Remington Chainsaws(including Mall chainsaws)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked this up today which I believe is an Remington SL-55 clone, but don't know too much about Remingtons.

Attachments

• 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 11
  • SL-552.jpg
    SL-552.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
I picked up a super 660 recently off Facebook. Too good of a deal to pass up. Tore the saw down and found out it had one broken piston ring. Is there any availability of parts on these saws? Otherwise it’ll look cool on the wall, but I would love to get it back running. Thanks.
There's a guy in N.M. (I believe) who custom makes rings for whatever project you have.I'll get his info from another forum.I think he charges around $10.He needs something to go by though,so if you still have a good ring,or even the broken one it should help.

That sounds great. I still have the broken top ring and the lower two rings for reference. I would greatly appreciate his info. It’s the only thing I can see that is stopping this saw from running properly. Thanks for any help you can be.

You can also get generic rings from DLA engine parts on ebay, better known as 'the greek'. Just search by dimensions, bore and ring thickness. I get them all the time and just file them to fit whatever i'm working on.

Unfortunately it’s the top one that’s broken. Appears to have been run broken for a while (based on wear) but the bore still looks good and unmarked. I guess I could move em around and see if it’ll run on two. I shot rmj machine worx a message to see if they had worked with one before. I’ll let you guys know what they say. Thanks for all the good info. Keep it coming if you got anymore. I have worked on quite a few motors, although this is my first saw motor. Thanks again!

I got another Remy PL5 today.I pretty much got screwed on that saw,but only paid $26 for it.The recoil spring is broken,so I put the recoil on from my other PL5.I gave it a prime twice & it fired up both times,then it quit.I checked for spark & it has good blue spark.I took a compression test & it only has 60 psi.If the saw was that low to start with it woulda never fired the 1st time.Something's not right.I'd put rings in it,but there are none available.I might have to go to the place I recommended to someone else here for rings.

I got another Remy PL5 today.I pretty much got screwed on that saw,but only paid $26 for it.The recoil spring is broken,so I put the recoil on from my other PL5.I gave it a prime twice & it fired up both times,then it quit.I checked for spark & it has good blue spark.I took a compression test & it only has 60 psi.If the saw was that low to start with it woulda never fired the 1st time.Something's not right.I'd put rings in it,but there are none available.I might have to go to the place I recommended to someone else here for rings.
He told me the rings for my saw would be around 30 a piece. Just an FYI. Very easy to work with so far.

Ain't that kinda pricey?If you have 3 rings that's $90.I sent him an email about my rings,waiting to hear back.
It’s not pricey if that’s the only way to get it running. Matter of perspective I guess. His price was based on piston size and on notches or Bevel on the rings. I have certainly paid more for a set of rings from a certain tractor company who paints their stuff green. Of course those were a bit bigger than these. Should’ve been painted gold! He told me he’s been pretty busy so it might take him a few days to get back to you. I had almost given up on him when I got an email back. In fairness I have never had rings made for an engine before so i have little to compare it to.

It’s not pricey if that’s the only way to get it running. Matter of perspective I guess. His price was based on piston size and on notches or Bevel on the rings. I have certainly paid more for a set of rings from a certain tractor company who paints their stuff green. Of course those were a bit bigger than these. Should’ve been painted gold! He told me he’s been pretty busy so it might take him a few days to get back to you. I had almost given up on him when I got an email back. In fairness I have never had rings made for an engine before so i have little to compare it to.
Actually, in fairness to the green tractor company, that was for a set of rings for a three cylinder engine, so maybe kinda pricey.

Actually, in fairness to the green tractor company, that was for a set of rings for a three cylinder engine, so maybe kinda pricey.
You're right about the perspective thing.Guys like us like to keep the older saws & other things running & other folks who don't have the same interest as we do think we're crazy for spending our money like we do.People ask me why I still keep on buying saws when I have over 300.I tell them I didn't have that last model I just bought & also it's my hobby to work on saws & get them running again.I also tell them it's none of their business what I do for fun.Lol

Latest posts

Back