repost (better title) MS 340 conversion to MS360 worth it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgdm

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I think my prior attempt at this question might have missed the mark. so I am reposting. I am basically trying to whether it is worthwhile to get an aftermarket 360 cylinder and piston for my 340...

Good morning. as the subject implied I have an ms340. I bought it second hand several years ago, it is a handy saw that I use frequently and it is also my largest saw, my others being a couple of 260's (should sell one) and a 290 that I bought new and haven't used in years since I bought the pro model saws second hand. My 340 has always had weak compression (I should get a compression tester) it does poorly on the hanign by the starter cord test and will only cut if if hits the log at high RPMs, otherwise it bogs. I run a 20 inch bar on it. I have done a bit of reading online and I am intrigued by the thought of converting it to a 360. are there any downsides to this conversion? presumably it would use more fuel, produce more power and weigh a bit more. I believe I could keep my same carb and everything, just would need to shave a bit off the top cover to make it fit.

My second related question is whether an aftermarket cylinder and piston is worhwhile, I can't imagine I would be keen on paying OEM prices. the other option would be to buy a smashed up 360 if I could find one, unlikely to find a used saw cheap with a good cylinder and piston.

Third question, from the youtube videos, this looks like a pretty simple task for a halfway handy and very determined person to tackle. but I am no mechanic, any flags for this as a DIY project

and finally, cylinder kits I see online often do not have a gasket, is a new gasket necessary (seems like it would be a good idea)

I thought of yet another question, would it be easier/better to just buy a used 360 if a decent quality one could be found and sell the 340? I would then have a 360 with OEM parts (but an unknown history).

Thanks for your thoughts

David

Not exactly the same, but I upgraded a Stihl 034 AV to an 036 a few years back, and it was well worth it. More power and practically no additional weight:
1639430706928.jpegThis saw still runs well today. It was straight gassed by the owner who gave up on it and let me take it over. I bought all the parts (except the bar) from HLSupply.

I'd pull the muffler and see what the piston skirt looks like. Hopefully it's clean.
Unless the cylinder has ingested FOD, the piston may be trashed, but the cylinder can be salvaged.
I'd also replace the crankshaft seals, as it can result in reduced fuel flow and poor performance.
If the piston and cylinder are trashed, I'd forgo OEM and locate a Meteor 360 set.

Latest posts

Back