Remote control tree removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerasimek

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
20150209_124508.jpg 1172.jpeg 20150209_124538.jpg 20150210_114538.jpg I want to introduce a combination of equipment that I put together that I know will change the way tree business is conducted in the US. I know it will because I have been using it with great success. I'm not a salesman or inventor. I just saw the potential of this equipment in a specific design and made it happen. I believe, 15 years from now, every tree service that doesn't have one will be working with those that do. I believe it's time to raise the bar here in the US and make tree removal safer and more professional. I know there are guys out there like me. I like equipment, innovation, working with trees, and making money.
This is a Tree-mek. I started with a Mack cabover because I wanted it to be short and as maneuverable as possible. Next came the Palfinger PK33 with 95' of reach up and 84' out (6 extensions + 3 on the jib). The icing on the cake and what the whole thing is designed around is the Mecanil SG220 grapple saw. Put it all together and you have fully mechanized, remote control tree removal. A Tree-mek.
I have a Facebook page you can check out as well. Let me know what you think.
Glenn Gerasimek
Gerasimek Tree & Stump Removal, Inc.

View attachment 403318 View attachment 403328 View attachment 403339 View attachment 403340 I want to introduce a combination of equipment that I put together that I know will change the way tree business is conducted in the US. I know it will because I have been using it with great success. I'm not a salesman or inventor. I just saw the potential of this equipment in a specific design and made it happen. I believe, 15 years from now, every tree service that doesn't have one will be working with those that do. I believe it's time to raise the bar here in the US and make tree removal safer and more professional. I know there are guys out there like me. I like equipment, innovation, working with trees, and making money.
This is a Tree-mek. I started with a Mack cabover because I wanted it to be short and as maneuverable as possible. Next came the Palfinger PK33 with 95' of reach up and 84' out (6 extensions + 3 on the jib). The icing on the cake and what the whole thing is designed around is the Mecanil SG220 grapple saw. Put it all together and you have fully mechanized, remote control tree removal. A Tree-mek.
I have a Facebook page you can check out as well. Let me know what you think.
Glenn Gerasimek
Gerasimek Tree & Stump Removal, Inc.
Is it insulated from power line contact?

No. I let the line clearance crews do the trees that are into the wires. I've done trees growing high above wires and leaning towards wires, but I always keep my distance.

The grapple saw will cost you around $26,000. The crane/truck depends on if you go new or not. Whether you ever acquire one depends on your math skills, work load, and if you dislike babysitting grown men (employees).
I'm not a big business. I used to have 3 employees at the most. I don't live near a big city. I just figured it was a smart investment and I was right. I now have 1 employee, I'm not tired after work, and I'm making more money.

Very nice machine. I really like the cab over. How easy is it to let go of a piece in the event you bite off more than you can chew? And what is that red thing fastened to the front of the flat bed?

In the event that you were so greedy and impatient as to cut off a piece that was too big, you could simply open the grapple and let it go.
I've done some trees that were growing in an area where I could just grab, cut, and let go ,not having to worry about how they fell.
Most often I grab, cut, and set the piece either on the deck of the chipper (if it's a limb) or right into a truck bed (if it's a chunk of wood. I even feed the chipper with it. No ropes, no dragging limbs, no mini loader or machine to move logs, no dents in the yard, and the only area that needs raked up is where you're chipping. You can't imagine the time saved. It's why I have only 1 guy, that used to be my employee, cleaning up. I subcontract his little business and I don't have to pay workman's comp. All he owns is a truck, chipper, and a rake.
The thing on the bed is a man basket. It stows in a custom made bracket (which I can remove from the bed if I need space to haul anything up to 14'). I sold my 75' elevator so I needed to have some means of getting myself up for certain situations that the grapplesaw doesn't like (pruning and thick bushy trees like pines). Every piece of equipment has limitations but the grapplesaw has only a couple and having the basket covers them. I seldom use the basket.
Those were good questions.

That is a great looking innovation! I really don't play in the removal game because I focus on pruning and pest management...but when Emerald Ash Borer tore through, I thought to myself many times "if I do this, I am going to do it more efficiently than anybody else....but what would that look like". I think you answered that question in many (but certainly not all) circumstances.

You said in 15 years all tree services will have one. Obviously that is hyperbole. There are firms that will never want to chase the removal market (I go back and forth in my own mind). There are others who will specialize in getting to places where that can't. There will always be the guys with a ladder, chainsaw and chuck-n-duck. But I could see that catching on.

I know you said your are not a salesman or an inventor. You, are an innovator. You should not be afraid to capitalize on that. Sure, you bought 3 existing pieces of equipment and put them together...anybody can do that. Has anybody else done that? It may be worth seeing if you can work with a small equipment company to help them put these packages together. Even if you only made 5-10% off of each one sold, that would be a nice income!

Thanks for sharing!

ATH,
Thanks for the compliment. I really do appreciate it.
I agree, there will always be what we have now, but having a tree-mek to put trees on the ground can make any little guy a contender. A guy that doesn't climb or own a bucket can team up with a tree-mek and make good money without risk. It's a no-brainer.
I have businesses already calling me lining up removals for this Spring.
As far as compensation for talking about it goes, that's not a bad idea . Honestly, I'm making so much more money now and doing almost no labor. I'm very happy I will retire comfortably without lingering or debilitating injuries.

It has an 18" bar. You start grabbing limbs and working your way down.
I'll tell you, there are few jobs I don't use it on. Dead trees, tall trees, trees over houses and pools, trees behind the house (reach right over),trees too rotten to climb,trees you can't get a bucket close enough to, trees with tons of poison ivy, trees with bees, trees in a pool, trees in a pond, trees with decks built around them,etc. It's just mind blowing. All from the ground. The only thing sore at the end of the day is my neck from looking up. (I'll probably do some strength & stretching exercises for that.)
I'm pretty much snowed in right now, but when I get back out I'll make a movie and post it on YouTube and put the link on here.

Yes, that is my crane.
Those videos are from Finland. When I saw those I started crunching numbers and making phone calls. If they can do it in Europe, then why not here?

A feller buncher definitely costs less.
A tree-mek definitely makes less impact and does more work. On many jobs no piece of equipment or tree ever touches the lawn.

. Mine did. It would be foolish, in my opinion, to get one without a/c. I couldn't imagine, with all the driving I do from one job to the next and all the trips to the bank, not having it.
Not everyone is going to get one. Like ATH said earlier, "There's always going to be guys with a ladder, a chainsaw, and a chuck-n-duck".:yes:

Back