Recommendations for getting these pines cut down in our back yard?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 188673

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just outside of Atlanta, Georgia in the USA. There are 12 pines that I would say easily exceed 75 feet, probably closer to 100 feet.

Sorry for the poor images (taken through a window screen) because it's cold and rainy outside. Just trying to give a general idea of the work area.

Back yard
Middle of trees
Top of trees

The tree on the front right is the largest, as seen in the top of the trees pic.

The one on the front left is missing most of it's branches all the way up to most of the top of it. A lot of the branches must have been on one side. Probably 3-4 years ago, we heard a loud crack one night and basically a huge branch from up top did a domino effect on the way down and I woke up to a pile of healthy pine branches probably 3.5 - 4 feet tall on the ground weighing hundreds of pounds. Lower down on the tree, I see a couple of streaks. Now, it had a streak on it for probably 10-15 years and seemed perfectly healthy. As of lately, it seems like another streak is on it and there are visible 'holes' of sorts forming in it. It has withstood 30+mph gusts of wind, however. I suspect that lightning may have hit it more recently, but there is greenery at the top of it. I just see what looks like holes forming in the strike marks themselves and would like to see about getting it down in the near future.
One of the trees (on the far back right) has dead vines on it (they're visible in line with the house on the right back) that stick out for probably 3-4 feet on all sides. Some type of vine...it's these long, squiggly tangled vines unfortunately left over from where they were cut at the base of the tree and died last year. They are likely somewhat loose and a few have fallen off, but not at a very fast rate. Not sure what to do about that because the now-dead vines probably go up a ways....60-75 feet on that particular tree. How would they even approach climbing a tree with those hitting them in the face? I suspect that if pulled on, they likely would come off easily in big clumps, though.

Ideally, I'd like to get all 12 cut down at once.

This is the front of the house:

On the right, you can see power lines going to our house. They're maybe 12' feet up and run to the corner of the house. The house to the right of that is vacant. Someone bought it last year and it just sits there. Our back yard is 130 feet long. Some kind of crane truck would obviously not fit on the left side of the house between our back porch and the fence separating our yard from the neighbor's. It would also tear our awning/porch railing off, I'm sure. That's an old, cracked up driveway that nobody uses and has been there for decades. There's a big dip towards the back that goes onto regular dirt, as well. I just don't see a truck driving through on the left.

So instead, for that 4-foot chain link fence on the right, I'm thinking that I could just sawzall the middle post to ground level and snip down the fence back to the other two posts and just put it up later. Hopefully they can get whatever trucks/equipment back there so as to not have to charge for doing something ridiculous like hand-rolling logs 150 feet to the front yard, for instance.

The house itself looks like it's just 'covered' in branches, but it's an illusion and most of those are over the back yard behind the house. I can probably safely trim some of them with a simple rope and rope chain saw with a little throw weight.

Just curious how the pros would handle this. I know that prices vary by region/state and also based on whether it's a large or small company, the company rates themselves, etc. Naturally, I'll seek a number of quotes on this before deciding. What is a 'reasonable' rate for this large job for dropping them and hauling it all away for the 12 trees?

I'd say it's a climbers job... take down & clean up 1 tree at a time starting with the one that has the most free space around it & working out from that.
I would be mindful that removing all the trees on your section will expose the neighbouring trees to windloads they have grown up being sheltered from. The neighbouring trees will also grow out to "fill the gap" making them more biased to falling in your direction in the future

I would be mindful that removing all the trees on your section will expose the neighbouring trees to windloads they have grown up being sheltered from. The neighbouring trees will also grow out to "fill the gap" making them more biased to falling in your direction in the future

Certainly. The vacant house to the right of us, they have some pines that are even further back than ours and a lot of them are smaller pines. Our house is at least one small percentage of the direction that one of them could fall. The house to the left of us is a rental house. They've had a number of trees fall in their yard - smaller whole pine trees that barely messed the fence and other yards when they fell. Their landlords don't care at all. I spoke with one of them when they first moved in and they must have been in an apartment before. They were just happy to have a big back yard (albeit, overgrown because the landlord take care of it) and when a big tree fell in their yard, he assured me that he would "get them out to take care of it" and he saw how awful their landlord was at that point. I frankly didn't care whether they cut it up or not, but there are quite a few fallen in their yard that have been there for years. The house behind us...they've had all of their big pines cut down completely, to my knowledge. I want ours finally cut down out of concern for of course our house and the neighbor's houses. Plus they drop so much pine straw back there that it is half of a foot thick or more in some places at any given time of the year.

I would say that having an arborist out to look at the work would be the best place to start. There are several that will give a free estimate, be aware that some will try to get you to "sign the quote" which will be a contract for the work. Unscrupulous yes, but it happens. Ask me how I know.

Tree company job with a crane and climbers.

I would love this. Seems to be the best route and probably most cost efficient without them breaking their backs trying to move a bunch of stuff. Any idea how tall those crane trucks are in general? I have been trying to figure out how they can safely get to the right side of the house to drive one back. I have considered that they could drive in and across the front yard from our driveway while watching the lines...or they could pop over the curb out by the street and try to drive more straight down in between the lines. The neighbor's lines run down the side of their driveway on the side of our yard and ours also run from the same pole over to the corner of our house. I'm hoping there's enough room for them to get such a crane truck back there. Trying to be as accommodating as possible to avoid the infamous 'PITA' charge that I have heard about regarding tree services/arborists when there is a tough job with a bad setup. I'm hoping that none of their trucks will crack the old sewer line under there...which is unfortunately running right down the center approximately where that center fence post is on the right and goes back for probably 50-75 feet and turns to the left. I want to say that part may be metal pipe, but I know for sure that the old pipe behind the house is old clay pipe because I had to dig some of that up before.

I suspect that it will be an all day job. Thought about having a cooler with a variety of sodas/Gatorade or something that they can pick what they want from. Maybe even a bit of snacks just because I know that people don't care about that stuff very much and I want to make that irritating job as comfortable as possible for them. The only thing is we have a dog that would have to stay in the house, so they wouldn't be able to come in for restroom access and such (plus two elderly people inside don't need contact with anyone who could potentially give them Covid, etc).

Attachments

• Lines2.jpg
    Lines2.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 1
  • Lines3.jpg
    Lines3.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 1
  • Lines4.jpg
    Lines4.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 1
  • Lines1.jpg
    Lines1.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 1
I would say that having an arborist out to look at the work would be the best place to start. There are several that will give a free estimate, be aware that some will try to get you to "sign the quote" which will be a contract for the work. Unscrupulous yes, but it happens. Ask me how I know.

I've been looking info getting some quotes in the near future. Of course I presume that most or all tree companies have an arborist(?). Is it better to get a full-on large tree company or smaller tree company? Or would it be the more equipment the merrier, as I suspect? I know for sure that I want insured/bonded and such, of course. Definitely not Jim Bob from down the block with his chipper who can "get 'er done" and drop a tree on my neighbor's house. I have had a few non-arborist people tell me that and yeah...that's not happening.

Most will have 85- 110 ft boom reach

Any idea how most trucks are from ground level to the top of the boom itself when it is lowered? My biggest concern is them snagging it on a power line trying to get through the side if I take the fence down. That's probably at most 12-14 feet high. I'm even more concerned about a loaded truck driving back out and doing something like cracking the sewer line out by the road in line with the power lines that they would need to weave in between.

If you can get a crane close enough you can get a chipper close enough, lot lighter footprint. You say yyour backyard is 130' deep?

Yep, if I measured from the back of the yard to the front of the house, it's probably more like 150' when counting the side area. 2-3 years ago, I ran 130' chain link fence from the back edge of the house all the way to the back of the yard to replace an old fence, so it's definitely about 130' for the actual back yard. It's about 60-70 feet wide. Once they clear the power lines and get through beside the house, they can drive wherever they want back there. I'm not one of those people who complains about "tearing up the lawn" and dumb stuff like that. Though it is probably considered dangerous and no tree service would likely do it that way, I have considered that I wouldn't even care if they cut big sections and just let it fall down as-is onto the ground under the trees as they cut them. I'm not concerned with dents and such in the ground, either. I suspect that they would consider that to be harder to control and possibly unsafe for those on the ground even from a distance, though.

At the end of the day beer :cheers:

I would consider that if there weren't going to be drivers taking probably 2 or more vehicles out to leave. lol I know what people are 'supposed' to know to do, but I'll probably avoid that one and stick to the Gatorade/sodas and snacks. Maybe I will call or send an email ahead of time and just ask them what the employees like once I have decided on a particular company after some quotes. I feel like so many people forget that they're human and instead just focus on only what they want the workers to do, so they never appreciate them.

Just seems like a shame to cut them down, I see minimal risk here

We get a lot of thunderstorms with high winds on a regular basis. It's scary at night hearing the wind blow and trying to sleep, wondering if one of those is going to make a crash through the house or onto another yard/house. A few years ago, a smaller pine tree that was alive and back towards the fence fell over during a storm. Fortunately, it didn't break the 6' chain link fence down in the back. Instead, while it looked 'healthy' on the outside with greenery typical of any pine tree, the inside of it had apparently rotted so badly that the top rail on the chain link fence broken it with barely any effort and not much denting. The insurance company was also equally puzzled as to how such a healthy tree was also rotted inside. Fortunately, it didn't hit the neighbor's house or destroy anything too expensive in their yard (shed, etc). It hit the top of the chain link fence and broke apart, destroying their somewhat cheap kiddie pool behind us (probably $300-$400). While our homeowners insurance did cover that and we just took pics on our side and their side and submitted it...I don't want any more 'oops' moments. Those neighbors have since moved away. During ice storms, I used to hear those branches snapping and popping. It's very unsettling. That largest pine closest to the house could probably kill every one of us in the house if it fell. It would flatten probably the entire house with how wide those branches are up top. It may very well be one of the strongest/oldest back there, but I'm just wary of having big pines near the house now. If they were 125 feet away from the house and no fences or neighbor's yards on the other side or behind us, I wouldn't care. Just isn't worth it to me to keep them around, though I do hate cutting anything natural down if I can help it.

Would ever leave a pine, that tall, around where it could hit a house. Rain a lot and the ground get soft and it doesn't take high winds much to make them uproot.

I know that the tree service is going to charge what they charge and most likely without a 'bulk' discount since those don't seem to exist, but that particular "big boy" pine in the front right is the one that I would expect to cost the most. It's every bit of 100 feet feet tall and perhaps even approaching 120. If I were to wrap a tape measure around it, it might very well be an estimated 96 to 120 inches around. I believe it may be Pinus Taeda/Loblolly Pine and that may very well be what all of them are. Big, beautiful tree...that scares the heck out of me since it is right in line with my bedroom, too. Oddly enough, both front trees are directly in line with each bedroom. So suffice it to say that none of us sleep well when it storms. lol We have had storm systems easily dump 3-4 inches of rain over a couple of days before. Our house is halfway down a street with a S-shaped drop of probably 75-100 feet or more over a length of 600-700 feet or so. The upper part is steeper, ours is in a little bit of a flatter area halfway down and then the bottom is also flat after another little drop and where most of the storm sewers are. However, we have had a rolling flash flood a few years back where every yard from the top of the hill down to the bottom had 4-6 inches of water just pouring everywhere because the ground was so saturated that there was nowhere for it to go. They were doing construction on a couple of houses up the street, so everywhere was just scary red water flooding the whole neighborhood and rushing downhill. Fortunately, they held up for that, but we do hear trees fall in the neighborhood sometimes when it's very wet.

I feel sorry for the poor people down the street on the corner who have this creek in their back yard and get all of our water rushing down during such floods. Took this driving by their yard one day. The creek usually has a few inches of water in it and is off to the left about 20-30 feet. I would have every one of those pines cut down if I was them. Our neighborhood used to have some sort of underground creek or stream or something under it, as well. I saw it on old maps and it just went poof and disappeared on newer maps, so not sure if they made an underground culvert for it or what. I just know that our sump pump in the basement goes absolutely crazy when it rains a lot and whatever used to flow around our neighborhood was somewhere around our house. So one more reason to not want those trees there. I have noticed that puddles in certain parts of the yard don't absorb very well. I suspect a bit of a higher water table at certain times of the year.

6.jpg

5.jpg

They did not think whatsoever when they designed our neighborhood 73 or so years ago. Even a lot of the buildings were pieced together however they could do it. They crapped out on a lot of building codes and nobody cared at that time. The inspector was not very bright, either.

Crane crews charge by the day or half day. An estimator will decide how to proceed. They will evaluate the condition of the trees. So not use chopmytree.com those punks are stealing work from good smaller outfits.

You are over thinking this one. Get the estimates, go with the Pro who gives you the most confidence, and let them at it. Yours is not to ask them how, only to ask them when. Dr. Rick commercials are spinning in my head right now.

You are over thinking this one. Get the estimates, go with the Pro who gives you the most confidence, and let them at it. Yours is not to ask them how, only to ask them when. Dr. Rick commercials are spinning in my head right now.

That's right up there with the Black Walnut video...

Back