Ripping chain for 034

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking to try some milling,,whats the best place to get some ripping chain,,20 inch bar,72 drive links,,not sure of the bar groove width,,cant find markings on bar,drive links width measured .053 ? 3/8 pitch.,,sorry I guess I should have put this in the milling section ?

Stilth 034 is a smaller saw for Milling with only 56 ccs. It's doable but watch the heat. Rest the saw at idle on long runs. There are two types of ripping chains from varied suppliers. The fastest delivery with good results I would recommend is https://www.baileysonline.com/woodlandpro-30rp-3-8-pitch-ripping-chain-wpp-30rp.html . When I had a MS 390 saw I was using for milling it gave a good cut. Definitely affordable, shipping is fast, and it is not a complex ripping chain for sharpening. If your new to it don't cut the depth gauge low. keep the standard. Some think it you will get a more aggressive cut but without the power, you will get a very rough cut, and no speed increase From my opinion and other experts I chatted with.

As info.
The best chain I used was a Stilh ripping chain but don't think they make it anymore.

Grandberg uses a normal full chisel and they modify it to turn it into a ripping chain. The cutters are ground for scoring and cleaning and this helps with pushing the chain through the cut. It has the benefit of speed on lower-powered saws. It's complex but you get used to it.

Oregon has a manufactured designed ripping chain also I have used but IMO would not use it for a saw below 92 CC, or on shorter bars. For longer bars and good CC's it is also a good aggressive cut just pricy in my book.

I mill with three different saws Stilh 076 AV 122 cc chain saw 28 in bar with 404 chains, McCullough I40 77 CC 404, and a Chinese 660 knock off which I have not used much yet. Both older saws operate on lower RPMs than newer saws. I use a 20-degree angle. Currently just normally get a regular full chisel chain and grind to angles I want, as I have a 3 ft dual head bar and two 076 AV's which is a lot of chain. I have a Lawnmower shop that gets various chains in rolls at a good price so by loyalty continue to buy and sometimes he is out of the ripping chain. Basically if you get the chainsaw milling disease you test and try various types. I just ordered some Grandburg chain for a Chinese 92 CC saw, 404 3/8 in gage on 20-inch bar to test out their grinding and chain. Only had one chain for it.

Little saw will be happier with a narrow kerf chain.

Stihl 63PMX chain. It's 3/8 lo pro/picco. Pricey and hard to find in USA. You'll need a 3003 mount picco bar (hard to find) and a picco rim. The rims are available from Stihl if you have the old style clutch. There are aftermarket companies making medium spline picco rims now.

Little saw will be happier with a narrow kerf chain.

Stihl 63PMX chain. It's 3/8 lo pro/picco. Pricey and hard to find in USA. You'll need a 3003 mount picco bar (hard to find) and a picco rim. The rims are available from Stihl if you have the old style clutch. There are aftermarket companies making medium spline picco rims now.
The specs for the 034 states use a 3003 mount. Is the Picco bar different or something addition to the mount and different rim ?

STIHL 034
Model name:034AVEQZ
Engine size:56.5cc
Power output:N/A
N/A
hp
kW
Weight
(powerhead):
lb.
kg
Bar length:16″…24″
Chain pitch:.325″(3/8″)
Bar mount:3003

The specs for the 034 states use a 3003 mount. Is the Picco bar different or something addition to the mount and different rim ?

STIHL 034
Model name:034AVEQZ
Engine size:56.5cc
Power output:N/A
N/A
hp
kW
Weight
(powerhead):
lb.
kg
Bar length:16″…24″
Chain pitch:.325″(3/8″)
Bar mount:3003

Picco/lo pro 3/8 chain uses different drive and bar sprockets than standard 3/8 chain, even though pitch is the same.

The chain chassis are different.

Latest posts

Back