Replacing wheel bearings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenclimber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Any tips, tricks, or advice form an experienced operator?

-Bandit 1590 XP, 2004

-Whoever replaced them last used screw set style on both the motor side and non motor side. The kit that I ordered came with 2 screw style, and 2 sets grip tight style, but I was under the impression that the motor side was supposed to get the grip tight style and the non motor side screw set.

Issues so far:

The motor shaft is not coming out. It is not keyed or a splined shaft. It seems to be pinned in place.

The top motor looks newer and has a threaded bolt holding the motor shaft onto the feed roller which I should be able to unscrew. The bottom has some sort of a large pin that won't hammer out. Almost like a rivet pin. I don't know if it was welded in place or not. I cut off the round head on one side and tried hammering it out with a drif pin and small hammer. No luck. Didn't cut the head on the other side yet.

The bearing that I was able to remove the set screws from won't come off the feed wheel shaft.

One of the set screws won't budge and have started to strip. I might need to weld on them to break them free.

I thought this would take about 30 minutes per side, but it's been half a day with no progress... No broken bolts, smooth so far. Should I replace them with new bolts? Any thoughts to share?

Thanks!

On my 2006 bandit the couplers to the motors have to be torched off. They are held in by a tapered pin. Don’t know if anything’s has changed.

Back