Reviving old Pioneer Farmsaw. parts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The reed valve seems like it's ok.

I'm wondering if the carburetor needs rebuilt. When I replaced the fuel lines I did not replace the filter in the tank. I just blew it out, looked ok to me. It looks like it was cleaned up but may have just been removed from old saw.

I dont have a compression tester. I wadded up some tissue paper and when I pull the cord it blew the paper. I believe it has compression. Piston looks good from exhaust.

I also think the husky coil from china was crap. Going to try the other coil the homelite coil.

Well I would squirt some gas in the plug hole and see if it pops might take. Few pulls with the throttle open. FYI those have a automatic compression release when you pull the cord. Make sure it works or will kill your recoil and parts are hard to find. If you did not rebuild the carb that is most likely it.

Thank you. The decompression seems to work freely. When I pulled the plug the plug wire came apart. So much for the cheap one from China. Just ordered the homelite super xl coil. It's supposed to be the same ignition coil.

I plan to rebuild carb looking to find rebuild kit now.

Still trying to get saw running. Pulled carb to check reed valve seems like it's ok, no visible damage. Reassembled the carb.
Thought I might try different coil had concern about the cheapest one from China. I read in a thread that the homelite super xl coil would fit. Ordered a proline coil for the homelite super xl the fitment was not correct. Anyone have ideas on which coil might work on the pioneer farmsaw?

Quick compression check.
1. Pick up saw.
2. Grasp pull cord handle firmly.
3. Let go of saw.
If it stays up, decent compression. If it slowly walks down the rope, not good compression.
May not work on this one with recoil operated decomp. May have to defeat that first.
Decent screw in type compression testers can be had at most auto parts stores, and will come in handy for other projects if you develop CAD.
Dumb question. Did you install a NEW spark plug?
If not, do so before throwing out China coil, though it sounds like the plug wire coming apart may have already trashed that.

The reed valve seems like it's ok.

I'm wondering if the carburetor needs rebuilt. When I replaced the fuel lines I did not replace the filter in the tank. I just blew it out, looked ok to me. It looks like it was cleaned up but may have just been removed from old saw.

I dont have a compression tester. I wadded up some tissue paper and when I pull the cord it blew the paper. I believe it has compression. Piston looks good from exhaust.

I also think the husky coil from china was crap. Going to try the other coil the homelite coil.

Rebuild the carburetor, replace the fuel filter. If you suspect the coil is bad put it in a toaster oven at 200 for 2 hours. Have you tested it with one of those spark testers from the local auto parts store? Gap it with a business card during reassembly. Also I believe there is a ground wire inside the air filter area most likely attached to a carb bolt. It will not run without it.

20191007_190554.jpg I found a source for the ignition coil Standard Magneto Sales Co, inc. Wood Dale, illinois 639.227.4907. $53.32 with shipping. He manufactures the presto lite coil, the blue one. , Bolts right on!

On the coil there is a terminal that would go to the kill switch, the spark plug wire and a 3rd wire that come from the other end of the coil but the wire is only about 2" long and has an "eye" terminal. The other one had a ground wire that went up to the carburetor post. Wondering where this should be terminated?

Attachments

• 15704895848086681831655453197318.jpg
    15704895848086681831655453197318.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
Thanks. That's what I thought but was not sure. Grounding it right on the laminated frame had me wondering.

Also, I wanted to rebuild carburetor. It's a tillotson, Borg Warner, was looking for numbers to identify the correct rebuild kit. Not sure how to tell. On the side of the body there are a list of numbers when I find a search it really didn't seem to help identify the carb. See the photo.20191006_175854.jpg 20191006_175854.jpg 20191006_175854.jpg

View attachment 764291 I found a source for the ignition coil Standard Magneto Sales Co, inc. Wood Dale, illinois 639.227.4907. $53.32 with shipping. He manufactures the presto lite coil, the blue one. , Bolts right on!

On the coil there is a terminal that would go to the kill switch, the spark plug wire and a 3rd wire that come from the other end of the coil but the wire is only about 2" long and has an "eye" terminal. The other one had a ground wire that went up to the carburetor post. Wondering where this should be terminated?
Thanks for the tip regarding the source for new coils for these saws.

Rebuilt the carb. Strong spark, good fuel and great combustion, but would not fire I noticed smoke from exhaust. I discovered that the key in the flywheel had sheared off and the timing was off. Had trouble sourcing a key local so I had to fabricate one it's 3/32 stock. Installed the new key and it fires right up!

Smoked a bit at 1st probably burning old residual oils but runs strong. Since all my other saws are stihl I wanted to make the bars and chains work on this saw. The posts are 3/8 on this saw and the stihl bar slot is 12.1mm so I got a bushing 3/8 I'd and 12mm od and cut two pieces the thickness of the bar to slide over posts. The oiler slot does not line up exactly but will work. The adjustment screw needed a bit if modification to fit into the stihl bar.

I'll report back once I've run the saw awhile on the stihl bar setup on this saw.

Back