Roasting a pig with Firewood in a pit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would you mind sharing your recipe for the dry rub? I've yet to find one from the store that does anything other than put orange color on the outside of the meat.

Iron worker is on to something. He may not divulge the quantities but the ingredients he has are fine choices. Finding dry rubs you are satisfied with is indeed difficult. Sometimes you have to go to those who have been cooking ribs for quite a while. The most common concoction (believe it or not) is a 50/50 mixture of salt and pepper -- start there and add the stuff you believe will bring the flavor you desire. Remember the finger taste test before rubbing the meat is not a bad idea either. I LOVE this thread :happybanana:

Iron worker is on to something. He may not divulge the quantities but the ingredients he has are fine choices. Finding dry rubs you are satisfied with is indeed difficult. Sometimes you have to go to those who have been cooking ribs for quite a while. The most common concoction (believe it or not) is a 50/50 mixture of salt and pepper -- start there and add the stuff you believe will bring the flavor you desire. Remember the finger taste test before rubbing the meat is not a bad idea either. I LOVE this thread :happybanana:
I never remember the quantities, I just know not to be heavy handed with the ones that are overbearing such as the chili powder or the thyme. I once made a BBQ sauce like that and it was the best sauce I had ever tasted and for the life of me I could not replicate it. I cook like that for the simple reason that I always have a different flavor, same with wood, sometimes more cherry, sometimes more hickory or oak, and sometimes a lot of apple or a little.

I've got a pork roast in the Dutch oven as we speak. We are heading to a friends tomorrow for the day so this will either be midnight snack or Sunday dinner.

this is my new favorite site for anything to do with smoking and pork or beef etc.. amazingribs.com/

also just got a masterbuilt gas smoker that did some nice dry rub side ribs. have a weber I wanna try the snake method for smoking.

this thread is making me hungry and it's 11 pm ffs lol

this is my new favorite site for anything to do with smoking and pork or beef etc.. amazingribs.com/

also just got a masterbuilt gas smoker that did some nice dry rub side ribs. have a weber I wanna try the snake method for smoking.

this thread is making me hungry and it's 11 pm ffs lol

The "snake" or minion method for cooking on the Weber Kettle is fantastic. It's a great slow method to cook indirect. Depending on how you integrate the smoke through chips or chunks etc. I've used it more than once for ribs and it works great.

Nice! A very popular way to cook whole pig this way is via a 'Cajun Microwave.' You can build your own, there are plenty of sites online for it.

Plus you can still cook food on the top where the wood fire is. We chargrilled oysters on one while cooking a pig and tailgating for an LSU game once...good times!

A Great Site with a lot of Great People who are more than willing to help a person. They taught me a lot over the years.
I hope they allow this link (OP's Pig Pit Posting) for now, we need something like this got get us going again and last but not least, a good use for our extra firewood. ;-) You might want to joing the SMF or at least get their free email.

Check this board out: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/

More rub, sauce and meat recipes than you can make in a lifetime.

Wonderful. I picked up a new customer a couple months ago. 2 Mexican speaking (one with no English other broken English) driving a big fairly new Dodge crew cab. Wanted to buy some wood. Tried to sell him well cured willow but he wanted "heavy" finally got the point across that he was going do to a pit barbecue. Fine, sold him $20 worth of Black Locust. Didn't look like enough to do much with but his business. He came back yesterday and wanted another batch as he was doing another pit. He said the locust worked just fine.

Couldn't have been much meat with so little wood. Only made about a rich and half crosswise in the bed level with the rails.

Back