Remington Chainsaws(including Mall chainsaws)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last week I tore down my latest PL5 that only had 60 psi & now I understand why.The piston may be able to be saved,but the cylinder is scored badly on the upper portion.I did manage to get a set of rings for it from on Feebay.

Today I tore down the original PL5 I got back in Feb.The piston is trash,but there are 2 very small gouges on the exhaust port of the cylinder.I may be able to save it by using some emery cloth on it.I have a new bored over cylinder for this saw with a matching piston & rings.I was successful in pulling the piston out of this saw.This will be my fiorst piston replacement (ever).What do you fellas recommend for a lube to hold the conn rod bearings in place?Right now they're a bit dry & I have the wrist pin holding them in place.Here's a pic of the piston & broken ring.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 5
Does anyone know what crank seals are used in the PL5? I don't need the Remington part #,I need an aftermarket seal mfr.or seal#..Is there a Homelite seal that'll work?

XL-12/SXL seals should fit. SKF 6119's (double lip) or 6120's (single lip) would be your aftermarket numbers for manual oiler saws with the oil fill below the muffler. I believe there are also National and Poulan numbers that apply.

The corresponding Homelite numbers would be 58688A (older number) or 12282A (newer number), though I don't know if they are single or double lip seals.

I've seen a third Homelite number for the PTO side on auto-oiler drive cases with the oil fill on top, but no aftermarket equivalent.

Someone else may be able to shed additional light or correct me if I'm wrong about any of the above..

XL-12/SXL seals should fit. SKF 6119's (double lip) or 6120's (single lip) would be your aftermarket numbers for manual oiler saws with the oil fill below the muffler. I believe there are also National and Poulan numbers that apply.

The corresponding Homelite numbers would be 58688A (older number) or 12282A (newer number), though I don't know if they are single or double lip seals.

I've seen a third Homelite number for the PTO side on auto-oiler drive cases with the oil fill on top, but no aftermarket equivalent.

Someone else may be able to shed additional light or correct me if I'm wrong about any of the above..
Not to get off topic, but do those fit both side of the XL-12 and its siblings?

Thanks Poge,much appreciated! I was able to do a little research earlier today & found the PL4,PL5,SL4,SL10,& SL11 all take the same seal on both sides.I was kinda leaning towards the SXL as being the go to saw for a replacement seal as the PL4 & SL4 are basically Homelite clones of the SXL.
I got a little lucky today & found a pair of seals on Feebay for $5 ea.There's another seller there who thinks he has gold seals & wants $20 ea.,he can keep them for that price.

It's been quite a while since posting here.I was able to clean up the piston from the 2nd PL5 & use that in the orioginal PL%.I got a new cylinder for $85 on Feebay & have had that sitting here for 2 weeks.The other day I grew a pair & started putting the PL5 back together.I don't know what I did wrong but when I pull the saw over I can hear a GIANT air leak.I sprayed down the cylinder gasket & see no bubbles at all.I didn't have this air leak before I tore the saw down.I did a compression test today & have 0 compression.Do the rings need to go on a certain way?I put the piston on the conn rod with the locating pins facing the exhaust just the way it was when I tore it down.Maybe the piston was in wrong from someone else.

Looks like this thread has been quiet for a minute. I'll revive it for a short bit with a couple old Mall saws I picked up recently. Picked up an old Model 6 and a 2MG from a fella in my area. He had several old saws in his barn but I had only enough dinero to afford these two for now. Both are complete and albeit a little dirty could be worse. The 2MG turns over and the motor is in great shape! The model 6 is stuck but I don't think it will take much to free it up. It has the old scratcher chain on it which is still sharp. The info I got from Mike Acres site says the model 6 was manufactured in 1945. I'm hoping to get both of these cleaned up and put up on display soon. Might even get one of em in running condition. Anyone else have one of these things running? I'm curious as to how this scratcher chain will do.
3021cefbc07e140ca3555a3d7b738809.jpg
0971ae1fac98aa6c7acf2d3417abf0ad.jpg
4c94f61f9f8b343b7ddf9acec7fb43f8.jpg
26015898752b88e0fd8c270aa795adc5.jpg

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Hi guys,
Recently bought this Remington super 880 and got it running, and man is it a sweet saw, but I was curious how you are supposed to clean up delrin. As you can see its pretty faded looking.View attachment 665486 View attachment 665487 View attachment 665485
Hey SawTurner
I literally bought the same saw yesterday, the delrin looks in a similar state too. From what I can see, gentle washing with dishwashing liquid and water seems to do the trick. How did you go with cleaning it up? I'm also struggling to find much info On these, apparently there's a gear drive and a direct drive? As I haven't pulled the saw apart yet (time poor), can you tell from the outside or the badge?

Back