Rate your Chinese chain saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm more concerned about the communist Chinese taking the money and building weapons of war with it...
Well ,we should take into consideration that in fact it was the Chinese who invented gunpowder ,explosives and actually employed the first rockets. Gunpowder was invented in China in 142 AD.
And actually were the first to try a jet airplane ,according to the legend of Wan-Hu .
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wan_Hu
Check out a piece of history from
NASA :

https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/rocket/BottleRocket/13thru16.htm
China is the oldest empire ,still in existence .No other empire has
survived to modern times .

They know all about trade,war,strategy,politics,
medicine,chemistry,etc
from couple thousand years BC.

The truth is that,up till recently,
the dragon was sleeping .

Darkness is upon us ,as the
whole western world drifts
to a non-civilized ,unethical
and immoral state,while the three
Asian kings are gathering .
The bear ,the dragon and the tiger are preparing to march .
In the same time ,we are drowning in the abyss of paranoia .

BTW , all of the OEM Stihl MS170 2mix and MS180 2mix I own are made in China.
Couldn't be happier with them .

Well ,we should take into consideration that in fact it was the Chinese who invented gunpowder ,explosives and actually employed the first rockets. Gunpowder was invented in China in 142 AD.
And actually were the first to try a jet airplane ,according to the legend of Wan-Hu .
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wan_Hu
Check out a piece of history from
NASA :

https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/rocket/BottleRocket/13thru16.htm
China is the oldest empire ,still in existence .No other empire has
survived to modern times .

They know all about trade,war,strategy,politics,
medicine,chemistry,etc
from couple thousand years BC.

The truth is that,up till recently,
the dragon was sleeping .

Darkness is upon us ,as the
whole western world drifts
to a non-civilized ,unethical
and immoral state,while the three
Asian kings are gathering .
The bear ,the dragon and the tiger are preparing to march .
In the same time ,we are drowning in the abyss of paranoia .

BTW , all of the OEM Stihl MS170 2mix and MS180 2mix I own are made in China.
Couldn't be happier with them .
I guess they had to try their rockets, no one had one to copy..

How soon we forget all of the trials and tribulations and catastrophic failures that went unwarrantied by the big two (especially Husky) over a dark period of almost 10 years running not very many years ago. Not to mention burnt up, unwarranteed Echos...

I just bought a proyama top handle about a month ago

It runs so good I decided to go out on a limb and bought a neotec ns892v. It also seems to run very well. I pulled the muffler after two tanks and from what I can see from that hole and the plug hole it looks perfect in there. Chamfered upper transfer edges and exhaust port, crosshatched, no bad marks anywhere that I can see. So far... The stock decomp valve was rubbish, making it difficult to start (it has crazy-good compression and perfectly advanced timing...by feel, that is). I robbed one out of my jonny 2152 and now I can easily start the thing. The neotec kit conveniently provided a plug, so now that's in the jonny.

they are occasional use saws for me. I hope they last...

there's good information and rubbish information by shills from all sides all over the internet.

Chicanic should stop running dull saws...just an observation

Some of the shills should get educated before they attempt to educate others... Kudos to the knowledgeable and honest ones!

anyway, just a little rant.

like I said, I hope they last. I paid too much for the little one, as I have bought a few very nice saws for less and a couple for not much more. But the little bugger cuts like crazy even with the bar buried in bone-dry, hard aspen. Kindofa farm saw powerband, but nice.

oh, and those chinese chains actually come sharp. A little stretchy tho. We'll see if they settle in. 2 tanks through the big saw and 4 through the little saw does not a test of anything make..

I'm more concerned about the communist Chinese taking the money and building weapons of war with it...
On a realistic note, Walmart sales channels smoothing a path for Chinese "consumer" goods, Amazon sales of the same, and interest on the debt paid to China because of how folks vote far out weigh any small chainsaws company which BTW has no ties to their government where as those who drive up the debt to China DO have ties to both governments. That interest alone has funded most of the Chinese expansion in military manufacturing technologies. "western" companies who have subcontracted their manufacturing of components and in some case do manufacturing technology transfers to China add to the capability as well, THEN complain when products like these blue saws show up and compete with their "Chinese" offerings. Why should we complain and criticize folks in China who just take advantage of those opportunities provided? Opportunities constructed mostly from here? As we would?

But for me? The OP was about real experiences not politics. I've posted and will say again I've had plenty of experience with kits and clones and it's been a pretty consistent .... mixed bag :) My Blue g395 is awesome for the money after it was "debugged" . My various clone 372's had crank issues but would prolly do fine for a hobby type but certainly aren't "pro" material. The kits saws have done more to increase the general knowledge in the saw community than any other event I can think of over the last 20 years. And in my humble opinion has raised the quality of the experience for countless folks who would have never tried to learn saw mechanics at that level as the saw business and community was prior. Combination of cost and online interaction blew the black magic off saw repair and building to where some "hobby" type are on par with so called trained professionals. AND is the roots of a entire industry / community about interacting and supporting the folks in that world. MOSTLY on on other social media platforms as the "conventional" online forums are a bit behind partly because of the peer pressure to spend the money in conventional ways & to keep a "lid" on this change. Interesting to me that's true even of a forum or two sponsored by companies who's stock & trade are Aftermarket parts from where? AND while this kit saw/clone saw thing goes off in it's own way, the Pro's still depend on the major OEM to provide supported and reliable tools to make a living with, THAT has not changed & the kit saw/clone haven't really earned a place there. Yet. Both M-Tronic & Autotune saws have advanced the state of the art. Why do I mix that in? Because many of the same folks who would reign in the kit saw/clone saw movement are the ones nervous about the Autotunes :) LOL Oh Boy, now the flames :) Nice to be old and retired so it doesn't matter to me much.

This prospective makes a lot of sense to me, China will take over the world without firing a shot, it's only a matter of time, I'm getting older, probably won't see it. I bought a ChiCom made Senix 4 stroke saw, because it was a novelty.
I believe we purchase things everyday made in china,fact of life, we don't have to like it. Even the "great Stihl co. makes stuff in china".

So I wanted a pro grade chainsaw >40cc and <10 lbs for occassional light-med duty storm cleanup. 40cc is enough for the medium stuff and I wanted compact/lightweight. The only options are the Husky 543XP for around $600 or the Echo CS-4310 which is unobtainium here in the US. (Stihl threw in the towel with the MS241.) I looked into getting the Echo shipped across the pond and it would have been >$800 and there's no source of parts in the US.

I stumbled across a Neo-Tec NH843 on Amazon for $160 and decided to take the gamble. It a 543XP clone. I must admit that I'm pretty impressed. The build and parts quality looks no worse than the big three. It starts right up and runs great. Reviews are generally quite good. My go to saw is my beloved 550XP but this one fills the gap for lighter duty work at about 1/4 the price of the 543XP. I wouldn't be surprised if Neo-Tec sources the same parts as Zenoah. The NH 843 has a fully adjustable carb and a pretty open non Cat muffler. The only issue is the intake gasket blocked the strato port but 10 minutes of dissassembly and an Xacto knife fixed that issue.

So I wanted a pro grade chainsaw >40cc and <10 lbs for occassional light-med duty storm cleanup. 40cc is enough for the medium stuff and I wanted compact/lightweight. The only options are the Husky 543XP for around $600 or the Echo CS-4310 which is unobtainium here in the US. (Stihl threw in the towel with the MS241.) I looked into getting the Echo shipped across the pond and it would have been >$800 and there's no source of parts in the US.

I stumbled across a Neo-Tec NH843 on Amazon for $160 and decided to take the gamble. It a 543XP clone. I must admit that I'm pretty impressed. The build and parts quality looks no worse than the big three. It starts right up and runs great. Reviews are generally quite good. My go to saw is my beloved 550XP but this one fills the gap for lighter duty work at about 1/4 the price of the 543XP. I wouldn't be surprised if Neo-Tec sources the same parts as Zenoah. The NH 843 has a fully adjustable carb and a pretty open non Cat muffler. The only issue is the intake gasket blocked the strato port but 10 minutes of dissassembly and an Xacto knife fixed that issue.
Okay, but you shouldn't have to repair/modify a new saw to get it to run right no matter the cost..

Okay, but you shouldn't have to repair/modify a new saw to get it to run right no matter the cost..
I completely agree. The theory is that enabling the strato port would have been a patent violation so they closed it off. I knew about this in advance and it was a simple mod. It seemed to run fine with the port blocked.

However Neo-Tec shouldn't have picked a model that they couldn't clone 100% legally. I see that the NH843 is now unavailable. Maybe they pulled it off the market.

IMHO there's a big void in 40+ cc, <10 lb , compact pro grade saws. Most of the 40cc saws are the same size and weight as 50cc saws just less powerful.

Stunningly good post weimerdog.. you have reiterated many points we discuss on a regular basis... Well said...

Davefr we stopped selling the 843s for a little while.. there was an issue with the wrist pin/piston bushings being overly hard and brittle.. we have upgraded a few with the newer bushings and opened up the strato while we were in there.. I've not had time to do extensive testing yet.. I can say the new bushings do not shatter or break anywhere near as easily as the older ones did... According to my hammer tests at least.. how that translates over time I just don't know yet...

Scott

I completely agree. The theory is that enabling the strato port would have been a patent violation so they closed it off. I knew about this in advance and it was a simple mod. It seemed to run fine with the port blocked.

However Neo-Tec shouldn't have picked a model that they couldn't clone 100% legally. I see that the NH843 is now unavailable. Maybe they pulled it off the market.

IMHO there's a big void in 40+ cc, <10 lb , compact pro grade saws. Most of the 40cc saws are the same size and weight as 50cc saws just less powerful.
Since when did the Chinese ever worry about patent violations? Everything they make is a copy of something someone else made first...

I've been working on my own NH843 clone saw lately. Besides discovering the stratos being blocked off by the intake gasket, the intake manifold also had an air leak. I've addressed those issues and did some machine/port work to it. It's an alright saw, but I'm not super pumped on it...I guess it's a good value considering the price.

I bought it for a very limited task, so I didn't want to spend $600 on an actual 543xp. I often ride with one of my climbing saws on the front of my dirt bike, but I wanted a slightly larger powerhead and bar for dealing with deadfall, without jumping all the way up to my 550xp. It's going to get beat up and rattled around on the front of the bike, that's the perfect use for a clone saw.

I got one of the last neo tec 892's if not the last one off amazon.ca.
I dont need a 90cc saw but for 369 canadian with a 24 inch bar why not have one?
I thought I ordered the regular handle cheap one but got the 3/4 wrap handle and upgraded foam air filter. I hate wrap handles and cut it off lol.
It starts and runs great but I have a couple issues to resolve with it.
The oil pump is weak, I modded it and it's a bit better and useable now but I'll mod it some more before buying a new one.
The bar oil cap broke and the decomp sucks, it comes with a plug but you need a decomp valve, it has a lot of compression, the recoil wont last without the decomp.
I used a husky 61 gas cap for the bar oil cap and it fits great. I also upgraded the gas cap with one off a poulan 3514 which fits good too lol.
I'm swapping my bud the decomp plug my saw came with for the oem decomp valve out of his husky.

I knew I'd have some little things to fix going in and havent spent anything but my time fixing stuff so far.

Since when did the Chinese ever worry about patent violations? Everything they make is a copy of something someone else made first...
Most of what they've copied so far are old designs that the manufacturer's have abandoned. (ex: 066, 372XP, 038, etc)

Stunningly good post weimerdog.. you have reiterated many points we discuss on a regular basis... Well said...

Davefr we stopped selling the 843s for a little while.. there was an issue with the wrist pin/piston bushings being overly hard and brittle.. we have upgraded a few with the newer bushings and opened up the strato while we were in there.. I've not had time to do extensive testing yet.. I can say the new bushings do not shatter or break anywhere near as easily as the older ones did... According to my hammer tests at least.. how that translates over time I just don't know yet...

Scott
Scott,
Any insight as to why they blocked the strato port? Was is based on legal issues or stupidity?

Back