Runnin' Loads

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It appears to be a Aluma from Bancroft, IA. Not far from my place. They have made very good trailers for a long time. I was surprised to see it that far east!
Yes it’s an Aluma . Bought it at the Carlisle PA car swap meet in 2009 . Guy would buy a crapload of them just before the show and pretty much wholesale them . He had 20 plus trailers at the show and 30 or 40 at his shop.
There is a dealer here in the northeast seen a few of them around

Ya I have been quiet too long, not really liking posting and reading off a phone. I haven’t done much cutting but I have been hauling.
We had a big dip in temps up here, -34F plus wind for a few day. It’s now near 0F

Ol Honda moved a few Lb of fibre for the week.
Keep on .... Running Loads !!

Attachments

• 74A85B56-CA69-4788-AC44-FFCFA16EDF1F.jpeg
    74A85B56-CA69-4788-AC44-FFCFA16EDF1F.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 18
Cut down another dead Red Oak, and found the first 12' section was too big for my arch to fit over it. So, I bucked it where it fell then quartered it for easy lift into my carts for transport to my processing site:

IMG_0528.jpg

Then with some help from my son, we ran a couple loads through the snow covered trails:

View attachment 955313Alright, which one of you is this?
(Not my picture, it was posted on Reddit about 2h ago)

The bigger one would probably overdo it all by itself. I remember calculating that a 32” X 12’ oak I hauled was 4,400lbs. I had two and moved one at a time, on a single axle trailer with 12” electric brakes.

Hiked with Scout this morning, walk out temp was 11° F with winds averaging 7 mph, then started splitting and got a call from a buddy who runs an OWB for heat. He has plenty of wood, all uncut, unsplit, and unseasoned. Wondering if I could help a fellow out. Well, I am restoring my piles for a year of seasoning. But, I have a pile of the dregs of a couple seasons - the wood people leave at the bottom of the pile when they are loading their own trucks and trailers. I offered these up and he was thrilled. gathered up two 8' truckloads of this stuff.

IMG_0543.jpg

I wouldn't want to carry this through a house to a wood stove, but he threw the first load into a pile beside the OWB, and second load will be for tossing into it straight from the truck. And what he doesn't burn today and tomorrow, will make good weight for plowing snow Monday Morning.

Got to help a brother out

View attachment 955313Alright, which one of you is this?
(Not my picture, it was posted on Reddit about 2h ago)
A tad bit overloaded.
The bigger one would probably overdo it all by itself. I remember calculating that a 32” X 12’ oak I hauled was 4,400lbs. I had two and moved one at a time, on a single axle trailer with 12” electric brakes.
My last really heavy load - 2016 - green red oak. Now that I have a tractor with a FEL, I calculate the weight.
IMG_0944-001.JPG

A more reasonable load - 2020 - dry dead red oak.
IMG_5096.JPG

Ron

Stand by for a post with pictures, stories, and lots of videos (each one kind of short, and length labeled for your viewing consideration)

I had a large, tall, straight Tulip Poplar fall a while ago and I wanted it moved, but didn't plan on processing it as firewood. Confuses too many folks who only want Oak. I had offered it to a friend who mills wood, and who has a larger tractor and a heavier duty trailer to move it.

I had sawed it into 12' sections, and the smallest section was just over 20" diameter, the largest, well, here is the Dolmar with 20" bar sitting on the last cut:

IMG_0554.jpg

Well, my buddy's JD SCUT (2wd, turf tires, no rear ballast) was not enough to move even the first one. So, I sawed them each in half. Kind of ruined the milling prospects, but he has in indoor wood burner, and was happy to take it all.

Here is one of our hitch and pulls: (about 2½ minutes, with a music overlay)

That log got caught on a stump I hadn't cut all the way into the dirt (I don't like to bury my tip)

As the logs got bigger, they were even heavier for the load with the forks bolted on his 5' bucket. Kind of plunked this shorter one into the trailer: (about 1:20 with music overlay)

One of the next ones loaded needed to be shifted, and rolled into an available spot on the deck: (35 seconds of exhilarating trailer dancing by one of the OG timbermen

Finally, we took advantage of the frozen tundra I call lawn and hauled the first load off to his place: (1 minute pull across the lawn)

Thanks for watching any and or all, feel free to comment, subscribe, or ignore - whatever you feel like.

IMG_0553.jpg

Been a rough winter but I finally got back out. Clearing windrows on a friends farm and saving what I can. Got a few mill worthy logs out of it too. 1 good walnut and a few hard maples. Everything else is destined for the splitter.

Having this truck has significantly simplified the overall process. 1 hard day of falling and bucking, 2 loads out, and another 1.5 seasons of firewood into my woodlot.

Attachments

• 20220312_153626.jpg
    20220312_153626.jpg
    7.8 MB · Views: 1
Another … I’m back post

haven’t done diddly to actually running loads cause we had one hell of a winter. Tons of snow and lots of wind that drifted said snow so I gave up even trying to do winter cutting this year.

We are in the suck season now, warm enough for mud but not warm enough to shut down the boiler.

It’s gona be be a cycle of heat, rain & snow for a few days so I did up a trailer load tonight as the snow started
0859E125-8D73-471E-9C6D-6BE1B2AAED06.jpeg

1310DCEC-33E8-4928-A7EC-F4CCDA449C9C.jpeg
Made ya look at my bar …

Keep on … Runnin’ Load’s !!

Back