root strangling trunk?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgf

Reaction score
Hi All, First post. I'm a homeowner. I planted a Shademaster Honey Locust about 18 years ago that has thrived and is growing well. I'd guess it's about 25' tall. When it was first planted I had put one of those rubber garden borders around it, and apparently one of the roots hit that border and was forced to grow in a circle, and it's now surrounding the trunk and in contact with the trunk all the way around. I've known about this for a long time, but was concerned that doing anything to that root would harm the tree. Now I'm concerned that NOT doing anything to that root will harm the tree. I've attached some pictures - it may be hard to see what I'm talking about. The root is sticking a few inches above grade all the way around, bit is somewhat covered by grass and weeds. Should I leave this alone, or should I cut that root and remove it from around the base of the tree?

Attachments

• 20211005_084509.jpg
    20211005_084509.jpg
    665.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 20211005_084527.jpg
    20211005_084527.jpg
    778.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 20211005_084548.jpg
    20211005_084548.jpg
    759.8 KB · Views: 47
Hi All, First post. I'm a homeowner. I planted a Shademaster Honey Locust about 18 years ago that has thrived and is growing well. I'd guess it's about 25' tall. When it was first planted I had put one of those rubber garden borders around it, and apparently one of the roots hit that border and was forced to grow in a circle, and it's now surrounding the trunk and in contact with the trunk all the way around. I've known about this for a long time, but was concerned that doing anything to that root would harm the tree. Now I'm concerned that NOT doing anything to that root will harm the tree. I've attached some pictures - it may be hard to see what I'm talking about. The root is sticking a few inches above grade all the way around, bit is somewhat covered by grass and weeds. Should I leave this alone, or should I cut that root and remove it from around the base of the tree? It's called girdle root. The tree has survived for 18 years and grown well.

Hi All, First post. I'm a homeowner. I planted a Shademaster Honey Locust about 18 years ago that has thrived and is growing well. I'd guess it's about 25' tall. When it was first planted I had put one of those rubber garden borders around it, and apparently one of the roots hit that border and was forced to grow in a circle, and it's now surrounding the trunk and in contact with the trunk all the way around. I've known about this for a long time, but was concerned that doing anything to that root would harm the tree. Now I'm concerned that NOT doing anything to that root will harm the tree. I've attached some pictures - it may be hard to see what I'm talking about. The root is sticking a few inches above grade all the way around, bit is somewhat covered by grass and weeds. Should I leave this alone, or should I cut that root and remove it from around the base of the tree?
It's called girdle root. Go here and read then decide.:https://americanclimbers.com/girdling-roots-can-kill-your-trees/
I think if you can see one, there are probably more.
OT

Doesn't seem to be harming the tree and it doesn't seem to be anything new. Looks like the tree has acclimated fine so I'd leave it alone.
I second the motion of this post…If the tree is generally healthy do not cut the root. Find something else to worry about. About 20 years ago a client asked me to remove a tire which a Bartlett pear tree had been set in a pasture fence row to grow through. I over-studied it and made several plans of attack. It seemed most practical to buy a cordless sawzall with extra batteries to take to her pasture. The more I studied the higher the job expense went. She got sick and went to a nursing home before I could sell the job, buy the tool and execute the plan. Her brother took over the property and showed no interest in the problem. I wonder about that tree today but it’s a 24 mile drive to look at it. The pandemic has made me a lot wiser about going to look at things like that. And the new 20-V li-ion tools are much improved for operating power.

The OP hasn't been seen since last October. Rarely is a girdling root a problem on a mature honey locust, they usually graft into the stump. Somethings are best left alone.

Back