Rim Sprockets and Filing Guides

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony Grice

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi all new to the forum, new to owning and working on chainsaws. Not necessarily new to using them but never taken them apart tuned, fixed, maintained etc.

A recently acquired case of CAD (Chainsaw Acquisition Disease as I beleive you all refer to it as) landed me with a non working husqvarna 55 PHO for $15 with a blown top end and the recoil spring was shot.

I also bought a well maintained clean looking 026 from a guy on craigs list it runs like a champ but that is beside the point.

I promptly took it home cleaned all the crud off, cleaned the carb, checked for spark.

Ok no spark, P&C was shot, carb diaphragms appeared to be in good shape, not stiff as far as I could tell.

So I ordered a chinese P&C and magneto off amazon, replaced P&C using a new base gasket and motoseal RTV (I've read this is the same as yamabond and some of the other quality gas resistant sealants) Replaced the magneto setting the air gap with a business card. Also put a carb kit, new plug, fuel filter in for good measure and cleaned the air filter with soap and water and allowed to dry overnight.

NOW its all back together and fires right up no problem and aside from the bar and chain I have just under $100 into the saw.

I also replaced the rim sprocket with a .325 - 7 from oregon and put an 18" oregon bar & chain on that saw. one thing I notice when I replaced the rim sprocket is that there seems to be quite a bit of play on the clutch drum for the sprocket to ride back and forth, is this normal? I mainly ask because when I took it apart the saw seemed complete and all the parts that came off went back on, however after a short break in during making a few test cuts I had a few sparks come out of the chain cover. Is this normal for a brand new rim sprocket and a brand new chain until they wear into one another or is this a result of that rim sprocket being free to ride back and forth on the drum? The parts diagram does not show a spacer or anything like that but I just wanted to check before I ruined new parts.

Also not much sense in having chainsaws if I cant sharpen them properly. I have a stihl brand filing guide and file for the 3/8" picco chain on my fathers ms210. Can I just replace the existing file with a 3/16 file (for my .325 chain) in that filing guide or since the depth of the file in the tooth is so critical to precise sharpening they make filing guides specific to each file size?

Sorry about the novel but I am kind of a noobie/expert and have read for hours and hours on this forum to have the knowledge that I have now. So to the average guy I probably am an expert, and to those here I am a noob. Thanks to those who I have already learned so much from.

The Oregon rim drive appears to be a very loose fit on the Stihl drum shaft on the 026`s I have tried them on, it might just be the rims I have here or that there is quite a difference in the size tolerance. I will try to get measurements to see or try several rims on several different Stihl drums, possibly the one I tried was worn under size already. This post was removed and re posted as I had said Oregon rims could not be used on Stihl drums, that was brought to my attention as not being the case so I will defer until more research on my part is carried out. I know that I would not run the rim I tried on the Stihl drum I had, it was excessively loose fitting.

I notice when I replaced the rim sprocket is that there seems to be quite a bit of play on the clutch drum for the sprocket to ride back and forth, is this normal?
...I had a few sparks come out of the chain cover.

Yes, normal, the rim sprocket "floats" in and out on the splines so the chain and sprocket line up with the bar groove.

You can`t run an Oregon rim sprocket on the Stihl clutch drum, the splines are a different size with the Stihl one being smaller.
Oregon makes a .325-7 small spline replacement rim that fits the OEM Stihl clutch drum... part number 11892 (.325-8 small spline is #11891).
I believe my 026 has an Oregon rim on it now... the Stihl brand rim is twice the money.

Yes, normal, the rim sprocket "floats" in and out on the splines so the chain and sprocket line up with the bar groove.

Oregon makes a .325-7 small spline replacement rim that fits the OEM Stihl clutch drum... part number 11892 (.325-8 small spline is #11891).
I believe my 026 has an Oregon rim on it now... the Stihl brand rim is twice the money.

I have tried them and they seem to fit very sloppy, would they not soon wear the spline and sprocket shaft excessively. The Stihl small spline fits much tighter like its machined for the sprocket. The Stihl brand rims are $4. here.

I have tried them and they seem to fit very sloppy...
The Stihl brand rims are $4. here.
I haven't noticed that... maybe it is/was a minimum/maximum tolerance thing for one of us (or both of us) :confused:
FOUR BUCKS‼ I'm gonna' haf'ta have a talk with my Stihl dealer... I picked up two of 'em yesterday and he hit me $11 EACH‼

I haven't noticed that... maybe it is/was a minimum/maximum tolerance thing for one of us (or both of us) :confused:
FOUR BUCKS‼ I'm gonna' haf'ta have a talk with my Stihl dealer... I picked up two of 'em yesterday and he hit me $11 EACH‼

I must get a few out and measure them, I did just try dropping an Oregon rim drive on the Stihl drum , it was excessively loose on the Stihl drum shaft but it fit nicely on the Oregon drum on a different 026. I had a stack of the Oregon .325-7 rims and the 2-3 I tried were all the same, looked and felt very loose. I just bought 4 rim drives yesterday for 026`s from my Stihl dealer yesterday afternoon, they were 3.89 ea plus 60 cents tax so it was $4.49 out the door. If your dealer is charging more than $6. ea. for them he surely is making a huge profit.

The Oregon rim drive appears to be a very loose fit on the Stihl drum shaft on the 026`s I have tried them on, it might just be the rims I have here or that there is quite a difference in the size tolerance. I will try to get measurements to see or try several rims on several different Stihl drums, possibly the one I tried was worn under size already. This post was removed and re posted as I had said Oregon rims could not be used on Stihl drums, that was brought to my attention as not being the case so I will defer until more research on my part is carried out. I know that I would not run the rim I tried on the Stihl drum I had, it was excessively loose fitting.

In this case, it may be true that you can't use an Oregon rim on a Stihl drum.

You will have an issue if the splines are the "mini" Stihl one, and the rim is a regular "small" 7-spline. This will be the case on the 026, unless the drum has been replaced with a small spline one. Oregon doesn't sell rims for the mini 7-spline drums, although they make the Stihl branded ones for Stihl.

@Anthony Grice: It is normal that the rim can float a little back and forth on the splines. It is meant to be that way. Check that the clip or whatever keeps the rim from falling off is in place though.

You will have an issue if the splines are the "mini" Stihl one, and the rim is a regular "small" 7-spline.
I wasn't aware there was a "mini"... but I do know there is a "before/after" serial number for the clutch drum.
My old 026 (1992-93??) has the original drum, with a regular "small spline"... maybe the later saws used the "mini"??
Just guessin'.

In this case, it may be true that you can't use an Oregon rim on a Stihl drum.

You will have an issue if the splines are the "mini" Stihl one, and the rim is a regular "small" 7-spline. This will be the case on the 026, unless the drum has been replaced with a small spline one. Oregon doesn't sell rims for the mini 7-spline drums, although they make the Stihl branded ones for Stihl.

@Anthony Grice: It is normal that the rim can float a little back and forth on the splines. It is meant to be that way. Check that the clip or whatever keeps the rim from falling off is in place though.

That seems to be the case for my saws, they are the older 026`s and the Oregon rims sold to me to fit the 026 don`t fit properly at all. The older 026`s have the mini spline on the clutch drum and only the rims from Stihl fit properly, the oregon ones are very sloppy on the Stihl mini but fit the replacement drum Oregon supplies for the 026. The Oregon rim will stay on the Sthil mini spline and actually turn chain but the fit is way too loose for me to run, several saws have come my way with this setup so I change them out for the correct OEM rim. Several drums have the splines ruined though by running the Oregon rim on them.

Thanks everyone. I just wanted to be sure the rim "floating" that was normal. Looking forward to being more involved here on AS.

Picked up a MAC 3200 today not running w/ no muffler today FO FREE. P&C looked good and the fuel and oil lines were all brittle such that when I even touch them they broke or split. I would assume diaphragms are also shot. Other than that saw seems to be OK & complete, just dirty. I am sure once I get into it I may have questions. Again being new to the forum and forums in general would the appropriate thing be to start a new thread about it if I cannot find what I am looking for in an existing thread?

Op, as far as seeing sparks it can be common with new bar and chain to see a few. Make sure your oiler is working properly, and I was always told to run a new bar for a little bit out of the wood. (Aka) piss revving, just to kinda break them in before cutting.

That seems to be the case for my saws, they are the older 026`s and the Oregon rims sold to me to fit the 026 don`t fit properly at all. The older 026`s have the mini spline on the clutch drum and only the rims from Stihl fit properly, the oregon ones are very sloppy on the Stihl mini but fit the replacement drum Oregon supplies for the 026. The Oregon rim will stay on the Sthil mini spline and actually turn chain but the fit is way too loose for me to run, several saws have come my way with this setup so I change them out for the correct OEM rim. Several drums have the splines ruined though by running the Oregon rim on them.
Yes, that adds up - and I believe all 024, 026, 240 and 260 came with a mini spline drum.

As I see it, the only point with the mini spline is that a 6-pin picco rim is possible (I don't know if they currently offer them)- besides just being different, to sell more premium priced Stihl branded parts .

Btw, also the Stihl branded 7- and 8-pin picco rims are normally availiable only for the mini spline drums, which likely is a result of a deal between Stihl (that sell them) and Oregon (that make them for Stihl). Pin type rims have been made by others in the past though, at least Danzco, for other spline sizes.

Hi all new to the forum, new to owning and working on chainsaws. ....................
I have a stihl brand filing guide and file for the 3/8" picco chain on my fathers ms210. Can I just replace the existing file with a 3/16 file (for my .325 chain) in that filing guide or since the depth of the file in the tooth is so critical to precise sharpening they make filing guides specific to each file size?

Of course you can do that but a file guide designed for the 3/16 file is what you should use.

Oregon doesn't sell rims for the mini 7-spline drums, although they make the Stihl branded ones for Stihl.
Will anyone else confirm that Oregon makes Stihl branded rim sprockets? Seems a bit in conflict with their business model.

I have a stihl brand filing guide and file for the 3/8" picco chain on my fathers ms210. Can I just replace the existing file with a 3/16 file (for my .325 chain) in that filing guide or since the depth of the file in the tooth is so critical to precise sharpening they make filing guides specific to each file size?
Welcome to A.S.!

You will get a different angle on your cutters using the mis-matched file and guide. Up to you to decide if this makes a difference in the cutting that you do.

Philbert

Back