Recommend a Milling bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Demonical

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a Husky 372XP and was running a 30" bar, but I modified my homemade mill, and now the outer bar clamp is right over the nose sprocket.
So I figure I need to go up to a 36" bar, but which bar should I use as a Milling bar?

On Amazon I'm looking at these:

Oregon 36" Power Match Chainsaw Bar .375" Pitch .058" Gauge Replacement for Husqvarna​

* I think this one ^ is the correct bar for milling but not sure?

Oregon 363RNDD025 .063" Gauge 3/8" Pitch 36" Power Match Bar​

Oregon 363RNDD009 .063" Gauge 3/8" Pitch 36" Power Match Bar​

Husqvarna Chainsaw Bar 36" 3/8 .058 115DL 608000058 3120XP 395 390​

The Oregon 363RNDD025 bar is for a Stihl so it is a no-go. The Husqvarna bar and the one you think is the correct one are the same, except one has Husqvarna in blue letters on it and the other has Oregon in red letters on it. The final bar is the same as the previous two bars, except it uses .063 gauge chain instead of .058. Locally, .063 or .050 are the only two gauges of chain I see, so I make sure my bars are one of those two gauges. If you have to get new chains anyway, you get get any of the three I mentioned and you'd be fine. Just get the correct gauge chain for the bar you decide on.

36" is a lot of bar to ask of a 372XP!
D009 is the correct mount for your saw.
D025 (Stihl 3003) is the Stihl mount & can be used on your husky with an adapter but you will have reduced chain adjustment. Upside to the Stihl mount is interchangeability & possibly easier re-sale.
3/8 & .375 are the same pitch.
The guage (.050, .058, .063) needs to match your chain. Some say .063 oils better (good for milling). Upside of running a smaller guage is you can move up to a larger guage chain as the bar groove wears.
If you are set on a 36" bar I wouldn't consider milling with anything other than skip tooth or a Granberg type chain (you can grind Granberg yourself from regular chain but its time consuming)
I'd look at the chain options you have available to you & buy a bar accordingly.
If you can find one that takes 116DL then you will end up with an even cutter count which is always nice

36" is a lot of bar to ask of a 372XP!
D009 is the correct mount for your saw.
D025 (Stihl 3003) is the Stihl mount & can be used on your husky with an adapter but you will have reduced chain adjustment. Upside to the Stihl mount is interchangeability & possibly easier re-sale.
3/8 & .375 are the same pitch.
The gauge (.050, .058, .063) needs to match your chain. Some say .063 oils better (good for milling). Upside of running a smaller gauge is you can move up to a larger guage chain as the bar groove wears.
If you are set on a 36" bar I wouldn't consider milling with anything other than skip tooth or a Granberg type chain (you can grind Granberg yourself from regular chain but its time consuming)
I'd look at the chain options you have available to you & buy a bar accordingly.
If you can find one that takes 116DL then you will end up with an even cutter count which is always nice
I heard of a guy who ran a 42 on his 372, and there was another guy on here who ran a ridiculously large bar on his 046 for milling, I think it was a 60 or 72? I'm not condoning such practices, but it can be done if you keep your chain sharp and take it slow.

I heard of a guy who ran a 42 on his 372, and there was another guy on here who ran a ridiculously large bar on his 046 for milling, I think it was a 60 or 72? I'm not condoning such practices, but it can be done if you keep your chain sharp and take it slow.
Yup, chain sharpening most definitely makes a huge difference

Ok guys thanks for the quick answers!

I'm looking at getting a 395XP with a 36" bar, so that makes (a bit) more sense than making the 372XP run a 36" milling chain... guess I'll wait on the 395XP.

I first started in the bush doing brushing and spacing work.. Initial saw was a 266 and after awhile I went with a 30" bar (because I'm tall and to lazy to bend all the way over) ..That worked fine for a few years..moved up to a 272 and ran a 34" or 36" bar , no problem for the saw what so ever..Mind you this was revving low to med high back to idle, same thing over and over for 8-9 hours 6 days a week.. I think your at your upper end with a bar that big for the saw..let er cool between cuts and you probable will be fine.

I noticed my 372 does not clear the chips very efficient. Did you mitigate that somehow for milling?

I have milled white birch and lodgepole pine, nothing huge. Logs were avg 12" to 16" and lengths 8'-9'.
So I never had issues with the 372 in that wood.

Latest posts

Back