ripping chain options

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with the advice above, just use what you have, no special ripping chain required. Or, get an Oregon ripping chain. You can find the part number on their website and then order at your local shop or just Amazon if you prefer. We use an Alaskan style mill to shape big logs to size to fit on the sawmill and I haven’t seen any performance difference between a ripping chain (either Oregon or Granberg) and a chisel chain. A sharp chain will make a clean cut either way.

I run this on my 041 with a 25" bar and extra low rakers - it easily keeps up with the 880 running a longer bar/chain with standard rakers.
Been off AS for a good while because it seemed to go dead but seems to have life again. The FB milling group I'm on has such an astounding amount of bad advice being given that I thought I'd try AS again. You got me interested in lo pro a few years back when you pointed out that for 15-25" mesquite, comparable to your Aussie hardwoods, lo pro might make more sense than my 880. But getting the sprocket was so problematic and wasn't up to making my own I kept putting it off. Finally started ordering from Chainsawbars in the UK where all the UK and European millers buy their gear. They've really helped develop lo pro milling. They got GB to make lo pro sprockets for 60+cc saws for them, carry all the GB lo pro bars, and varieties of lo pro chain. After getting a 20" bar for a small log mill for my 64cc Makita, I went ahead and got a 36". Then a week later got two more 36's because they had a demo clearance package that was two basically new bars, two chains, a sprocket, and oiler bolt (w one bar drilled for it already) for $135 US and they shipped free. Ridiculous deal. Have spent way too much time doing total top to bottom rebuilds (unobtainium seals and all) of my two old 87cc Stihls in hopes of using one of them, though seem plagued by inability to rebuild any of my three carbs and/or tune them to where the saws run quite right. Am very close now, but not 100 percent. The conventional wisdom about not going bigger than 60-70cc with lo pro seems to have been shattered by European millers who happily run 661's without chain breakage or problems. Logosol really pushed that forward with their mills in Europe, and opened up lo pro milling there.
Ran a 36" on my Makita 6421 just fine through a 15-20" mesquite, as fast cuts as anything I'd milled with. Only hangups were going around knobs on the outside of the log, when the mill would slide around and suddenly grab back tight to the log, that would bog the saw out. But that happens with all kinds of saws when it grabs back tight like that. People say the kerf difference isn't that meaningful, but cutting 5/4 slabs I definitely got more slabs out of that size log than I ever got with 3/8" or .404. For all the talk of chain stretch in lo pro, I milled at least 8 slabs with no more stretch than I get breaking in any other chains. Just took it easy and let it self feed. Been kind of preaching the gospel of lo pro in the US, but no one carries anything here so no one is trying it. The only people doing it are old schoolers who ground their own .404 sprockets into lo pro years ago. Trying to convince people how easy it is to order from Chainsawbars - got my last order in four days via DHL which is faster than I get domestic orders - but Americans think getting anything from overseas is some hopelessly complicated thing to do.

Back