Redback 18", 120V Lithium, Cordless (Battery) Chainsaw - company out of business? Replacement parts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwatkin

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I found a review of this saw here and bought TWO of them when they went on sale for $99! Then I noticed several other pieces of equipment were on sale and meant to buy a couple but they sold out before I got around to it. https://redbackpowerusa.com/product/electric-chainsaw/

I have been very pleased with the Redback saw overall and it has far exceeded my expectations. I also own a Milwaukee M18 saw and feel the overall quality and ergonomics are better on that saw but this one is far more powerful and better for cutting larger trees. I am having a few issues and have been unable to contact the company for spare parts. I am thinking they are out of business as everything is out of stock.

The other saw is still in the box it came in. I really should get it out and start using that battery as well. I will probably get it in service soon if I can't find parts. I am needing a bar for sure. The original bar is about done for. The chain got pulled over the nose of the bar and the torque of the electric motor ate a groove in the bar, causing the chain to come off easily. I created a workaround by turning the bar over and only using it on that side but then the same thing happened so there is now no advantage to having the bar any which way. I would like to find an aftermarket bar for this saw. What standard bar will fit and take the same chain specs?

Then comes the sprocket. Mine is fine for now but I figure this may be the wear item that kills this saw if I can't replace it. The chain brake cracked off but I fixed it with JB Weld and it is holding for now. I would like a factory one but can't find that either.

I really like this say and feel it is worth well more than the $99 it cost me. I have a spare in reserve but would like to keep these running as long as possible. Also, are there any other higher voltage units that compete with this one if I can't find parts? I love my Milwaukee but it overloads easier being only 18V. It seems these electric brushless tools are evolving fast and something better will be along soon if it doesn't already exist.

Thanks,

Conor

Redback is owned by Frictionless World, see the very bottom of their website.

1592885576684.png

Frictionless World filed for bankruptcy in 2019 and is still in bankruptcy court. Latest activity was today.

https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/case/30284836/Frictionless_World,_LLC
You should be able to make another bar fit and someone here can likely make another sprocket work. I wouldn't put money on getting much response from Redback, or any parts............

Look at the bar for some numbers that may indicate the bar mount style. Sprocket...no idea. Looks like the company never offered any replacement parts

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

That is what I figured. I am not surprised by the bankruptcy based on my lack of response and the out of stocks but these seemed like decent tools for the money. For what I paid I won't be upset if they end up being disposable due to lack of parts.

I figure the bar will not be a big issue and will be the easiest part to replace. There are numbers on it and I will post them here tomorrow if I can't find a match myself. I am heading to bed now and I am done with this project for the night.

The chain brake will likely be another issue but I cleaned it up and slathered JB weld around the break and am hopeful it will hold for the long-term.

Has anyone else had dealings with any of the other electric chainsaws in the 80V or larger range? I know new models are coming out all the time. I have been liking my Milwaukee as well and I see they have an MX series of tools for larger jobs but no chainsaw yet. This certainly won't be $99 when it comes out!

Conor

I have the 80v Kobalt saw. Zero complaints. Handles 100% of my homeowner around the house needs, and a lot more of my firewood needs than I expected it to. If I lost all my saws in a tragic boating accident, I'd go replace the Kobalt tomorrow, and the Stihls whenever I got around to it.

I have the 80v Kobalt saw. Zero complaints. Handles 100% of my homeowner around the house needs, and a lot more of my firewood needs than I expected it to. If I lost all my saws in a tragic boating accident, I'd go replace the Kobalt tomorrow, and the Stihls whenever I got around to it.

That is funny how you put that! I am EXACTLY the same way. The electric saws have done a lot more firewood duty than I ever expected and I would replace them immediately and the Stihls when I got around to it as well.

I see they still have an electric blower and hedge trimmer at Redback. For $99 I might get one to have another battery. I already have a Milwaukee blower so wouldn't need the blower. It would just be for the battery. Anyway, maybe I should just run the two saws I have into the ground and something much better will be around next.

I think KObalt is made by Greenworks and those are good products. Someone told me they are basically the same thing in a different color. This was about the mower as I recall but am guessing everything is made by them.

I did read a couple reviews and it looks like the SunJoe is also a good product. I really wish Milwaukee would release an MX chainsaw though.

Conor

Yep, Kobalt is badge engineered Greenworks. I have the mower, blower, and string trimmer too. It's not pro equipment by any means, but for my homeowner needs, you couldn't give me gas equipment.

I think you're right about the Redback saws. By the time you need new ones, something better will be around.

I did go ahead and order another Redback product for $99 just to get another battery. The only two things left were a hedge trimmer and a blower. I would have rather had the string trimmer but waited around too long and the blower might be a god one to have as an extra. I have an M18 Milwaukee one it is great for little basic stuff. This isn't a backpack but certainly not a wimp either. I expect this blower to have a little more power. I would have rather bought two batteries with no charger or tool for $99 but this was the option I was given so went with it.

I figure that having an extra battery will make this saw more useful and I have another saw new in the box, unopened except to get the other battery out. I would hate to wear out two batteries on the first saw and then have a saw that was never used without a battery. These use Samsung cells so aren't cheaply made and I hope they last for a while. I am not sure what cells are in my Milwaukee batteries but they seem better than some other power tools I have used.

The retainer clip and washer flew off the shaft for the drive sprocket once. The local farm store fitted it with the retainer and washer from a Sthil MS-170 saw which fixed my issues for just a couple bucks total. It looks like my Milwaukee saw as well as the Dewalt saws use a similar sprocket for the same chain pitch, etc. They both have a similar system of keying to the shaft with two flats machined into the round shaft so they may or may not fit. I have an extra for my Milwaukee so will look into that as the first option. I suspect these are pretty similar for most electric chainsaws so am guessing I will find a fit somewhere.

I agree that these aren't quite pro-grade tools yet but have been impressed with how well they have done under hard use at my farm. They have put up with hours of continuous use. My days of cutting large trees for days on end are probably over for the time being. I will go back to a big boy gas saw if that is needed but these electrics are sure nice. For $99, I see what I have as a disposable. It will go down the river with me soon on an overnight camping and float trip in dry storage. If it gets lost or destroyed, I will be more upset that I can't replace it, not that I lost $99.

I am really hoping Milwaukee comes out with something in the MX line.

Conor

They sent one to me for testing.

Decent saw for doing stuff like cutting indoors, framing work, etc.
I built 2 retaining walls with RR ties and used it for that. Was nice to not have to keep starting a saw for 30 seconds of run time.

For tree work, I found it ok, though the chain speed is rather slow.

BUT, it no longer charges.

Still on the orginal chain, I'd guess charged it maybe 5-6 times.

Now the charger shows it's charged, but it's not.

I found a review of this saw here and bought TWO of them when they went on sale for $99! Then I noticed several other pieces of equipment were on sale and meant to buy a couple but they sold out before I got around to it. https://redbackpowerusa.com/product/electric-chainsaw/

I have been very pleased with the Redback saw overall and it has far exceeded my expectations. I also own a Milwaukee M18 saw and feel the overall quality and ergonomics are better on that saw but this one is far more powerful and better for cutting larger trees. I am having a few issues and have been unable to contact the company for spare parts. I am thinking they are out of business as everything is out of stock.

The other saw is still in the box it came in. I really should get it out and start using that battery as well. I will probably get it in service soon if I can't find parts. I am needing a bar for sure. The original bar is about done for. The chain got pulled over the nose of the bar and the torque of the electric motor ate a groove in the bar, causing the chain to come off easily. I created a workaround by turning the bar over and only using it on that side but then the same thing happened so there is now no advantage to having the bar any which way. I would like to find an aftermarket bar for this saw. What standard bar will fit and take the same chain specs?

Then comes the sprocket. Mine is fine for now but I figure this may be the wear item that kills this saw if I can't replace it. The chain brake cracked off but I fixed it with JB Weld and it is holding for now. I would like a factory one but can't find that either.

I really like this say and feel it is worth well more than the $99 it cost me. I have a spare in reserve but would like to keep these running as long as possible. Also, are there any other higher voltage units that compete with this one if I can't find parts? I love my Milwaukee but it overloads easier being only 18V. It seems these electric brushless tools are evolving fast and something better will be along soon if it doesn't already exist.

Thanks,

Conor
Any updates?

Battery went bad after maybe 5 or 6 charges, we threw it out. New battery was more than it was worth.

Back