Recommendation for bull rope

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The rope I've been using for at least ten years finally succumbed to wear and tear today. I'm pretty sure it's 1/2" and was, before it parted, 150' long. Before I order a replacement, I'd appreciate any suggestions/recommendations about rope type/brand, diameter, and length. I've seen good things about Samson double braid. I'm leaning towards 200' for a bit more separation. The 1/2" served well but I'm debating with myself whether benefits of 5/8" exceed the extra cost and weight.

If you've been to the GTGs at Bothe Park in Napa, you know the type of trees and terrain I'm dealing with at the Taylor Preserve. The pulling vehicle is usually a '46 Jeep that weighs about 2500 lbs or an even lighter Kubota RTV which is why I'm thinking 5/8" may be overkill.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

I use 1/2" Samson Stable Braid and 3/4" Samson SB. I would suggest looking at WesSpur site and also requesting a current catalog. I'm well aware of that beautiful Jeep you use to pull with. Anytime you pull with a vehicle you loose the ability to gauge tension in the rope so be very careful.

We also use 3/8" SB for small stuff it saves wear and tear on the expensive ropes. 10 years is a VERY long time for a bull rope to last. Remember that SB is a double braid rope and does not do well for natural crotch rigging. We also use 1/2" Samson Tree Master in those cases.

Bill, thanks for the info. WesSpur is currently at the top of my list. The rope is only used a few times a year, sometimes not at all, so I'm not surprised it lasted this long but it was definitely showing signs of wear.
Your comments have me leaning toward the 1/2". That size served well for a long time and the lighter weight is easier for us senior citizens (74, 80).

the samson stable braid is skookum, I use the 9/16-5/8? (depends who you ask) the yellow stuff lol. its not too bad to drag up a tree unless its wet then it gets pretty heavy. 200' is a good length, allows you to redirect and still be out of the way if needed, or base tie if you can't get around the top. I generally pull with a 12000# skidder with a 20000# winch, it rarely has trouble pulling trees over (uprooted a few too)

I have managed to break it once, but it shifted a Duramax, and a powersmoke (up hill, on gravel...) before it finally broke at a knot. (9500# winch with 3-1 block rigging) Trying to pull a broke off top that was 24" where it broke 40' but hung in big maple. No one had the stones to just cut the bastard and hope for the best... no where to run if it went bad.

1/2 will probably suit you just fine though.

the samson stable braid is skookum, I use the 9/16-5/8? (depends who you ask) the yellow stuff lol. its not too bad to drag up a tree unless its wet then it gets pretty heavy. 200' is a good length, allows you to redirect and still be out of the way if needed, or base tie if you can't get around the top. I generally pull with a 12000# skidder with a 20000# winch, it rarely has trouble pulling trees over (uprooted a few too)

I have managed to break it once, but it shifted a Duramax, and a powersmoke (up hill, on gravel...) before it finally broke at a knot. (9500# winch with 3-1 block rigging) Trying to pull a broke off top that was 24" where it broke 40' but hung in big maple. No one had the stones to just cut the bastard and hope for the best... no where to run if it went bad.

1/2 will probably suit you just fine though.
Yeah, you're using way more powerful/heavy equipment than I have, so all the more reason to stick with 1/2" - and another vote for Samson rope.
WesSpur shows the 9/16" as yellow and the 5/8" as red (and 1/2" as blue). I only just now realized the utility in using different colors for the various sizes - yet another senior moment.
Thanks!

Sirius Bull rope is good too. I've got the 9/16", it is easy to work with and very strong.

Its by TEUFELBERGER. Wesspur normally carries it too, but they may be low right now on stock.

Thanks for the helpful responses. I ordered 200' of the 1/2" Samson Stable Braid from WesSpur. Amazon had a better price but not better enough to risk getting a "forgery."
WeSpur is awesome.

I get most of my tree gear from the local saw shop, that just orders it from WesSpur, ends up being the same price though.
WesSpur is somewhat local to me, so anything I need to order is generally here next day anyway.

WeSpur is awesome.

I get most of my tree gear from the local saw shop, that just orders it from WesSpur, ends up being the same price though.
WesSpur is somewhat local to me, so anything I need to order is generally here next day anyway.
Yep, they are the best.

I have heard the term used in a few different situations, like the bull gear on a dozer final drive & a bull wheel on a winch pulley block

Latest posts

Back