Round file/round grind on a square ground chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCMtnHaul

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've been helping out a friend who runs a small tree service by trying to handle some of the tedious maintenance tasks and have a question about square ground chain. In my area all the saw shops primarily stock square ground chain but say that everybody then just files it with a round file which is what my friend will be doing. What is lost/changed/gained by round filing/grinding a square ground chain? On the surface this just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I have dabbled with hand filing square chain with the six sided triangle files but it definitely is a skill that takes practice so I understand people choosing an easier route. I just don't understand buying square just to switch it to round.

And I have tried using the search function--found interesting stuff but not the info I'm looking for.

Good question. It's not popular in my area so I have never ran it. My guess people round file it because that's what they know how to do. I would guess you would lose a little cutting speed, but I totally agree with you as to why you would buy it in the first place unless it's cheaper which I doubt.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Square ground chisel chain cuts faster than round ground (filed) chisel chain cuts faster than round ground (only option) semi-chisel chain.

When cutting conditions are less than ideal (dirt, sand, etc.) semi-chisel chain holds an edge better than round ground (filed) chisel chain holds an edge better than square ground chisel chain.

Mark

Square ground chisel chain cuts faster than round ground (filed) chisel chain cuts faster than round ground (only option) semi-chisel chain.

When cutting conditions are less than ideal (dirt, sand, etc.) semi-chisel chain holds an edge better than round ground (filed) chisel chain holds an edge better than square ground chisel chain.

Mark
Hey Mark, my intent is not to dump on you. I am learning and really want to understand your post, but without punctuation, I'm having a hard time making sense of it. For a newbie, any chance you can break that up a bit. I'm trying to figure out what cuts faster, what holds an edge longer under what conditions. Thanks!

Hey Mark, my intent is not to dump on you. I am learning and really want to understand your post, but without punctuation, I'm having a hard time making sense of it. For a newbie, any chance you can break that up a bit. I'm trying to figure out what cuts faster, what holds an edge longer under what conditions. Thanks!
He’s saying…in terms of speed…

Fastest is square ground/filed chisel
2nd is round ground/filed chisel
Slowest is round ground/filed semi chisel

Chisel ground fresh chains cut reallly well. And I think they might be a touch cheaper new.

filing chisel chains suuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccckkkkkkks even if you're good at at. and chisel grinders are expensive and somewhat rare.

So its just easier to file them round when they do get dull

I've been helping out a friend who runs a small tree service by trying to handle some of the tedious maintenance tasks and have a question about square ground chain. In my area all the saw shops primarily stock square ground chain but say that everybody then just files it with a round file which is what my friend will be doing. What is lost/changed/gained by round filing/grinding a square ground chain? On the surface this just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I have dabbled with hand filing square chain with the six sided triangle files but it definitely is a skill that takes practice so I understand people choosing an easier route. I just don't understand buying square just to switch it to round.

And I have tried using the search function--found interesting stuff but not the info I'm looking for.

I thought you always used a round file on a chain to get a "rectangular cut (or groove) like in the picture.

Attachments

• chain_sharpened.jpeg
    chain_sharpened.jpeg
    18.8 KB · Views: 4

Latest posts

Back