Red maple dropping leaves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have a Japanese red maple that gets some morning sun and some later afternoon but it sits underneath some pine trees. Its my understanding that the Japanese red maple is not a full sun tree and some leaf scorch can happen if it is in full sun and has had no significant rain certainly wouldn't help it. I dont know what variety yours is but the leaves do look similar to a JRM tree...maybe it's just been too sunny, too little rain for this early in the spring. That's my guess

A slow deep watering once a week may help it until you see rain, it wont hurt it any.

Seems to me when a tree starts acting sickly about the only thing that helps is Pray for the tree.

If it's dying it's a goner.

Lack of water will make them shed leaves but if it loses all leaves it has severe cancer, usually stage 4. root death.

I don’t use anything on the lawn just a mulching blade on the mower . It gets natural fertilizers deer poop
Hey Mark, we've been drier than usual here. I tried to look up how much over or under your area was for rainfall this year. The closest I could find showed up a couple inches in Jan, down a couple inches in Feb etc. I assumed it was over/under based on avg but the map I looked at didn't show where in NY it was....so useless.
It sure does look like leaf scorch around the edges however the spots in the middle of the leaves is something else. If its been warmer up there then normal, I wonder if some type of insect has been unleashed sooner than usual and the typical predator for that insect is not around yet.
Watering once a week will be good for now. If leaves continue to drop dont over water it...since less leaves.

Latest posts

Back