Received bare root Western Hemlocks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I ordered a couple trays of western hemlock seedling and after a couple months wait a package arrived.
Well what was received was 50ea 12”-15” hemlocks someone pulled out of the ground and shipped bare root.

I have a few very mature acres where we experienced some blow down 10years ago.
That’s mostly cleaned up now.
Was hoping to reestablish with some natives.

I have them in some water with a mild mix of vitamin lb1.

What’s your best method to possibly revive a few of these guys?

It’s already June… seems kind of dire.
A few look ok. Many are already yellow needles and dying out.
New growth tips are wilting on some… better on others.
Poor little buggers.

Were the roots at least wrapped in wet newspaper shredding?

I've not had good luck with bare root transplants. Got a couple peach last year. They were supposed to ship in spring, showed up on my door step in a blizzard and low single digit weather. I kept them in the garage and moist for a few weeks as instructed. Only one made it through the summer. It didn't make it through the winter though.

Looks like you are SOL with these. Not sure of your elevation, but you want to plant bare root on the soil where very wet. Like where the snow is still 1 inch thick and melting away. Or where water is still oozing out from under your feet, if you are at lower elevation. That was likely a month ago.

My take: don't waste your limited time on earth with most of these. I recommend picking only your best 5% ( at most ) and put them in containers with loose light soil. Put those containers in a trough of water for a week then remove, keep them watered, save for next year. . Vitamin B1 really won't help.

Once roots dry out it’s tough to revive them. Keep them in water, and if you plant them, water daily. Good luck.

Back