Really really really want a tractor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know if they have a smaller one, 60 and 72" was all I saw when I was at the dealer. It's a dual cylinder model, and looked pretty "beefy". The owner mentioned that they have sold a lot of them and no issues to date. I'll give it a try and see how it works.

I have over 70 tops to cut up and move the brush from to a central location to burn it, so will find out pretty quickly if it's too much for the machine......

Don't know if they have a smaller one, 60 and 72" was all I saw when I was at the dealer. It's a dual cylinder model, and looked pretty "beefy". The owner mentioned that they have sold a lot of them and no issues to date. I'll give it a try and see how it works.

I have over 70 tops to cut up and move the brush from to a central location to burn it, so will find out pretty quickly if it's too much for the machine......
I recommend you find out how much it weighs. Every pound on it is one less pound you can lift. Surprising how fast lift capacity is lost to the attachment and, if applicable, the attachment that holds the attachment.

Ron

Just to look at it I'd say 300 pounds or so. Not planning on lifting big weight with it, mostly grab and drag to the landing for the most part, and lifting a few tops out of the muck to cut them up.

This is not my first rodeo with tractors or equipment I grew up on a farm and have owned, borrowed, rented and used all sort of small tractors, mini-excavators, backhoes, skid-steers, etc.

I'll tread softy at first to find the capabilities limitations of the loader and machine and report back if it's worth two squirts of duck poop or not?.......Cliff

Tractors are handy, but I would argue that a skid steer is a lot more handy.

It really depends on the task at hand, and the individual tractor vs skid steer you're talking about.

I mean if you're comparing a skid to an 8n, then yeah absolutely. Personally, I think skids, generally speaking, are more robust and powerful for lifting, digging, and grappling tasks. A tracked one for grading is pretty sweet too. But handy, not really. They're a pain to get into and out of compared to a tractor, and you really can't operate on a lawn without doing damage. My kubota with a loader and three point has better visibility, is easier to get into, can operate on a lawn, AND it can carry two implements at the same time.

I sure love using a grapple on the front and my box blade on the back for burning brush. Or the grapple on the front and the winch on the back for logging. Or the bucket on the front and the box blade on the back for spreading gravel. Also, I know they can do it, but a skid loader with a bush hog sucks for mowing a pasture compared to a tractor.

Tractors are also usually a fair bit cheaper. I have $5050 into a 1999 new Holland tc29d and a 5' bush hog. Show me a handier setup for mowing a pasture with a skid loader for even twice the price.

Read the reviews on yt about tractors having certain problems. It steered me away from b a new one.

Here’s my 55 Willy’s Jeep 4x4 75 hp with 5:38:1 gears with loc rites in both diffs and 4 way plow. Owned her for 25+ years now. Boxed the frame with 3/8” plate steel. I have wrecker ice bar chains on four wheels. If I was going to do this again it would be a dualists 4 x4 one ton drivetrain.

I’m building a tractor with an fel and backhoe but cancer took a hold of me. I have some work to do but can’t spend. $50: k on a machine.

Attachments

• 01A923BA-E181-46B8-9265-F2D4626624E7.jpeg
    01A923BA-E181-46B8-9265-F2D4626624E7.jpeg
    41.9 KB · Views: 10

There are no double lid grapples that weigh 300lbs more like 600. My single lid econo grapple is 375. Very light weight. And yes I have bent the lid and tines a couple of times. You would not be able to tear up a 600+ lb grapple on a machine that will only lift 1200. Anyway you sound like you are all set! have fun with the new toy. CJ

I don't have any way to weigh the grapple but you could be correct. It did appear to be very well built so may weigh in closer to 500lbs or so. Not really a concern for me, as I'm moving a lot of brush and limbs cut from tops with it. I'll use it to pick up some of the larger tops out of the muck after I cut the smaller limbs loose. I'm really looking forward to having another hand to help me out. Turning 63 this year and although I'm still able to do everything I want to it's going to be really nice to have a loader and grapple to help me out.......

Not sure if the OP has decided but just posting this to give an idea for prices etc. Its about an hour south of me and If I had REAL money, it would fit right in my WANT category. Tractors are awesome.

"2020 John Deere 3025e 42 hours like new with front loader extended warranty 20,800"
JD craigs.jpg

I recommend you find out how much it weighs. Every pound on it is one less pound you can lift. Surprising how fast lift capacity is lost to the attachment and, if applicable, the attachment that holds the attachment.

Ron
The frame for the forks on a loader without the forks and some attachments part way up will allow use of chains and the distance front to back can be changed somewhat with the curl function. Close most of the time but farther away to keep the load from hitting the nose of the tractor. Depends on what tires are on the front like I said prior the compact and subcompact tractors have limited front tires in my opinion. getting some load on both ends is the most productive if the distance is much.

I found a LOT of JD 3025E's for sale in excellent shape, low hours, etc.

It's a nice unit, but lacks mid PTO, lightweight aluminum diff, and for some reason the diff-loc is part of the brake pedal (if memory serves me correctly).

The dealer where I tested several other tractors had three of them with under 100 hours on the clock at about the same money......

Mid PTO is good for running a mid mounted finish mower or a front mounted snow blower. And that's about it. My tractor is far too heavy to use on the lawn; I mow that with a riding mower.

If you'll be picking up heavy stuff you should have some ballast on the rear 3pt. They make ballast boxes which can be both heavy and compact, unlike implements. Many people make their own.

I have three international 154’s, one farmall cub. I have six cub cadets with plow, mowers, snowthrower, tiller, plus my Jeep with the rear engine driven pto. Need chains to push any kind of snow.

Another thing to keep in mind about JD compact tractors is that the front end loaders use a proprietary quick attach. Not many attachment manufactures make attachments that use the JD style. This will limit your ability to find used or cheap attachments. Skid steer quick attach style is much more common.

Another thing to keep in mind about JD compact tractors is that the front end loaders use a proprietary quick attach. Not many attachment manufactures make attachments that use the JD style. This will limit your ability to find used or cheap attachments. Skid steer quick attach style is much more common.
I realize that there are a vast amount of skid steer quick attach devices out there but I would have to say that there are a lot of items out there with the JDQA system as well. Most manufacturers recognize the market size that JD has and they accomodate their devices to the JDQA. So I would not make that a limiting factor.

12" of snow yesterday. 9' pusher and 7' blower. 7' wide back blade with sides and extended tongue to scrap away from doors and buildings. Any tractor is handy.

Attachments

• 20220106_152851.jpg
    20220106_152851.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
  • 20220126_162233.jpg
    20220126_162233.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
  • 20220125_165547.jpg
    20220125_165547.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 18
Not sure if the OP has decided but just posting this to give an idea for prices etc. Its about an hour south of me and If I had REAL money, it would fit right in my WANT category. Tractors are awesome.

"2020 John Deere 3025e 42 hours like new with front loader extended warranty 20,800"
View attachment 959586
No decisions as of yet. I’m going to look at a subcompact Massey when it comes in. Possibly next week I was told. I have to decide if I want a subcompact with a backhoe or a compact without a backhoe. I wanna go measure the Massey when it comes in. There’s a chance I might fit it in the storage box I use as a shed if I flip the backhoe to the side. I can’t do a compact with the hoe due to the huge price jump. I have to think what would be more useful overall for me.

Well good luck with your decision, it's not easy that's for sure.
For the backhoe do you have specific plans to dig footings for an upcoming structure or just do a lot digging in general?

Read the reviews on you tube. The welder who posts there had problems with his new one.

Latest posts

Back