Repairs needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So those things just generally scare the hell out of me - is there some secret to using them without doing yourself an injury?
You must control the saw by keeping the gig in contact in the cut at all times. One thing is never limb with a bow saw because another limb can contact the bar and cause a kickback. I never used a bow for a cut down saw but I used them all the time for bucking firewood. Always use the bow on a downward cut and never high like in the picture above, that's just asking for trouble. The advantages to running bow saw will realty show up at the end of the day in production and how wore out you are. The chain will stay sharp longer because there is more chain in the loop and the ease of keeping the saw out of the dirt.

You must control the saw by keeping the gig in contact in the cut at all times. One thing is never limb with a bow saw because another limb can contact the bar and cause a kickback. I never used a bow for a cut down saw but I used them all the time for bucking firewood. Always use the bow on a downward cut and never high like in the picture above, that's just asking for trouble. The advantages to running bow saw will realty show up at the end of the day in production and how wore out you are. The chain will stay sharp longer because there is more chain in the loop and the ease of keeping the saw out of the dirt.
Interesting. My late husband used one occasionally - but he'd worked as a line trimmer for various electric companies and the city, for thirty years. And he didn't even like them (not a lot of call for them in that line or work, I guess?)

I just couldn't come up with a "common sense" answer to what would make them safer, other than he said basically what you said, about not limbing and such. Thanks for the info. Still think I'll avoid them. ;)

They can be dangerous if not used the proper way. If trained the proper way they present no more danger than other saws. The Bow Saw has special operating limits that bar saws don't have but when bucking up firewood they can't be beat for production and saving your back.

Back