Removing big stump

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArtB

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Houses to close and don't have explosives license anymore. Biggest machines are a JD 450 or Ford 4500.
Trying to remove a 1000+ YO DF stump cut in 1905. Was probably at least a 6 ft DBH tree.
Have dug 6 ft deep all around, cut a number of > 15 " diameter roots, and tried pulling 140,000# on 16X set of blocks still does not even budge it. (other end tied to an even bigger stump)
Guess I need to dig deeper.

Just wondered if anyone else has removed this size stump without a huge excavator.

I know, should have rented a small stump grinder eh?

I feel like it’s relatively common to have a big old stump like that still around. But I would think there would be some rot at least? Anyway you can burn it? If it’s been dead that long maybe it can burn out decent. Be a different story if it was freshly cut.

Zero rot on the roots of 100+ YO cut stump DF. The area I'm in has no burning laws (Seattle suburban area)
Had a couple of near the same size hemlock stumps, they busted up real nice after 70 years. Have been here 50 years, 50 years ago the hemlock was relatively firm yet also,
Have seen big 50 ton excavators pry one of these old DF right out of the ground with bucket rotated under one side, but my biggest hoe is 5 ton.
I cut one of the similar stumps off 4 ft below the springboard notches - there was over a foot plus of rot on the outside, the middle 550 years of growth rings were still solid wood, could still count another 100 or so outboard that was only starting to rot. .
One development 2 miles from me that was only 3 acres had a D10 on site for a week.

That close to the house I would use a stump grinder service...when they finish you can mow over it,
Hob big a grinder for stump over 4 ft diameter and 6 feet high - how long would that take?
Since I already have a 5-6 ft deep hole around it, maybe go at it from all sides (after hosing it down)with 30" saw and cut off below ground - did that with other, but might want to build another house in this spot someday.

can you pressure wash off parts of the stump that are exposed then start using a chainsaw to start cutting chunks out and perform a couple deep cuts across it to attempt a partial removal of section then use the equipment to remove them.

Drill a bout 50 1" holes and try to plung cut a good 1 foot square foot. The top down . Remove that core and try to connect a few plumage cuts from the side to make a air flow. First pour deisiel in the center and then full and tamp wit match light charcoal light it up and watch that will burn for t days like a cigarette .I did it on a 112 year old oak that wS on a hill I couldn't get a grinder in

Drill a bout 50 1" holes and try to plung cut a good 1 foot square foot. The top down . Remove that core and try to connect a few plumage cuts from the side to make a air flow. First pour deisiel in the center and then full and tamp wit match light charcoal light it up and watch that will burn for t days like a cigarette .I did it on a 112 year old oak that wS on a hill I couldn't get a grinder in
Think the fine here for burning a stump is in the $1000 range. Am inside and 'urban growth' area, no burning ever except 'recreation'.
My neighbor does burn branches, but the only way it is legal here is to be < 3 ft diameter and sit over it with a hot dog on a stick !

Hob big a grinder for stump over 4 ft diameter and 6 feet high - how long would that take?
Since I already have a 5-6 ft deep hole around it, maybe go at it from all sides (after hosing it down)with 30" saw and cut off below ground - did that with other, but might want to build another house in this spot someday.
after taking the trunk down to ground level, any grinder will work. The bigger ones will get it done faster than a small one but remember, how do you eat an entire elephant? One bite at a time.

It'll take time but it'll get done.

I'd be inclined to get it bellow ground level, drill a bunch of plugs down in it and cover it up. Let nature take its course. I've ground a few large stumps with smaller grinders, takes forever, but not unbearable to do. If you know what I mean.

Think the fine here for burning a stump is in the $1000 range. Am inside and 'urban growth' area, no burning ever except 'recreation'.
My neighbor does burn branches, but the only way it is legal here is to be < 3 ft diameter and sit over it with a hot dog on a stick !
Consider buying an Alpine Magnum stump grinder. You add the Chainsaw to it. It is more portable than any other make. I grind with a Husqvarna SG-13 walk-behind grinder that weighs 250 lbs. I also have a Beeline self-propelled that's out of service until I rebuild the transaxle transfer case. Beeline went out of business years ago.

I remove large trees pretty often with my winch. I will not say it is always easy peasy but I do and charge plenty for my work. On a recent job guy wants me to remove tree where he plans a house. He brings in three heavy backhoes and still can not budge it. My winch is only about 6,000 or 7,000 lbs but I use up to 10 snatch blocks. I will utilize even more if need be. The last guy wanted me to set up but only pay me for the time that my winch is running. Not a chance as it often takes several days to set up. If the tree is cut down near the ground then that makes the work much harder. Usually I bring a log or some thing 5 or 6 feet high to elevate pulling trunk up some. Thanks

I ended up digging it out with backhoe. 6 ft deep cut 360 deg around it.

I have pulled stumps with a 12,000# winch with 16X block advantage, big trick is find somewhere - aka bigger stump or tree - to anchor the back of the truck with the winch and the other end of the 16X block array. Have broken a doubled 3/4" wire rope choker with the setup.
BTW, you DO want to park the winch truck 15 degrees off to the side, when a doubled 3/4"choker breaks, you can get 100+ pounds of blocks thrown 30 feet!
Even over 150,000 pounds on 4 ft high D Fir stump over 5 ft in diameter does NOT budge.

I ended up digging it out with backhoe. 6 ft deep cut 360 deg around it.

I have pulled stumps with a 12,000# winch with 16X block advantage, big trick is find somewhere - aka bigger stump or tree - to anchor the back of the truck with the winch and the other end of the 16X block array. Have broken a doubled 3/4" wire rope choker with the setup.
BTW, you DO want to park the winch truck 15 degrees off to the side, when a doubled 3/4"choker breaks, you can get 100+ pounds of blocks thrown 30 feet!
Even over 150,000 pounds on 4 ft high D Fir stump over 5 ft in diameter does NOT budge.
My last job was on a fir 7'' across at the base. My point of view what a hack job but no one said it was all easy.

Attachments

• KIMG0195.jpg
    KIMG0195.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 15

Latest posts

Back