Reviving an old Stihl 024

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anonym

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Been a while since I’ve been on here, but I recently found an old (West Germany) 024 that my father-in-law took apart probably 20 years ago and left in the shed. He was in process of replacing a cracked gas tank when he lost interest and bought an MS250.

Fast forward to about a year ago, shortly after he passed, and my 026 decided to drop the coil one weekend while getting in the winter wood. I asked my MIL and BIL if I could “borrow” the coil to get me through the weekend, and was told to take whatever I wanted of that saw. “It’s junk”.

My oldest boy is starting to learn to use a saw and I have had him working with an 009L, but remembered the 024 and started digging through the shed looking for more parts.

To make a long story short, we managed to get it cleaned up and put back together enough to test it out yesterday evening. The old gal fired up and ran great! Perfect cylinder, great compression, oiled fantastic. Going to make him a great saw!

The bad news is the rubber parts are dry and need replaced, and the front of the crankcase is leaking oil like a sieve. I’m afraid a total strip and split are necessary. I know it’s an old saw, but I can’t not get it in this kid’s hands. All in, I’ll have about $100 and LOTS of time invested. Think I am crazy for wanting to tackle it, and are there any pitfalls I need to be aware of? I’ve honestly never had a saw that far apart yet, but how hard can it be, right?!

Back