Replacement Chinese made crankcase for Husqvarna 266

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hart47

Reaction score
I have a Husqvarna 266 chainsaw that I haven't used for many years. Unfortunately it was stored for 30 years on a concrete floor in an unheated shed, and when I decided to get it running again I found that the front of the saw where the oil tank is was corroded badly so that there are now several small holes through the magnesium crankcase into the oil tank. Everything else on the saw seems fine. When use last it was a good running saw.
Has anyone had any experience with the Chinese made crankcases available on E bay. Was thinking of swaping all my parts into the new crankcase. I will probably also have to buy a crankcase splitting tool to get my crankshaft out of my old saw.
Another alternative was to soda blast the corrosion on the front of the saw to clean it up, and then fill the holes with JB weld. Am not sure if this would hold up very long.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I have a Husqvarna 266 chainsaw that I haven't used for many years. Unfortunately it was stored for 30 years on a concrete floor in an unheated shed, and when I decided to get it running again I found that the front of the saw where the oil tank is was corroded badly so that there are now several small holes through the magnesium crankcase into the oil tank. Everything else on the saw seems fine. When use last it was a good running saw.
Has anyone had any experience with the Chinese made crankcases available on E bay. Was thinking of swaping all my parts into the new crankcase. I will probably also have to buy a crankcase splitting tool to get my crankshaft out of my old saw.
Another alternative was to soda blast the corrosion on the front of the saw to clean it up, and then fill the holes with JB weld. Am not sure if this would hold up very long.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
On O * P * E * forum there is a guy selling a set of n.o.s. Husky 66 cases which should be a direct fit for your saw, I'd contact him first. @davidwyby might have a set of 266 cases as well.

I have a shelf full of shortblocks, I think a couple of them might be pretty nice. I honestly haven't looked in long enough that I can't remember what is what...
9bc0f6c1220d81921c29d82405bc265f.jpg

Stick with oem. I have used the chinese cases on my 272xp and while they worked fine there was some clearancing I had to do around the coil and flywheel. Also, your 266 should have a 2 piece ignition, and the chinese cases are designed for the single piece ignition.

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I am going to go with a used OEM crankcase. Hoping to find a short block so I don't have to deal with splitting the case. 82F100SWB, I have sent you a private message about your crankcases. It's great that you are in Canada as I am on the west coast in BC.
As for trying to weld, the corrosion is pretty bad and some of the holes in the magnesium are right next to the split for the two case halves. Welding would probably burn the gasket and also possibly deform the mating surface, and then I would have to split the case. I do have an aluminum capable welder but am still learning how to weld aluminum. My saw has the duel coil pack but doesn't seem to have a spark anyway. Will probably have to stick with the same type coil pack since the single coil probably has a different flywheel. The single coil packs seem to be easier to find though, and are less expensive.

I didn't realize we were in the politics thread
Some of those on this fourm are OEM or bust, pity when those of us who can't/won't pay OEM prices those OEM or bust guys bit*h and moan at us, well they could give us OEM parts if they don't want us to buy from "that country".

Some of those on this fourm are OEM or bust, pity when those of us who can't/won't pay OEM prices those OEM or bust guys bit*h and moan at us, well they could give us OEM parts if they don't want us to buy from "that country".
Quality is the only thing I'm interested in and mainland China in most cases don"t include that but there are other companys out there that are not oem that are good quality, as far as cases are concerned for what it's worth grab some used oem ones, a lot of them out there - imo ( speaking from experiance)

Latest posts

Back