Remington Chainsaws(including Mall chainsaws)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I added this super 754 manual to my collection and I see they are showing a different recoil assembly??? I have never seen one with this recoil assembly before. I have this particular one on my super 660's. Also does anyone have a spare recoil like the one pictured for sale? Thanks IMG_20230701_071936616.jpg

That is a Fairbanks-Morse recoil. I figured the later model Bamtams used it but there is no real rhyme or reason to it. I've seen models with both styles. My 82cc 770s have Remington starters, my 89cc 770 has the FM. The early Super 75 uses a right hand FM recoil.

If you need an FM recoil, any 754 has it. That seems a consistent fact, 754s use that starter.

Remember, the flywheels have to match the cover and I think the crankshafts are different as well.

That is a Fairbanks-Morse recoil. I figured the later model Bamtams used it but there is no real rhyme or reason to it. I've seen models with both styles. My 82cc 770s have Remington starters, my 89cc 770 has the FM. The early Super 75 uses a right hand FM recoil.

If you need an FM recoil, any 754 has it. That seems a consistent fact, 754s use that starter.

Remember, the flywheels have to match the cover and I think the crankshafts are different as well.
Yup thanks cb I have switched flywheels and recoils before when needed. Your right about the timeline on things, plus any literature or information is hard to come by. Thanks again and hope you have a great holiday weekend take care cb

I brought the PL4 Agway Special up from the back barn to put the recoil back on it that I'd borrowed a couple weeks ago to put on an SL4.I tried starting the saw & it wouldn't start.I pulled the plug & it was wet,so it wasn't firing under compression.I put a new plug in it & it fired right up.
I also noticed the muffler wasn't quite right,so pulled that off & found the upper boss for the muffler stud to be stripped out.Normally I'd put a helicoil in,but didn't know if I had the right size,so I mixed up some JB Weld & put that in the boss.Then I put the muffler back on & it seems to be holding up just fine.The last thing I did was put a felling spike on the saw from a parts SL4.
I'm reading quite a few of your older posts in this thread as I am a collector of Remington saws, very very impressive edju1958. Lots of help and knowledge. Thanks! Now if only I can get this dang pl55a wards saw to oil 😂

That pl55a is kinda weird it has the chassis of the 59/65cc saws but the cylinder and rear handle of a PL7A :dizzy: good thing is I have a working sl4a/JD version so I can swap the check valves coming out of the bar oil tank. The one check valve I did remove was missing the filter on the end of the short piece of hose. I have nos ones so 🤞

Yea that's the direction I'm heading, but need to pull the flywheel for one of them. The one I could take off worked with compressed air. It's the one that is coming off the cylinder that I'm guessing is the issue?
If your going to collect Remington's of that style, you need to get used to dealing with those ball and spring check valves as well as the rubber duckbill check valves.

Latest posts

Back