Rush jobs always go well right?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldtoolsnewproblems

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Had some saw trouble today and suddenly I'm down to only one working saw. I have help coming tomorrow and you never like only having a single saw on hand, so now I gotta figure something out fast. Well I've had this 61 with 25psi compression on the shelf for two years, and a new 268 to end in a box plus the correct intake... You can build a saw from scratch overnight, right?

I figure if nothing else this should be a laugh... Should have taken a photo when I got started, documenting my failures usually helps motivate me

Attachments

• IMG_20210902_022242247.jpg
    IMG_20210902_022242247.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 34
Well I was hoping to reuse the cylinder base gasket since I don't have a spare, and I didn't plan on tweaking this saw for extra compression, but when I bolted it together dry it hissed air like mad. Will need to actually clean the case better and use some Indian head gasket I guess. A slow leak I could have probably sealed but this was a bad one. Dang. Thought I had gotten lucky as the gasket was perfect looking when the old cylinder came off. Also had to cut a new block off plate, I didn't realize how much bigger the intake port was compared to 266 or 61, my kit didn't quite fit, and of course I labeled the wrong side.
I forgot this kit has a decomp, so I guess a base gasket delete won't be an arm breaker so sure, why not. Don't even need to cut to make it fit! Time to clean and reassemble and see if it seals. If the crank seals leak the gig is up tho, I don't have any on hand.

I can tear down a Husqvarna dirtbike engine at 9:30 pm and rebuild the engine and have the bike test ridden by 12:00am. My point is I stock parts in-house for saws too.

@trains got me onto permatex 3 and I use it on most gaskets now days. It allows for disassembly, and re-ensembly multiple times of gaskets, seals things tight, easy to clean up, no need to rush when using it either as it’s slow cure, but it’s ready to go when you are. I think he used it on planes? Or maybe just his workshop. Either way, I highly recommend grabbing some!

Good to know. I've always been a bit of an engine guy, but only in the context of air cooled VW motors. Ultra black is my go to select, works great, applies easy and available everywhere. Doesn't set to hard either so a clean up and restart isn't too painful, unlike Indian head gasket which is more a "Lord have mercy on your soul"type endeavor. Ultra black is no good for fuel tho, so it's useless for a 2 stroke, and I've never been able to find hylomar local, gotta order it so I never have it when I need it.
I'll grab some permatex 3 and give it a shot if it's available.

Once I'd borrowed a friend's beetle in high school and it made a rattle like it had thrown a rod bearing. I felt guilty (wasn't my fault!) So I towed it home on a stiff rope and had the engine fixed before dinner. Definitely a personal best, approx 7 hours from tow to restart. Turned out the accelerator jet had fallen into the cylinder. Nothing a little sander and file couldn't fix. Thank God, the motor was like 3 weeks old at the time. I told her what happened AFTER I got it started again.

This saw didn't go quite as well, I forgot the parts tank was was covered in junk. Made it thru the day fine with just the one saw, but I will be finishing this conversion! But now I have time to measure squish and do it right

Talking about quick re-ring jobs, back in the late '80s I was felling some boring timber out of La Grande, Oregon, with my Husqvarna 480 CD. That's the easiest saw I've ever torn apart. As compression was starting to fall off on that saw, I decided to take tools, rings, gasket, etc. out into my strip and swap rings during a break.
17! minutes from when I pulled the top cover off that familiar old friend of mine I had new rings in it and pulled on the started rope, bringing it immediately back to life. Surprised even myself!
That saw became a backup for the 281s I soon bought. It continued to function really well until I sold it years later to a tree service company in Jackson, Wyoming.

Back