Recommended Bar Size for Husky 372XP (non XTorq)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What Bar/Chain/Mill combo for a Husky 372XP

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Why .063 vs .050? Oil? Wouldn’t .063 tax the saw more?
Nope
My issue has always been chain brake operation. I’ve always had to back my other husky off 1/2” to allow the brake handle to move properly.
If it's a dedicated milling saw the chain brake is usually just a hindrance & can be removed
Interesting. I’ve not considered different bar sizes. All other things equal, is there a noticeable difference running a 32 vs a 28 on the same let’s say 18” log?
Yes, especially if your power head is marginal

Looks like 30” mill / 28” bar and 24” mill / 24” bar are leading. If those two choices stand, I’ll likely go with the 30/28 combo.

Here’s my thinking. My husky 450r will push a 20” ripping chain through an 18” log. Just barely but it’s manageable. That’s on my g777 mill wich is only supported at the powerhead and not at the nose sprocket. I’ve had logs that went right to the tip of the bar and like I said …. Manageable.

With a conventional mill that claps at both the powerhead side and nose sprocket side of the bar I lose 6” realistically. So, a 24” bar would bring me back to the husky 450r max width; just more power with the g372xp. And that is likely a sweet setup. But a 28” bar will pull me down to around 22-23” which I believe would still be more horses per inch of cut than the husky 450 @ 18”.

Thats my chain of thought a least (see what I did there) :)

Interesting. I’ve not considered different bar sizes. All other things equal, is there a noticeable difference running a 32 vs a 28 on the same let’s say 18” log?
I think perhaps the bar oiling capacity of the saw is most important to consider if you use an excessive bar.
Pulling a few inches of extra chain might do some to the acceleration perhaps but not a big struggle to pull for a 50cc or bigger saw. But once it is buried in wood of course thats a big difference.
Also the AV buffers are designed to handle a specific bar weight (I guess) but that might not be too critical when milling.

Get a 36" mill for when you get a larger saw. You won't have much luck over 28" bar in that saw and it will be hard on it. After trying it out with the 372 you will be looking for a 90cc saw.

I ran my 390xp through some oak when my 394xp was down for a new top end. 36" bar in the mill, cutting between 28-30" wide. I can't say it was over working the saw, but it would have been much faster using the 394xp. I wouldn't want to mill with a 70cc saw at all. Take the dogs off they are just in the way, just like the brake handle, although I leave that on myself as I use both saws for felling. The dogs are easier to take on and off.

Attachments

• RIMG0138.JPG
    RIMG0138.JPG
    374.2 KB · Views: 0
  • RIMG0142.JPG
    RIMG0142.JPG
    356.6 KB · Views: 0
  • RIMG0148.JPG
    RIMG0148.JPG
    356.5 KB · Views: 0
  • RIMG0150.JPG
    RIMG0150.JPG
    258.1 KB · Views: 1
  • RIMG0145.JPG
    RIMG0145.JPG
    352.7 KB · Views: 0
  • RIMG0284.JPG
    RIMG0284.JPG
    354.3 KB · Views: 0
Are you strapping your guide board to the log & moving the straps as you mill? How's that been working for you?
Exactly, that's the easy way, you got a more complicated and more time consuming way to do it?

Exactly, that's the easy way, you got a more complicated and more time consuming way to do it?
I do... but it works for me.
Will post a couple of pic's of mine when I get the chance to. Essentially it's aluminium extrusion with end caps that slide to match the length of the log & screw into the end of the log.
For logs longer than about 10' I have a 24' steel C beam I use.
I usually fix everything with tek screws, might have to do some experimenting with ratchet straps

I do... but it works for me.
Will post a couple of pic's of mine when I get the chance to. Essentially it's aluminium extrusion with end caps that slide to match the length of the log & screw into the end of the log.
For logs longer than about 10' I have a 24' steel C beam I use.
I usually fix everything with tek screws, might have to do some experimenting with ratchet straps
To me the milling is quick and dirty in hostile terrain, so I look for the quick and easy method.
If I want to make the timber in to furniture it will go through a planer and thicknesser anyway.

Back