Real men don't wear ear plugs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I worked a commercial sawmill and the sound level was deafening, literally. I wore both the earmffs and the foam inserts. For saws/weedwackers I wear a helmet with muffs and the foam inserts.

There was a guy who had worked in the commercial mill a few years with no hearing protection. He acquired the nickname "Zombie", as speaking to him had no effect.

Yesterday I looked up, the hearing loss of rock musicians. They are all deaf. I cut with people that don't wear ear plugs, and I use to just shake my head. I have stopped attempting to school people, else be labeled a nag. Some of what I do, does rub off, but hearing protection is something some people just don't get. Bottom line, if someone is doing something harmful to ones own self, let him be. He is a big boy and can look after his own self.

Yeah I need to start wearing plugs when running my saws. Between that and competitive pistol shooting I cannot hear the keys as I type this by hitting the keys extra hard! I have custom molded electronic plugs, you'd think it would be a no brainer for me!

I have tinnitus mostly bc I grew up in the auto body industry and 20 plus years ago nobody wore any PPE including ear plugs or a respirator even when in the paint booth. Also shot a lot as a kid without any ear pro still don’t when hunting.

Tinnitus is a real beoch esp when you find yourself in lasting silence, rifles and shotguns are not so bad as the shooter but as a bystander it suks. Pistols are the worst! Cranking up engines after repair or replacement without exhaust hooked up can be deafening. Jet engines and rock concerts are very painful if you are too close to the sound output. Fireworks are just as bad as all I just listed!
Now I wear muffs anytime Im running gas powered equipment, shooting or going to events.
I always wear high quality sun glasses that double as eye protection, saves my eyes from so many things!! I typically only wear the helmet/muff/visor when felling or cutting up downed trees held off the ground. I carry a machete and axe to clear my way through brush and I almost never cut in thick woods that have not been mulched or brush hogged. My typical cutting setup is 3m muffs and sun glasses, if cutting with/around others or heavy equipment I wear the helmet setup. When I take my family to fireworks shows or public events/shows I pack everyone a set of ear muffs.

In addition to all @cookies said, I also use to wear earplugs at the theater. I haven't been to a movie theater in over 10 years. Probably still to loud. They crank up the volume for the deaf, and so we can all go deaf. Leveling the playing field. :nofunny:

"Real men don't wear ear plugs"
- Real men don't read the manual, that covers it.

I got tinnitus from playing my guitar at 11 - that's a volume number, not my age.
I thought loosing your hearing was about peace and quiet, its not - its about hearing Niagara falls up close.

My favorite is the telecaster, I had one once. Balance, sustain and tone.
Haven't played or sung for 20 years - too much acid and flein mushrooms. I was a musician on weed but I'm really a crafter when sober. Never was an entertainer. Half my life up in smoke... I cant regret it though, I do not believe in regrets or alternative life patterns. What is is what is, I am grateful for the time I have already been granted.

Havent played or sung for 20 years - too much acid flein mushrooms. I was a musician on weed but I'm really a crafter when sober. Never was an entertainor.
Yes the Tele sounds great but the belly cut on the Strat makes me favor it for comfort.

Havent played or sung for 20 years - too much acid and flein mushrooms. I was a musician on weed but I'm really a crafter when sober. Never was an entertainor.
Well I hope I motivated you today to go up in the attic and bring them down and play.

Yes the Tele sounds great but the belly cut on the Strat makes me favor it for comfort.
And it does give some interesting alternatives with the vibe arm.
Thank you sir, I just might... I think my Strat might be an Eric Clapton signature or something - it has a very round or triangular neck, quite round on the fret board too. Suitable to fold your hand around it, I like it.

Back