Removing spark arrestor in Remington Mighty Mite

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RRRocketMan

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
As part of my mission to service and restore an old Mighty Mite that is in running but arguably poor condition, I'd like to check the muffler for a blocked screen and possibly remove it if it's clogged up, but unlike a lot of larger chainsaws with a more "bolt-on" style muffler, this one seems so well integrated into the housing that the only evidence I see of it is a small slit from which all the smoke and gunk sputters out. I've looked around for videos or other instructions on how to get access to the muffler but haven't found anything yet. Does anyone know where I can find instructions on how to access/remove the muffler or at the very least get enough of it off to access the screen? I don't really need to rip everything apart if there's a cheat for accessing the screen but any help would be appreciated for at least getting that far. Thanks.

Obviously, I can't answer or give advice but I wish you'd posted some pictures because you got me qurious.

If you're referring to safety regulations, etc. there's no guarantee I'll "need" to remove it and even if I did, I live in a cold, damp, temperate suburban climate without an abundance of kindling around lol. Not sure what there is to take a picture of other than the thing spewing bar oil all over the place. Like many of its kind, the duck bill valve between the crank case and oil reservoir has disintegrated, causing oil to back up into the crank case, so the muffler spews that out along with copious amounts of smoke. Pretty good chance I'll need to clean the muffler one way or the other. If it was a canister style with bolts, it'd be a no-brainer but I'm assuming I have to take half the machine apart to access it on this saw? I figured I'd ask before possibly making things worse. I have a bad memory for re-assembly once I've taken something apart.

Ok.. what would you like a picture of? Just take a pic of the side of the chainsaw? How would that help?

My older husky 240 Sg fouled the spark arrestor till I adjusted the carb correctly.

I am going to be redoing the carb very shortly but I still need to check the muffler for blockages that have already occurred. Do you know how to get into it?

Thanks but I already have the exploded view and while it may seem to contain all the answers I find it wholely unclear from the picture, how the chainsaw comes apart. To me it just looks like a million parts spread over a table. All I can infer from it is that the muffler is attached below the cylinder casting, to the exhaust port but that doesn't tell much else. Do I have to remove the entire external case of the saw before I can get that off or is there a simpler procedure? Maybe I'm just not the visual type.

After staring at the saw for nearly 2 hours, dreading the thought of removing the casing, I finally found 2 hidden screws that go right through the muffler and into the block. An 8 mm socket later and the thing slid right out into my hand.

Back