Recommendations on 36in guide bar for 3120xp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shifty

Reaction score
I just bought a used 3120xp powerhead, and as I was looking online last night for a 36 inch bar (to fit my 36 inch Granberg), I was finding it kind of hard to decide which bar, and where to locate said bar for purchase.
1) any recommendations on a specific guide bar?
2) among the oregon guide bar types, which is the best for milling? (I will be probably milling mostly oak)
3) good online source of purchasing bars and chains?

Thanks, long-time lurker, this is my first post.

If you want to get the max from the 36” Granberg, you better get a 42” Bar

The “Listed Size” of a Mill, is the length of the frame rails, NOT the mill’s capacity (about 33.5” Maximum) or the length of bar to fit it

A 36” Granberg will measure about 33.5” between the inside faces of the bar clamps, you will want a little more clearance for milling, so about 32” is about the practical limit on a 36” mill

You will want about 6” more bar than the size of the mill. You can gain a little more bar length by removing the “Dawgs” (spikes) and drilling through the center of bar nose sprocket, and bolting the nose end, rather than clamping it

When clamping the nose end of the bar, keep in mind, the nose sprocket and bearings, don’t clamp too close and crush them

Doug

Will the 42" bar fit the 36" Granberg? I thought 36" bar was the max that would fit. I guess I need to measure things.
The “Listed Size “ of a mill, is the length of the frame rails, not the mill’s capacity, or the bar size needed for the mill

You typically need about 6” more bar, than the mill’s listed size, if you are trying to mill at or near a mill’s maximum capacity

The nose end of the bar, will have several inches beyond the bar clamp, because you don’t want to crush the nose sprocket or bearings, with the bar clamp

Doug

Latest posts

Back