recommended bike motor?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunnarfan

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Theres a bike shop right down the street from where I am and I am interested in putting together some saws. Any ideas what motors I should target that are ideal? I just don't want to go down there and not have a clue. What are the workhorses? What has better torque? Anything to avoid?

Corrupt me.

I've got a KX250 that Romeo built me. He runs a YZ250. They both make good bikesaws but I think the YZ might take the KX if everything else is equal.

Andy

Ive messed with Honda, KTM, Kawasaki, and Yamaha. I haven't built a Suzuki yet but I will probably end up trying one out eventually. They all build out pretty much the same with some slight differences.

I would recommend later model 2 strokes that were water cooled and have power valves. Stay away from the old finned motors, they just weren't made to spin up as high.

good to know about the water cooled. i saw a 76 yz250 that i was debating fooling with and was going to ask about. still taking suggestions on motors and was wondering about something else... are these saws being setup to run standard chains.. like .404 or 3/8 or are you getting into some of the harvester sizes for motors this big? asking as i was recently at rd faulkner's in brewer maine and saw a few bars for harvesters that i liked the looks of. i also have a NOS windsor harvester bar that isn't used much either due to the mount pattern or the lack of replacement tip.. i forget which.. but its handy.

great help guys.

ok.. found the suggestions for race chains. found a junker water cooled suzuki bike to frig with.. will see what happens

is there a section that has race saw requirments etc etc?

It would be nice if you could find a setup for 1/2" chain. I just run .404/.063 ga. on a harvestor bar right now. If you're building a 250cc, that's about as light a chain as you want to use. If you're building a 125cc you can use 3/8 chain.

Saw requirements are different from show to show. I understand that a lot of shows in the south east don't allow bike saws at all.
Here in the southwest most shows just say that the competitor has to be able to carry the saw to the log by himself.:laugh:
General requirements would be: single cylinder, pull start, and probably should have some kind of chain catcher on it to keep from loosing the chain in the croud, if it doesn't explode.

Andy

i've got a windsor harvester bar to mess with at the moment. will have to go to rd faulkners and see about available sprockets that will match up somewhat.

The 2-Stroke HP king of this era is the KTM 250 two strokes.
The best all around was the Yamaha YZ followed closely by the Suzuki RM from 2005 on.

I have to believe if RPM and Raw power is the game the KTM has to be concidered.

KTM 125 early 90s model

I have an opportunity to buy a non-running 1993 KTM for $100. It needs carb rebuilt and gasket set. It was a racer and has had a lot of extras put into it. This is the complete bike too. What do ya think?

Trever

The 2-Stroke HP king of this era is the KTM 250 two strokes.
The best all around was the Yamaha YZ followed closely by the Suzuki RM from 2005 on.

I have to believe if RPM and Raw power is the game the KTM has to be concidered.

What era are you talking about? Throughout the 90's KTM made power on the dyno but didn't have it on the track. Somewhere around 2000 and up they got it all together but by then the big four had lost interest in two strokes.

My favorite if you could find on would be the '96 CR250! FAST AS #### on the track. Not sure how that would that would translate to a log.

Yep.. I think I'll get the 125 KTM. This will be my first build. I have alot of learning to do before I get into it, as I have only worked on stock saws.

'93 KTM 125cc SX

Well, I got it. Here are some pics. Any and all advise is greatly appreciated.

Couple of more pics

Here is the PNL ignition. Needs cleaned and has seen some moisture. No problem though.

You could take that motor break it down, clean up all the parts and sell them individually on epay. Then take that $ and buy a CR, RM or YZ motor that is already set up for right side drive. Also, there are more options for parts in the 250cc range than the 125cc range. Also cross breading between brands can gain you power options.

I've got an RM 125 in the final stretch of the build on another site.

Right hand side motors

I will research the price on these motors and junked bikes. I gave $100 for this one that has a new Wiesco piston in it. I am not sure yet how much the 250cc motors and other 125cc motors bring. I will try to look for junked bikes. Anything that I should pay particular attention to, other than making sure I get a right sided motor?

Back