Rim Sprockets and Filing Guides

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Often times when a product is furnace brazed it must be attached in some fashion that will make it through the oven process. We furnace braze alum. cooling cores. The alum has a clad surface on the bonding sides. Prior to furnace brazing at some point a mig welder or staking is used to keep brackets etc in place.

So maybe the spur sprocket teeth are sintered and the rim sprockets are cast? Maybe some are made one way and others another?
Ummmmm.......
We were talkin' 'bout rim sprockets... that's what's in the title of this thread... Stihl says their rim sprockets are sintered steel, the website don't specify the process used to manufacture spur sprockets.
I don't see the inconsistency you do... spur sprockets are positioned onto the clutch drum by soldering, quality tested again (likely for concentric positioning, but that's a guess), and finally brazed to the drum (likely in a brazing furnace as mentioned above, another guess). Technically, the only difference between soldering and brazing is the temperature required to melt the filler material... soldering <842°> brazing.

Maybe unicorns will show up to mow my lawn . . . ?
You don't really believe in magic... do ya'??

Granberg file-n-joint is what I use. Its not sintered steel, but hey, the saw cuts good. There was some break in time on my FJ and it files & adjusts much smoother now after 2 or three years,

We were talkin' 'bout rim sprockets... that's what's in the title of this thread... Stihl says their rim sprockets are sintered steel, the website don't specify the process used to manufacture spur sprockets.
But the web site discussed talks about both . . . Could have been written by a copywriter, instead of a technical expert.

Philbert
Screen shot 2015-05-18 at 4.45.40 PM.png

But we weren't discussing the website... B'sides, I already linked to that page back in post #46... have a look.

So you want to reference a web page, but don't want me to comment on it?*

And the other guy is upset that Sawtroll uses his knowledge and the appearance of a product to form an opinion, then uses his own knowledge and the appearance of the product to disagree?

I think I'll stick with the unicorns. Besides, we scared off the OP 2 weeks ago!

Philbert

*My comment on the STIHL web page you referenced is that it appeared to contain errors - maybe their statement about the rim sprockets being 'sintered' was also an error?

My comment on the STIHL web page you referenced is that it appeared to contain errors - maybe their statement about the rim sprockets being 'sintered' was also an error?
I'll agree with the typo... "tanks" should have been "tangs"... but I doubt "sintered" is a typo (what was it supposed to be?? splintered??).
Other than that... any error is only what you're wanting to find.
Yeah... maybe you should stick with unicorns...

Thank you for posting the pics Philbert. I can clearly see their process for both the "brazing" they call soldering and the heat treating.

I know it is off track at this point but if anyone is interested I can explain what is taking place.

The computerized image is of a CMM (Coordinate-measuring machine) Taking precise measurements and documenting them.

Whitespider I'll give you this, you certainly have a way of creating a spirited discussion.:lol:

Ha. Well I suppose the reason I'm here is because I like anything mechanical. I build water and waste water plants for a living.. those aren't a realistic hobby.. I would work on cars except they take to much money space and sometimes specialized tools. So why not small engines...

So while I don't know much about some of the things discussed in the thread I have an appreciation for those who take time to learn the in and outs of just about anything. Certainly plenty of those folks here.

The Stihl website claims their rim sprockets are sintered steel... so not cast from molten steel, rather formed from powdered steel under intense pressure at temperatures something less than melting point.

http://www.stihl.com/stihl-chain-sprockets.aspx

A lot of Husqvarna and Oregon developments??
How many is a lot??
Which ones can you name??

Some exemples;

From Husky: spring AV, "air injection", quad transfer cylinders, AT (M-Thronic), and some "strato" technology. As far as I know, that latter two is licenced, the others just copied.

From Oregon: low vibe chassis on chain, and the basic design of the LP/DP/BP chain - but Stihl messed it up, and made "green" chain out of the basic design, with much larger rakers and ramps.

Have you measured those MAX sprockets outside diameter for consistency both at various places around the diameter and the side with the debris clearing openings vs the solid side? I have some other branded ones that are not finish ground and the side with the cut outs shrunk compared to the other one.

I will not use rims that are not branded Oregon or Stihl - unless it is a specialty made pin-type one, in a configuration (pin count/spline size) that otherwise isn't availiable.

Ok all knew question on rim sprockets, I couldn't find this by searching but thought it fit well with this convo so no need for a new thread.

Recently aquired an ms 460 from a gentleman here, runs like a champ but the clutch "jingled" and I couldn't idle it low enough to make the chain stop completely soooo clutch springs. Upon disassembly I dicovered that the clutch drum was worn just to that 80% mark listed in the manual so my thoughts where that the worn drum is what caused the springs to prematurely wear, as the clutch shoes looked fairly new. So when I ordered a new one although I specified a drum for a 7 pin sprocket I got the 8 pin kit. My question is, is it safe to run the 7 pin sprocket on an 8 pin drum. The spline lines up fine but the drum doesn't have the small indents where the chains links are just a fuzz deeper than the 7 pin sprocket.

My thoughts are that the chain links will wear the indents in quickly and cosidering how guys talk of switching rim sprockets back and forth all the time it's not an issue. Just want to confirm before I put unessesary wear on the chain, or drum for that matter, or worse if it's enough to cause the chain to jump or something.

Back