Really really really want a tractor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive been looking around for quite a while at used ones. Like someone said the used prices are way up as well. I do still look and will until I actually pull the trigger on one.
Not sure where you are in CT, but Goff's in Litchfield carry's the MF line. GC series tractors are nice or you can step up to the 1800 series. They were pretty straight forward and upfront when I talked to them. I'm up in NH so if I wanted to avoid the sales tax I had to have them meet me over a state line and transfer that way or some such foolishness.

kioti makes bobcat tractors. For the ones complaining about HST wine the smaller Kubotas seem to be the biggest issue. My kioti and the new MX60 I just got for my friend are very quiet. My power steering system on my DK50 makes more noise than the Hydrostat. There is a reason that most of the newer dozers and tractors are going to hydrostat. CONTROL you can't beat a hydrostat for this and also it breaks less driveline parts. I ran a smaller 15000lb dozer that was a clutch and gear set up, what a Joke. It was a Komatsu and I wouldn't give you a nickel for it. My 1985 D3 would work circles around it and did it without stalling. The only thing a clutched tractor does as good or better than a hydrostat is pull a plow. And that is marginal. Clutched tractors and equipment are going away just like cars and trucks. CJ

Just don't get a Hoyt-Clagwell.
Parts are impossible to get, and the wheels keep falling off.
(Yes, I watch too much Green Acres, my favorite show from when I was a kid).
Haha. Green Acres is one of the sickest and funniest show ever! Hogan's Heroes is tops too and I get to watch them back to back every night!!!

What dealers do you have close by? Good ones? Dealer support is a big one. We've got Kubotas here. No issues. Just one bad sensor episode on our M6, they came and got it and brought a loaner for us to use the 3 days it was gone. I don't think they're any dearer than others brands. Especially JD. Factor in resale also, although that's a guessing game.

theres a Ls dealer a few miles from me. The kioti dealer is a little over an hour. Mahindra guy didn’t even call me back. Kubota isn’t too far either I can’t think of the town off the top of my head.

In case you didn't know; LS is a "component" tractor. They make some, but not much of their machine in-house. I believe they are more of an assembler than a manufacturer. Kioti and Kubota manufacture most of the components of their machines themselves, especially the major components. This means, to a certain extent LS changes suppliers like socks. That being said, LS made lots of the "Boomer" tractors for Case/NewHolland in a similar fashion that Yanmar has for Deere. Some of the Boomers are not Korean, however. They are Japanese (Mitsubishi?).

LS's other claim to fame in metallurgy is cutlery.

Kioti used to make drivetrain components for Kubota (gears, shafts, etc). This was partly during the time that Kubota was establishing their "bulletproof" reputation.

I imagine you are well down the rabbit hole now...

personally, I would avoid Mahindra. Just my take, others' observations may be different.

the smaller brands are kind of like Echo compared to Stihl and Husqvarna. Not quite in the same league. But definitely serviceable and probably just as durable.

but, as has been mentioned, parts supply and service (like getting a replacement tractor if yours breaks) is generally better through the majors. I would question all of your prospective sellers regarding "what happens if mine breaks under warranty, will you supply a loaner? Who pays for trucking to and fro, if required?, etc, etc. Get it in writing on the bill-of-sale.

get shop and parts manuals with whatever you get..

Not sure who actually makes it but Bobcat has tractors now, no DEF fluid required on some the few models that I was looking at.

Tier 4 emissions requirements have breaks at certain HP levels. In practice what that means is that engines under 75hp don't use DEF and engines under 25.5hp don't use a DPF or DOC and have mechanical injection. Bransons over 25.5hp also use mechanical injection but have a DPF. Everyone else over 25.5hp uses common rail except the Kubota B3350 and you don't want one of those.

Even five years ago used compact tractors in my area were expensive. You'd see units that were clearly beat on with near new asking prices. Clean low hour units were rare and asking essentially the same a new except with no warranty. I expect it's worse now. It may be different in other locations so it's worth checking the local market. There's a lot of ag not far from me but they use big tractors, not compacts. I ended up with a new Branson. The Kubota L01 series did not impress me much and I had to beg their dealers to even give me a price. Most other local dealers would hardly talk to me if I wasn't buying a $200k ag tractor. I ended up buying from a dealer 3 hours drive away. They ship parts to me. All I have needed is filters. Routine maintenance is not difficult if you're already used to working on vehicles.

Thanks for the reply’s guys I appreciate it. I’ve been reading up on it and watching videos on different tractors. I wanna see what the price on the bobcat equivalent of the kioti 2610 is. I don’t think they have a 3510 copy. I believe they jump to the 40hp one.

Mahindra probably gives you more for you money than even Kioti, but when you need parts, particularly major parts that fail in-warranty, you many be looking at many months for your dealer to get them. I know at least 2 people that this has happened to, and one of them depended on his Kioti every day, in his business. He absolutely needs the tractor, and they did nothing but say the parts were on order. The thrill of the low price soon wears off when the tractor is waiting on parts.

He went down the highway to the Kubota dealer, and bought one. When the Kioti was eventually repaired, he gave it to his grandson to play around with on his farm.

I've had 2 JD tractors that have done a ton of work for me, and I can't complain. My present one is a 32 hp hydrostatic. Also just diesel fuel; no DFT. If I were to change anything, I'd go next size up, as I can only lift 1420 lb with my forks. Occasionally it would be nice to pick up more.
I keep seeing locally $1400 for smaller tractors w/ front end loader and backhoe on FB Market popups? Anything beats nothing, and always good to have small, you can add larger later?

In case you didn't know; LS is a "component" tractor. They make some, but not much of their machine in-house. I believe they are more of an assembler than a manufacturer. Kioti and Kubota manufacture most of the components of their machines themselves, especially the major components. This means, to a certain extent LS changes suppliers like socks. That being said, LS made lots of the "Boomer" tractors for Case/NewHolland in a similar fashion that Yanmar has for Deere. Some of the Boomers are not Korean, however. They are Japanese (Mitsubishi?).

LS's other claim to fame in metallurgy is cutlery.

Kioti used to make drivetrain components for Kubota (gears, shafts, etc). This was partly during the time that Kubota was establishing their "bulletproof" reputation.

I imagine you are well down the rabbit hole now...

personally, I would avoid Mahindra. Just my take, others' observations may be different.

the smaller brands are kind of like Echo compared to Stihl and Husqvarna. Not quite in the same league. But definitely serviceable and probably just as durable.

but, as has been mentioned, parts supply and service (like getting a replacement tractor if yours breaks) is generally better through the majors. I would question all of your prospective sellers regarding "what happens if mine breaks under warranty, will you supply a loaner? Who pays for trucking to and fro, if required?, etc, etc. Get it in writing on the bill-of-sale.

get shop and parts manuals with whatever you get..
My brother-in-law bought a Mahindra here in Guthrie, OK a few years ago. A couple of years later, the dealership closed up and left. Seems there was a problem getting warranty work done. There is a Kabuta dealer across the highway, and they are still here. I bet there are some regrets somewhere down the line. ;<)

I was in the same boat as you and it was down to Mahindra vs LS. At the last minute I found a Yanmar dealer an hour away (the furthest of the 3) but was much more impressed with the build quality and features of Yanmar vs. the rest. They make the engines most tractors use, why not get the whole tractor made by them. Made in Japan, assembled here (like Kubota). Picked up the subcompact and am really impressed, the thing is a little tank. Stay under 25 HP and avoid all the emissions stuff if you can.

Attachments

• IMG_8621.jpg
    IMG_8621.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
As was stated before, any "brand" you see in the US is probably made by someone else. JD is a yanmar. That said, I had a yanmar JD 5500N. (75HP) It pulled a sprayer that took ~45 HP for the fan and another 5-10 HP for the 30 GPM pump. It took half as much fuel as the MF 275 or the JD 2020 gas or the JD 1530. The 1530 was about 40 hp and didn't really have enough guts to pull the sprayer. My dad bout it new in 1974 to replace the 25hp ford 8N. It was way more tractor than the ford ever wanted to be. The 5500 was like a dream. It way outpulled the MF 275 with roughly equal HP.

IMHO, buying a new tractor, unless it is working hard every day, like in a feedlot, is a waste of money. You can buy a nice IH H that is 75 years old, for around $1000 or 1500 and it will pull trailer loads of wood anywhere. If you want a loader, then yes, a newer tractor with live hydraulics is what you want. A IH super H or 300 or 350 qualifies. With a tricycle tractor you have to be careful on hillsides. Best to go straight up or down with any tractor. You can buy a lot of tractor with loader for under $5000. And if you need shiny new paint, repaint it. Most dealers will repaint in the winter for a reasonable price.

My other point is that even a ford 8N or better yet Jubilee (NAA) for 25-35 hp is built for tractor work. Buy a real tractor used, for logging and timber work. I ran over some brush with the JD5500 that I thought nothing of. The brush bent up the hydraulic filter that hangs down on the side and put me out of business for a few days until I got a new filter and fluid.

I used the 1530 with a posthole digger on the 3 point to skid logs. It pulled 20' long 36" red oak up and over the frozen ground. It also pulled a 55' long 18" white oak that was straight as an arrow up a steep hill and out, but it was touch and go. By tying the chain to the top of the posthole digger, and running the 3 point up or down I could vary the weight on the rear axle and pull way more than hooking to the drawbar. The posthole digger frame also acts as wheelie bars so the tractor can't flip over backwards. Another good pulling tractor is a case 310, because it can't climb the ring gear. It squats and pulls. They are hard to find.

a 25 HP asian tractor is good for gardening or mowing your estate. they won't handle the timber brush well. If you are clearing fencerows for firewood, then the little asian tractor would be ok running over tilled or mowed land. Depends on what you needs are.

As for me, I hauled almost all my firewood behind and IH H on a trailer. Never any problem. Parts are readily available, if you need them. Newish 23º lug tires will make a world of difference in what you can pull and what you can go through.

As alway, just my opinion, FWIW, and YMMV
Brush concerns are why I had my Mahindra dealer fabricate an underbelly brush guard attached to the loader frame. The filters and hydro lines are quite vulnerable under the tractor. That having been said, my 5035HST can pull a lot. I have dragged a 20" diameter, 60 foot long Hickory log up a 15 degree slope, BTW, maybe we are realted. My family name is Benz.

I keep seeing locally $1400 for smaller tractors w/ front end loader and backhoe on FB Market popups? Anything beats nothing, and always good to have small, you can add larger later?
Many of those deals are scams. Photos of someone else’s tractor.
Here that wouldn’t buy you a good lawn tractor.

Deere and Kubota used compact tractors with a FEL prices exceed those of many larger farm tractors with a FEL.

Ron

I have spend significant money buying new trucks, tractors, and equipment just before emissions regulations have impacted these items. I just didn't want to be the Guinee pig. I feel enough time has past and the DEF systems have been proven so that won't significantly impact future purchases where I have options of DEF or no DEF.
I have a history of buying equipment this is "underpowered" in others opinion. I assess my needs, how I will run the equipment, and the HP required to do the tasks.
I feel the 25HP compact loader is underpowered for pushing and loading materials like gravel efficiently. I'd recommend trying both machines moving gravel to see if the machine operates as you would expect doing this operation. This may not be your main use but translates to other activities.

IMO hydro is the way to go for material handling operations.

Be sure to get or make a large weight box in addition to loading the tires. That is a substantial lifting capacity for that size tractor and width.

Frame size is a much bigger factor than hp, IMO. A 30hp B series is no comparison to a 30hp L series. I am referring to the older models - no idea on the nomenclature of the new ones. I personally don't see the value in spending $30k on a compact tractor when one can be had for 1/3 of that and provide years of service, but to each their own.

I as many have said the choice between hydro and clutch can make a difference in your comfort level if you're doing a lot of loader work with a bucket then you probably want Hydro for the back and forth hard on the left foot that kind of thing with the gears but if you're doing any kind of long dragging of logs or plowing or Mowing and such you're going to want the clutch with the gears.
My advice to you is do some driving around see people that have tractors of the size you want in their backyard or side yard and if you want, talk to them what they see what they do with their tractor, take a look at them see how they start Etc don't look at a lawn mower size if you want 40 horsepower rig so don't even look at the small ones you want one with some weight if you're going to be pulling logs the more weight you have the harder they pull. Ask him how they start how they start in the winter don't know how cold it is where you are but right now it's the middle of the day and it's 10 below Northern Vermont so you're going to want something that starts at that temperature my Kubota has never failed never plugged it in. Use winter weight diesel in the winter and summer weight in the summer otherwise you're going to have a "freeze up" if it's cold like it is here. How can it freeze up? well it isn't really Frozen like water freezes it forms a wax and the wax is so thick that the diesel can't seep through it and it just plain stops and until it warms up or you put in some diesel treatment.
If you have a boat you always want two footitis: you're always looking for a boat that's 2 ft longer. Same thing with a tractor if you don't buy one that's big enough you're always going to be looking at something that's a little bit bigger and then you'll think I can afford that so buy it right once and be done with it.

Not any field work, just where you are using 100% of the tractors power. And now with the bigger tractors like my buddies 500+ hp John deere it has a power match system that keeps the tractor at peak rpm for fuel efficiency. Unit is hydrostat driven. Anyway the few HP you will loose with the hydrostat is more than made up for in just about everywhere else. Once you blow snow or run a loader with a Stat you will never go back to gear. Cj

There is no right answer for all and you need to determine your uses and budget. In my case, I was happy to buy used and was not biased by brand. I looked for a year and it is impossible to find a good deal and you really need to know what you are looking at to determine what is fair.

Lots of great info above and out there. In addition to Tractorbynet.com check out Messicks and goodworkstractors youtube channels. Lots of great info that can help you on narrowing your choice regardless of the brand you end up with. BTW - there are general trends with brands but each has had its lemon lines or models so keep that in mind when you research used. Then once you hone in, go to the brand-specific forums.

My sweet spot and long-term bang for the buck ended up on the lowest hp to get rid of tier4 emission on the mid-frame tractor. Covid and supply chain has distorted the tractor market, like cars HVAC etc. FWIW The best choice & deal for ME was actually new and I landed on Kubota L2501 HST as TLB with grapple. I love it and for my needs it is the "goldilocks" just right tractor

There is no right answer for all and you need to determine your uses and budget. In my case, I was happy to buy used and was not biased by brand. I looked for a year and it is impossible to find a good deal and you really need to know what you are looking at to determine what is fair.

Lots of great info above and out there. In addition to Tractorbynet.com check out Messicks and goodworkstractors youtube channels. Lots of great info that can help you on narrowing your choice regardless of the brand you end up with. BTW - there are general trends with brands but each has had its lemon lines or models so keep that in mind when you research used. Then once you hone in, go to the brand-specific forums.

My sweet spot and long-term bang for the buck ended up on the lowest hp to get rid of tier4 emission on the mid-frame tractor. Covid and supply chain has distorted the tractor market, like cars HVAC etc. FWIW The best choice & deal for ME was actually new and I landed on Kubota L2501 HST as TLB with grapple. I love it and for my needs it is the "goldilocks" just right tractor
My friend has a newish 45 horsepower John Deere hydrostatic with all the bells and whistles including a glass cab with three dimensional windows and the door and he started using it out in the woods next thing you know he bought a new door for a thousand bucks cuz the glass was broken keep that in mind if you buy something with a lot of bells and whistles it might come back to bite you. Unless you have a barn or put up a new building you're going to keep your tractor outside and the weather can be hard on tractors and anything with new electronics I'm a little suspect Outdoors

Latest posts

Back