Repair Tech Question.....What Standard Parts to Keep On Hand?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freudianfloyd

Clinically Diagnosed with CAD
Reaction score
For those of you who make your living repairing saws, preferably not-brand specific, I have a question. Are there common parts that everybody who repairs small engines should have in stock? For instance, spark plugs, and if so, what number seems to be the most universal? Carb kits? Fuel lines? Primer bulbs, etc.

I have been flipping saws for a hobby, but it always seems like I have to order these parts as needed, which slows the flipping process quite a bit. This past weekend, two projects I took on both needed carb kits and primer bulbs, but of course I didn't have any on hand, so I will have to place an order and wait a few days.....

So if any of you could provide a list of general parts or materials that seems to be rather universal, or just heavily used by even one brand, I would love to hear it. I would like to stock up on items just so I don't have to keep playing the waiting game.

Thank you,

Signing up to watch this thread for a related question: "Where do you guys buy these parts from, other than the OEM dealers?" I know of aftermarket parts for popular STIHL and Husqvarna parts, but how about for Poulan / Craftsman saws, older Homelites or McCullochs, and other brands? How about 'generic' parts (fuel line, starter cord, gasket materials, etc.?

Thanks.

Philbert

Fuel line, recoil rope, spark plugs, bar nuts. There isnt too much on the universal side that I keep on hand. If you don’t mind purchasing used parts saws of saws you flip. That would probably be a better way to build inventory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not saw specific. I have various sizes of fuel line, including the husqy specific line. Multiple carb kits, mainly specific to walbro carbs wt, wa, wj hda series for the most part. For some reason I havent had to mess with zama carbs much. Few intake clamps. Primer bulbs, and a complete primer assembly. I have a few boxes of plugs as well. Cant remember the numbers off the top of my head. Used to keep recoil rope around, but theres a store I drive past every day that stocks it, cheap so I dont bother anymore. Everything else is ordered or off to a dealer to get.
Signing up to watch this thread for a related question: "Where do you guys buy these parts from, other than the OEM dealers?" I know of aftermarket parts for popular STIHL and Husqvarna parts, but how about for Poulan / Craftsman saws, older Homelites or McCullochs, and other brands? How about 'generic' parts (fuel line, starter cord, gasket materials, etc.?

Thanks.

Philbert
To answer this in a nutshell (for me) is the internet. Ebay for quite a bit, carbs (generic) I normally get off Amazon. Saw specific stuff gets a general search and the low price plus shipping gets my money. I dont service near the power equipment I used to, so I worry less and less about having parts on hand.

Lots and lots of screws and Loctite if you work on Huskies .
fuel filters
fuel lines
spark plugs for the flooded Stihls
Carburetors as they are not a lot higher than good kits
fresh mix and bar oil
parts add as needed , you can tell by what YOU work on

I buy Dacron Rope from Sgt Knotts on Amazon, then i buy 25ft lengths of Tygon thru Stens as well as snap in primers, screw in primers, small and large bulbs, 4mix spark plugs, CJ7Y plugs, stihl large mount rims in 3/8 and 325 7 pin, small mount rims in the same variety also. Stihl clutch clips. A few recoil handles. A few amazon carbs, like for wild things, husky 350, ms170-250, at minimum i have the option of using the whole carb or the kit inside of it..., air filters for common saws...

Of course...chain loops in common sizes depending on what saws you see..

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Back