Rim sprockets from other than Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unknwn

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
As much time burnt learning about nuance of replacement "for Stihl" 3/8 rim sprockets -might- just have been better spent at the Stihl dealer?
The 036 has a "small form factor"? splined hub, and I'd have liked to think that there would be an Oregon part to fit just like the OE Stihl.
No Dice. The only way that is workable is if you opt to change over the whole business to their Power Mate "system".
Maybe I'm narrow minded, but I'd like to think that the OE Stihl clutch shell is likely superior to the Oregon part (probably made ???, with '87 Buicks as starting material?).
I'd have liked to fall back on the Oregon sintered metal sprocket, because I've read about the quality of radial runout, but it's just not an option.
Well, the rim sprocket being an item with a decided limited life span, is available through Stihl for a fairly exorbitant asking price, or as a chinee "for Stihl" option.
Are these far East copies up to the task (I'm not a commercial woodcutter, by far) at $4-$5 each /3, or is the genuine Stihl (at -many- times that cost) really going to outlast/outperform those chinee copies?
I'm running the genuine Stihl chain exclusively, so the drive link components are possibly harder material? than others too.

Though not bought in the last few years I have a few GB mini Stihl spline 3/8 sprockets. I believe they were left over from some package deal that Left coast supplies was selling. There is radial runout, as in chain going loose then tight but they likely were "seconds" and the price reflected this. Do you mean to state your Stihl dealer wants between $12 and $15 for one sprocket? I bought one mini spline picco 3/8 a few years back and it was $7 or so and they said it was the most expensive sprocket in the list.

Though not bought in the last few years I have a few GB mini Stihl spline 3/8 sprockets. I believe they were left over from some package deal that Left coast supplies was selling. There is radial runout, as in chain going loose then tight but they likely were "seconds" and the price reflected this. Do you mean to state your Stihl dealer wants between $12 and $15 for one sprocket? I bought one mini spline picco 3/8 a few years back and it was $7 or so and they said it was the most expensive sprocket in the list.
The Cutter outlet up the street quoted me nearly $22 + tax, and half a week away

Here in canada I pay around 15 for 1 rim sprocket weather it's small or medium size hubs. I havent tried the Chinese but for the amount I go through which isn't many I find it's worth every penny. But i have a couple Chinese clutch drums on a couple saws but haven't spent much time to say anything negative or positive for reliability but fitment I found sometimes to be a issue

The Cutter outlet up the street quoted me nearly $22 + tax, and half a week away
The fitment I was looking for was 3/8 std pitch (I don't think -that- matters), and the spline hub size is considered "mini" (somewhere about 16-17mm).
If my part # is right, it's a Stihl -0000 642 1231- . Forester has there own version at about $6 ea. (I don't know -anything- about their quality), if I could only get these things (ebay'd OE Stihl -or- Forester) shipped for less than half dozen dollars ea. . The scAmazon chinee (with Italian sounding name-hah!) are like $12/3+tx delivered , again, what's the quality?
You can even buy them cheaper (make certain your getting the right fitment,though) But I REALLY hate buying -crap-.

Oregon is very good quality, Husqvarna and possibly Stihl have their clutch drums made by them, and their system is better as it does not use "proprietary" sized mini spline rims that are only available from Stihl.

Oregon is very good quality, Husqvarna and possibly Stihl have their clutch drums made by them, and their system is better as it does not use "proprietary" sized mini spline rims that are only available from Stihl.
Good to know.
I'd really like to learn whether they've resorted to "chinee of origin" which often means crapluster materials throughout.
Good names seem to be offshoring production to places where workers are raised on fish heads & rice, hammering parts out of '87 buicks & budweiser beer cans.
Parts being pressed out of sintered metal tend to be a different breed though.
The material nearly HAS to be of a decent base, otherwise they are just as likely to prematurely disintegrate.
Their problems tend to arise with the production dies and quality control though.

Good to know.
I'd really like to learn whether they've resorted to "chinee of origin" which often means crapluster materials throughout.
Good names seem to be offshoring production to places where workers are raised on fish heads & rice, hammering parts out of '87 buicks & budweiser beer cans.
Parts being pressed out of sintered metal tend to be a different breed though.
The material nearly HAS to be of a decent base, otherwise they are just as likely to prematurely disintegrate.
Their problems tend to arise with the production dies and quality control though.
Oregon is a good, quality company but there are many knockoffs of their products. As far as I know all of Oregon's products are still made in Canada/the US, but I don't know that for certain.

I just found a listing for the part manufactured by a company by the name of GB, and there is indication that it originates in Australia.
Any experience, input on that regard?

Although they do make some bars but I highly doubt they make sprockets. Manufacturing is essentially dead over here.
I asked the e-tailer and he was willing to stand with the origin. And the sprocket is pressed with that GB logo on it. GB® stands for Griffiths & Beerens

I'll see what the dealer has to say in the morning, if I can still get my hands on it in that cost range it's on the agenda 1st thing.
Thanks for the eye-opener.

Back