereal deal!

Thanks to people looking at nothing but price and idiot corporations that’s care about nothing but the next quarters profits so are willing to give away the store for a short term boost in bottom line. Also, “everything” isn’t made in China. There is still a lot of quality products made outside of China and if of good VALUE. Add to that the hypocrisy of saddling US/ EU/ Commonwealth countries with endless environmental and labor laws (which in many cases I can agree with) but turn around and send your money to companies that are under no such restrictions.
I was contemplating getting a rip-off saw for using in a cs mill but after contemplating this thread I’ll look for a used saw in need of repair instead.

I would consider doing that if so many people didn't think their clapped out 460 or 660 was worth 400 dollars. It would be Great to see someone try to and start new USA made ope company but I think we know what would happen.

I would consider doing that if so many people didn't think their clapped out 460 or 660 was worth 400 dollars. It would be Great to see someone try to and start new USA made *** company but I think we know what would happen.
Ironically SAW was edited in your post?
I think someone should start a automobile chip factory first! Haha.

Thanks on the review! Just wanted to do it and give anyone looking at these saws a good idea what they are getting into. Not at all bragging or saying their the best, just an honest review.
Interested in how the G288 is when you run it. Am interested. Thinking about the G372 65cc Holzfforma as a next purchase to try. I'm liking the 60cc saws lately, got enough 70+cc to do me.
I got the g372 65cc saw in September, it ran well out of the box and I made the normal adaptations, oem carb,decomp, and o-ring under the pto crank spacer.
It's just as big as the G372XP without the hightop air filter cover though? Might be better off with a MS360 clone.

I wonder if a "Farmertec" sticky is in order... Reasoning & motivation aside it's clear plenty of members are buying them so maybe a thread to address things like each models weak points, typical mods/improvements, common issues & things that should be checked/remedied "out of the box".
If it didn't devolve into monkeys throwing feacies it would probably help a lot of people

I've owned a couple of chinese saws when I couldn't afford anything else. One in the 65cc range and a small 25cc for the garden. The large saw i used to cut firewood up to 24 inch. Ironically the engine was pretty reliable, no screamer but would chug along faithfully. The problem with it was everything around the motor broke. Oil gear, handle, starter, clutch cover, muffler and a few other things. all of this stuff can be sourced cheaply on ebay, but there is the down time. The point could be argued I bought the saw for a hundred bucks and I could buy 10 spares before I reached the price of my 460 Rancher at the time which was $1200 in Australia. The other thing about chinese saws is that the chinese are the only ones manufacturing spares for our old saws. I bought a clutch side cover for my Poulan 2900, thats a saw thats coming up to 30 years old. And if Huskie or stihl did offer parts for older saws the price would be crazy. The saw i bought was sold under the brand Giantz which is rebadged generic chinese saw.

Farmertec prices are climbing as we speak.
I’m think $300 isn’t bad for the g288, the dereal is another one. Rumors has it the farmertec crank and rod bearings go bad in a short time in a real world loggin. Maybe run oil rich fixes that. So a oem used husky crank fixes that.

The market is turning into a Chinese chain saw war, the used stihl, Husqvarna, echo, makita saws running or not are priced as high or higher as new Chinese saws. What does one do?

What’s the best homeowner saw? Weekend cutter?

Farmertec prices are climbing as we speak.
I’m think $300 isn’t bad for the g288, the dereal is another one. Rumors has it the farmertec crank and rod bearings go bad in a short time in a real world loggin. Maybe run oil rich fixes that. So a oem used husky crank fixes that.

The market is turning into a Chinese chain saw war, the used stihl, Husqvarna, echo, makita saws running or not are priced as high or higher as new Chinese saws. What does one do?

What’s the best homeowner saw? Weekend cutter?
The Zenoah clones sold at Lowes are really good saws they are labeled under the Craftsman S145, S160,S185
Removable transfer covers and respond well to mods.

There has been a pretty in depth thread on the 42cc one on here. It is not clear what the scope of this thread is intended to be. Stuff branded Craftsman or Makita and made in China or copies of stuff from an era the major players wonn't sell any longer, likely due at least in part to regulations in some manner.

It is DeReal deal!
I bought a blue G372 last year. I broke it in and put it up against my real G372xp in red oak. Well the knock off wouldn’t come close to the Husky. Bought a highway 52mm kit a lil red barn domed piston and did som porting on it. Now it screams and will actually come out a little ahead of the Husky. I gave it to a logger buddy of mine and told him to run it like he stole it. Been 5 months and it’s still hanging in there. They are getting better

Late as usual but here's $0.02 , I paid good money for honest well built equipment. Stihl ms660 used for a decent price with no issues. 362cm I bought new, then woods ported by MMWS. Echo 355t with my own muff mod and limiter- less tune up. All good ****. I depend on my saws heavily for income and can't have stuff always f***ed up. I stick with what doesn't give me a pain in the wallet and a@! . If you can tinker then by all means but my money is going to the folks who keep me fed.

Late as usual but here's $0.02 , I paid good money for honest well built equipment. Stihl ms660 used for a decent price with no issues. 362cm I bought new, then woods ported by MMWS. Echo 355t with my own muff mod and limiter- less tune up. All good ****. I depend on my saws heavily for income and can't have stuff always f***ed up. I stick with what doesn't give me a pain in the wallet and a@! . If you can tinker then by all means but my money is going to the folks who keep me fed.
I’ll get it back in February with a report card. With the price of the saw and kit it comes out to about $400. I use my Husky’s and Macs for the every day stuff which is normally hard wood . The chi saw is an expensive experiment

This model is quite popular with the clone market. Walmart sells one called a Black Max Home depot sells one under Ryobi and Lowes sells one under Craftsman even amazon carries one under the DEREAL name.
s-l1600.jpgs-l640.jpgdownload (2).jpg71HoULKsOrL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Since this thread continues on, I'm compelled to comment. It is not done to arise contention but hopefully thought about buying Chinese, when there are alternatives to do so.
There is much ado about the Coronavirus and for some rightly so, but we have much more to fear from the CCP than we do of this virus, in terms of freedom and the rise of global communism. There is not much we can do individually to stop the advance of CCP's totalitaranism, persecution, aggression, and other evils, but the one thing we can do is not support it indirectly through purchase of goods.
Certainly, and regrettably, there is much cooperation w/ in varying degrees between American global corporations and the CCP so it is difficult to avoid making Made in China (and I exclude Taiwan from that) purchases. Think back to WWII and how this country became so united, and willing to sacrifice. We are in a Cold War with the CCP today, and the least we can do to support our country, once the beacon of freedom for the world, is to avoid purchase of Made in China goods to the best of our abilities.

Since this thread continues on, I'm compelled to comment. It is not done to arise contention but hopefully thought about buying Chinese, when there are alternatives to do so.
There is much ado about the Coronavirus and for some rightly so, but we have much more to fear from the CCP than we do of this virus, in terms of freedom and the rise of global communism. There is not much we can do individually to stop the advance of CCP's totalitaranism, persecution, aggression, and other evils, but the one thing we can do is not support it indirectly through purchase of goods.
Certainly, and regrettably, there is much cooperation w/ in varying degrees between American global corporations and the CCP so it is difficult to avoid making Made in China (and I exclude Taiwan from that) purchases. Think back to WWII and how this country became so united, and willing to sacrifice. We are in a Cold War with the CCP today, and the least we can do to support our country, once the beacon of freedom for the world, is to avoid purchase of Made in China goods to the best of our abilities.

I'm curious... How does it benefit the U.S. to buy a German "made" chainsaw where half (or more) of it's parts are made in China?

I fully understand the "Support local business with local purchases" And I do! But if I cant get what I want locally, I will go else where to get it.
"

Where are Stihl chainsaws made?​

Stihl chainsaws are manufactured in the United States and China. The company has a facility in Virginia Beach, Virginia and Qingdao, China. “Made by STIHL” is a brand promise – no matter the location of production. Each chainsaw undergoes tried-and-tested STIHL quality control and high standards."

Every major chainsaw manufacture has a facility in China! So to your logic EVEN BUYING a Stihl OEM Chainsaw you are STILL supporting the CCP!! Do you see how this argument becomes circular?

And here I agree with you, The CCP is no friend to the Constitutional Federal Republic! I have no ill will toward the citizenry of China, But I would continue to keep a vigil eye on their Government.

Latest posts

Back