Russian Timber Industry: What is this type of saw called??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When Russia starts worrying about worker safety will be the day the whole world will be better off. Talking to a former Army Engineer who worked with Russians removing mines in Bosnia, being half dead from CO poisoning would just be a good base to build on when they started drinking vodka that day.
They have a long history of being somewhat less concerned with the value of human life.
So many of their nuclear powered vessels (and aircraft) were so inadequately shielded from dangerous levels of radiation that they just had faster crew rotations to keep ahead of the effects of radiation sickness.
I think it would matter to the individual though, hes going to prefer the saw that doesnt leave him feeling like crap at the end of the day.

That looks like a back killer that only gets you the extra tree length equal to the handle distance above the saw. I commend those guys for being tough enough to run one of those all day.
Maybe they dig down and let the saw sit on a ledge in the snow and carry no weight with the handles? That way they just use the saw to turn it into the trunk? They have so many trees where they log I can't imagine that the extra 14inches(?) is worth the hassle.
That is a "Broke Back" chainsaw!! So you don't have to bend over while in the woods! ;)

I think it would matter to the individual though, hes going to prefer the saw that doesnt leave him feeling like crap at the end of the day.
I would imagine that they would apply the nuclear submarine principle and the cutter would have to decide, do I want a headache at the end of every day and have a job or do I want to feel better while I don't work and starve to death. Having worked in mills and for the Forest Service before OSHA, you'd be surprised at what you'll tolerate day after day to have a job.

Looks like it would be a nice thing to have to cut coastal Salal and other brush. Then you bring in a lawnmower.
I don't know how good that thing would be w/o a tree's trunk to support it. It would be like taking the wheels off that lawnmower and then having to hold it the right distance off the ground just using the handle.

My first job in the woods was shoveling snow for my neighbor who sawed. Showed up with my snowshoes the first day and he asked me what I was doing with them as I was to break trail! Can remember falling off a tree and sank up to my shoulders and I’m 6’4”.

I’m on the forester side now but there was a guy at another office who went over to Russia in the 90’s. Sounded like quite the experience traveling out to the tiaga in old military apc’s building cabins to live in etc. Apparently they were fairly strict environmentally which surprised me.

Russia does some surprising things including letting their population have fire arms Then they let Putin be autocrat for life and his friends suck the life out of the country.
I guess it's like what Joey Brown said in "Some Like It Hot" when he found out that the woman he loved was actually Jack Lemmon in a dress, 'Nobody's perfect."

My first job in the woods was shoveling snow for my neighbor who sawed. Showed up with my snowshoes the first day and he asked me what I was doing with them as I was to break trail! Can remember falling off a tree and sank up to my shoulders and I’m 6’4”.

I’m on the forester side now but there was a guy at another office who went over to Russia in the 90’s. Sounded like quite the experience traveling out to the tiaga in old military apc’s building cabins to live in etc. Apparently they were fairly strict environmentally which surprised me.
During the 90s the Russkis were apparently recruiting loggers to go there. It was a discussion going around in the woods.

I worked on a very hard core--gotta get the trees out before the blue stain sets in, humongus fire salvage project in Central Oregon. When trees were too big for the bunchers, they either ran a cat close enough to smash the snow, or there was a crew of guys who shoveled trees out by hand. The shovelers also made a bit of change by selling their made in the woods burritos to loggers and some were moving up in the world and learning to run equipment.

That year set a snowfall record and I had to either walk in skid trails or be on snowshoes or I would disappear. The snow was over my head. I got there after the snow had set up and a crust was formed so that snowshoeing was pleasant. I was there for two months and it was very interesting.

I studied Russian in college with an instructor from Russia; he said owning firearms in Russia, except handguns is quite easy.
You can transport a l disassembled shotgun; many Russian shotguns have magazines, if the magazine is removed it is considered disassembled.
He said many Russians in bad areas carry a shotgun on the seat beside them , with the magazine laying next to the shotgun.
Chain Saw -- цепная пила (pronounced tsep-naya pila.

During the 90s the Russkis were apparently recruiting loggers to go there. It was a discussion going around in the woods.

I worked on a very hard core--gotta get the trees out before the blue stain sets in, humongus fire salvage project in Central Oregon. When trees were too big for the bunchers, they either ran a cat close enough to smash the snow, or there was a crew of guys who shoveled trees out by hand. The shovelers also made a bit of change by selling their made in the woods burritos to loggers and some were moving up in the world and learning to run equipment.

That year set a snowfall record and I had to either walk in skid trails or be on snowshoes or I would disappear. The snow was over my head. I got there after the snow had set up and a crust was formed so that snowshoeing was pleasant. I was there for two months and it was very interesting.
I guess he had some really interesting stories. Brought back a set of skis like seen in this video.

Interesting you mention fire salvage sales and crazy snow. I’m headed out to check on one tomorrow that I bet the snow is for our five feet deep. I’ll take pictures.

Those are crude and much cheaper skis similar to the pricey back country fat skis. I've never skied on fat skis.

Unfortunately, after working on snowshoes, I equate all snowshoeing to be work. Oh, some tree marking trivia, the cheesehead timber guys carried a canoe paddle when marking timber in the snow. The snow was deep so we'd be on snowshoes. You poke the paddle down against the tree bole, wiggle it a bit to make room, and shoot paint onto the bottom of the tree. I was doubtful of this method but went back after the snow was gone and stump marks were just fine.

Those are crude and much cheaper skis similar to the pricey back country fat skis. I've never skied on fat skis.

Unfortunately, after working on snowshoes, I equate all snowshoeing to be work. Oh, some tree marking trivia, the cheesehead timber guys carried a canoe paddle when marking timber in the snow. The snow was deep so we'd be on snowshoes. You poke the paddle down against the tree bole, wiggle it a bit to make room, and shoot paint onto the bottom of the tree. I was doubtful of this method but went back after the snow was gone and stump marks were just fine.
Yeah when I was running my consulting business I came to the conclusion if I had to snowmobile to get there I was probably losing money. Had a couple cruising jobs pop up last minute where I had to carry a ski pole around to push down to find dbh which was just above the snow line.

They have a long history of being somewhat less concerned with the value of human life.
So many of their nuclear powered vessels (and aircraft) were so inadequately shielded from dangerous levels of radiation that they just had faster crew rotations to keep ahead of the effects of radiation sickness.
I understand rather that they had to hastily put together a defensive response to our nuclear submarine threat, and spent themselves to death to try match the juggernaut of the untouched-by-war US industrialization that grew rich and powerful in supplying the world while they rebuilt from war devastation on one hand, and cold war threats of annihilation by our reactionary jackals of US imperialism.
Funny how the end of the Soviet Union has not given us a peace dividend, as the working class are still bent over backwards to fund endless war for their Presidential Congressional Corporate Military Industrial Complex of Revolving Doors? Who's the enemy this year? What? Russia again?

Back